WidenersRepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger BX Trigger Group Vs Volquartsen Trigger Group

Boolit Buddy

Ruger BX Trigger Group Vs Volquartsen Trigger Group

How much diffrence is their between the two. Is the more then double the price of the Volquartsen worth it. I am considering buying a normal 10-22 for just plinking and using a mid range scope.

Thanks
    Art

Boolit Master

im sure the bx trigger will be ok for what you want to do. if you ever want to trick out the ruger and do some precision shooting, skip the volquartsen and go for a KIDD.

Boolit Master
    My 10/22 had a terrible trigger - I figure 10 to 12 pounds !
    Had to squeeze so hard couldn't get any kind of group.
    Got the BX, now I can shoot a proper group.

Have another 10/22 that is just fine out
    of the box.

'Spose I should send the old one out
    for a trigger job.

Boolit Master
    The Kidd trigger group cannot be beat in my opinion. The single stage trigger groups run around $200, sounds like a lot until you pull the trigger. I have one in my Ruger Charger, will buy another for the 10/22 soon.
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Boolit Master
    My 1022 had a terrible trigger about 8 lbs, put a power custom hammer in it using the std ruger springs now 2.5 lb cheap improvement .

Boolit Master

Hands down on eitger Volquartson or Kidd over BX.

BUT. IMHO, The BX is enough improvement for most shooters.

Having a perfect trigger is somewhat of a crutch. Yea it helps but generally shooters have many more serious issues stopping good accuracy than a clean 2# trigger...

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master

You know, I bought a BX for my 10/22 and wasn't that impressed. But, my 10/22 dates from the early 80s. I did a bit of smoothing back then, plus 30+ years has sort of worn it in. I would say the BX did reduce the pull by about a pound or two. BUT, I sort of prefer the metal my old trigger group is made out of. The BX is definitely more plastic. I may end up putting my original back in.

Boolit Master

Of course, it appears a current production 10/22 would be an entirely different story.

Dollar for dollar my vote is the bx......it's a huge improvement over the factory trigger, and for a plinkler gun it's a good trigger.
    If your trying to build a competition rifle out of a 10/22 you are wasting your money.....you can only do so much with it, a 10/22 will never be an Anschutz

Boolit Master
    Picked up a BX on Ebay for $52 and installed it today. I can't detect any perceivable creep. No gauge but am guessing it has about a 3 pound pull, maybe less.
    Well worth the money for a 2 minute replacement and the $$$. One of the better firearm related purchases I have made in the last year.
    East Tennessee

Picked up a BX on sale this past week during "Ruger days" for $42. Must be the answer to life, the Universe... Everything. (book joke)
    Seems OK. I have a VQ setup on my old mk2 that is just fan-fricking-tastic, but it's also sub-1lb. This BX feels ~2ish lbs.

haven't dropped it in yet to see how it feels. Like an idiot I sold off my ancient blued 10/22 a few year back as I just wasn't shooting it. The trigger was maybe 4lbs? and so smooth. Once the entire world started making parts for them I picked up a stainless one. **** barrel screw gets loose every time you look at it. Stupid stainless heat cycling :-/ Never did put any parts on it as the trigger was TERRIBLE. We'll see if the BX will fix that up.
    If not I'll probably look into doing my own job, or sending the original out. Rimfirecentral seems to love them some Kidd, so I may try that.

Squidtamer:
    42!
    Tony

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    As bad as the original trigger are , I didn't think Ruger knew how to make a good trigger so I bought a different brand .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master
    The trigger that came on my new Ruger Charger is good enough to be left alone. I have a brace on the gun so that helps accuracy more than a perfect trigger but I was pleased that it did not require immediate attention like so many triggers do.

Boolit Master

I have an older model 10/22 made in the late 80's. The trigger was a little heavy to suit me and after a couple of years of shooting I decided to do something about the trigger pull. I bought some replacement parts from Brownell's made by Ron Power and did my own trigger job. Turned out really well, now about 1 1/2 lb(guessing--don't have or need trigger pull gauge). Could use a slightly heavier barrel but two things keep me from having one: no one offers a barrel less than .720 to .900 and I am not going to spend $300.00 for a barrel to put on a $149.00 rifle. Yes, I am both cheap and onery, james

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    Hands down on eitger Volquartson or Kidd over BX.

BUT. IMHO, The BX is enough improvement for most shooters.

Having a perfect trigger is somewhat of a crutch. Yea it helps but generally shooters have many more serious issues stopping good accuracy than a clean 2# trigger...

CW
    Agree 10,000%!

Unless your factory trigger is absolutely HORRID, gutting it out on a plinking rifle is indeed a crutch to keep you from confronting your other issues. Being in the biz of maintaining cop's guns, lawyer triggers are the way of my world. Learning how to live with them and achieve good results in spite of them is time worth spending, as you then are no longer dependent on your special whiz-bang race gun to be able to hit anything.

In the case of the Ruger 10/22. . .that platform is now so modular that it's possible to build an entire rifle with ZERO parts from Ruger in it. Much like with the AR-15, once can go so far down the rabbit hole of pimping them out that one can easily lose sight of what a 10/22 or AR-15 was actually made for. By the time you dump hundreds upon hundreds of dollars into accuracy parts for Ruger's classic plinker, you could have bought an Anschutz Olympic target rifle that will smoke it seven ways from Sunday.

Short version - putting a Volquartsen trigger in a 10/22 that you do nothing else to is probably a bit nuts. Learn the stock trigger or get the BX.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    I've been around the 10/22 since before there were any after market trigger parts. All there was in the beginning was a hone to do it yourself and you could maybe get them to a nice 3#-then came Volquartson- then Power Custom- Then Jewell, sweet trigger but finicky. Then Tony Kidd came along with his 2 stage, then his trigger job kit. The kits are easy to get under 1# and then his superb 3&3 two stage.

The BX is a good trigger, but the custom job by Brimstone Gunsmithing is better, and about half the price.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Master
    I second the Brimstone. They did mine and it is a great improvement.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post

Short version - putting a Volquartsen trigger in a 10/22 that you do nothing else to is probably a bit nuts. Learn the stock trigger.

Bingo.

Winelover

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast