RotoMetals2Inline FabricationWidenersPBcastco
RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 310 round ball from 30-30

Boolit Master

The OP's question as I recall was for round balls. Not can I shoot them farther or anything like that. Thumbcocker got it right, they don't go so far. From my back porch I can shoot stuff out of trees with 'em and not worry about them traveling to the nearest farmhouse. I use .311's in a 30-30 or a Krag with 3.1 gr. of Bullseye. Balls are lubed with J-wax or whatever and a dab or FWFL around the mouth of the case after loading. Obviously there's a lot of variation in velocity depending on orientation of the powder. Shooting into trees for starlings, house sparrows and such pretty much gets the powder back. Just remember to elevate the muzzle prior to shooting and it'll work OK. If the rifle was/is sighted for it, I can headshoot sparrows at 50' or so with 'em.

A little humor (and data) regarding round balls:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-Krack-s-Balls
    Take a kid along

Boolit Master
    I like to grease the skids so to speak so i always chamber a fired case and lube a patch with some 3 in one oil or some 50-50 kerosene and ATF mix on a cleaning rod. I ram the patch a few strokes in the barrel bottom out on the empty case. I wring out the patch so its not sopping wet and the barrel is conditioned for round ball or cast wadcutter or even a cast hot glue bullet.
    From a grain of Be. to 3.0 grains, they never get stuck in bore. You can even shoot the bullets loaded dry for a couple three shots before repeating this treatment. I even used crisco on a patch to keep bullet lube from adding to the taste of a squirrel or rabbit meat. I never get any leading in any barrel and empty case keeps patch from lubing the chamber and action.
    I have a speedometer cable with a cleaning rod eye soldered to the end that i keep coiled in a ziplock baggy to use for this along with the empty case.
    Cleaning rod sections in a sock work as well. I think the conditioned barrel makes the round ball accurate out to 100 yards with 3-4gr Beye , from all my 30 cals . Just my 2 cents.

Boolit Master
    While i think of it i always run a damp lube patch in all my pistols and shotguns as well.
    Dad taught me to never shoot a round down a dry barrel. They are easier to clean and never lead or even rust from copper streaks trying to imbed in the rifling from jacketed bullets. Just use a damp patch and your first shot won't be high unless that's where you aimed.

Boolit Master
    For those round balls that want to fall thru the neck of the case, you can either clench the neck slightly with a pair of nail pulling pinchers (unsightly but it will work) or slip a wooden dowel in the case neck and make a dimple low down on the neck with a dull nail or a center punch and that will hold up the ball. The Finns used round balls and bullets sized small enough to be pushed down the bore to shoot primer powered and catsneeze loads before W W 2.
    They even rolled jacketed 220grain bullets between flat steel so they could push down a rifled bore. Using these with a dimpled necked case, they used a small charge of blank powder or a salvaged pistol powder to hunt with and wreak havoc on invaders during their wars. A small sized Jacketed bullet over 200 grains shot subsonic or less is a fearsome penetrator of an army helmet or thick winter clothing out to a 100 yards.
    They too wet the bores of their rifles with diesel fuel, kerosene or even a thin film of bacon fat.
    For hunting ,they kept bullet from contaminating game meat.
    Finns in National Guard in 1920's up thru the wars issued their recruits reloading supplies to use for hunting and target skills. They naturally were issued jacketed rounds to relaload in their issued Mosin Nagant rifles. Its all in history books if you care to dig, but you best hurry. The brave new world is recycling the old history books and busily deleting info they don't deem necessary to the people who don't agree with them.
    They closed the last lead mine and the recyclers are selling the lead to Red China as fast as they can get it. They won't sell to us because its an EPA regulation i was told. Land of the leadfree and home of the Sheeple. NOT TRUE, but just hang around and wait awhile.
    Ignorance is not bliss
    Sorry to rant
    You can bann me nowu

Boolit Bub
    More articles connected to thread and Alfred Packer post http://www.guns.connect.fi , http://www.guns.connect.fi/gow/arcane1.html

Boolit Master
    Kiitos to you Finn45Colt and welcome for the info.

Boolit Bub
    Ole hyvä, Packer.

I tried .30 cal roundball loads in X39 but prefer Lee tl 90gr swc with 2.6gr VV N310 (equals HP38) 800fps. More accurate and shooting game up to trees any small branch will make boolit unstable and it will land harmless not so far, I guess..

Boolit Master
    Very interesting links, thank you!

Boolit Master
    Woody1 and Alfred Packer, thats some good info. Todd/3leg

Boolit Master
    I was lucky enough to get a six cavity of that LEE TL 90 SWC when they were first offered.
    But the swell thing about that bullet is while it is accurate way further than a round ball, you can load it upside down to really knock something down at close range in both pistol and rifle.
    As a wadcutter, it will really blow a hole when shot from your rifle.
    I knocked daylight thru a rabid skunk that got inside my backyard with one shot.
    Really devastating load.
    Used five grains 700X.
    No good for hunting.
    Tears small animal apart.
    Just thought i'd add that in.

I have been using a no gas check round nose bullet originally cast for the 30 cal. M1 Carbine that weighs in at about 119 grains behind 7 grains of Unique. Works great....sounds like a 22 and NO recoil. It is a hoot to shoot!

Boolit Master
    That's the spirit!
    Load up and try em.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by hwilliam01 View Post
    I have been using a no gas check round nose bullet originally cast for the 30 cal. M1 Carbine that weighs in at about 119 grains behind 7 grains of Unique. Works great....sounds like a 22 and NO recoil. It is a hoot to shoot!
    How's that been working for you? I've always wondered when folks say they load this 'n' so boolit behind thus 'n' so load of powder. I thot mostly it worked better when the boolit was in front!
    Take a kid along

Vendor Sponsor

Welcome Fin45Colt.. Just love to see people here from other countries..
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Buddy
    Picked up a hundred year old S&W hand ejector in .32 long.........along with a bunch of short cases and loaded stuff........bein' cheap and hating to throw perfectly sound brass away I just rolled a batch of Lee 311 rb's in liquid alox and stoked the case with 2 gr's of BE...........stuff shoots like a champ and would be just fine for small game IF it had other than the minuscle sights it carries.........used those same RB's in BP buckshot loads in .12 ga........again soaked in alox........and the pattern I get with Grandpa's old single rivals my Browning A/5.

I have no doubt that a really light charge with a fast powder will do you well.

As an aside, years back I owned a TD Savage 99 in .303 S..........gun came with some really old ammo........rounded primers in a deteriorating cardboard Savage Arms ammo box, while the gun was almost mint that ammo was showing age cracks in the necks......that plus the fact I was sure the stuff was corrosive detered me from attempting to fire it, but of note was the fact that about half of that batch had multiple round balls seated in the neck....never tried to duplicate it but I have shot dual RB loads in BP rifles with good results........

Quote Originally Posted by woody1 View Post
    How's that been working for you? I've always wondered when folks say they load this 'n' so boolit behind thus 'n' so load of powder. I thot mostly it worked better when the boolit was in front!
    Still works....it all comes out in the end...you just need to turn the brass cartridge around and put a Magnum primer in it....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12