WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SWC bullets in the Ruger American .45ACP

Boolit Master

I tried everything to get my American to feed that bullet and it just wouldn't. I even sent the gun back to Ruger twice. I finally gave up and sold the gun. It was a good shooter of factory and RN though. I got the 45 because the 9 I already had is a great gun and digests everything.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

When you have something that works, it always seems like a good idea to stick with it..

Boolit Master

My Springfield XD45 won't work with SWC bullets. It will chamber and fire them just fine. However the slide and brass coming back will curl the edge of the next round in the mag.

But that's not the problem the OP is having. All I can say is try some different boolits. The RCBS 201 or 201 KT, the Lyman 452460 or 452630.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master

I just found this post in a search,,and thought i would comment.i have 2 of the rap,s in .45...the 68 style shoots so much tighter than 230 rn,,so ive been trying to use them.my 1911,s get a oal,of 1.250,and a tc of .470,,and feed flawless,but these wont even chamber in the Americans.so i started seating deeper,and it started feeding,so-so.so deeper still,,and finally,at 1.200,and a heavy .467 tc,,,the guns will shoot pretty reliable,,but still not perfect.I am also looking for a different bullet style for my raps,,,

Boolit Master

A gent on here sent me a few 155 swc from a mp mold,,im gonna fool with them,and see how they work,,with that long nose and short bearing surface,,im thinking that they will feed.

Boolit Master

I really think the raps,would benefit from the throats reamed out deeper.

Boolit Buddy
    Are you using a copper flashed bullet, by chance? I had a 1911 that would cycle anything (including an empty case) but would not cycle (FTF’s) a copper flashed H&G 68. Once I changed to one of my cast bullets (92/4/4) loaded to the exact same geometry, it ran like a champ ... and has every since. Just a thought.

Boolit Master

Shot the 452460 today,,no deal,,,that short nose slams into the barrell hood,,and sometimes the empty catches the drive band on the next one.

Boolit Buddy
    Greetings

A few things to try

First i found that the lyman 452460 likes to be loaded to an oal of 1.190 for my BE guns to feed reliable.

The H&G 68 oal is 1.230

The taper/roll crimp suggested by the NRA is .460 altho i crimp mine to .468 and they feed reliably in all my 45 acp guns.

hope this will help some one out.

John J

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12