RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: No. 4 rifle extractor spring installation......

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!

No. 4 rifle extractor spring installation......

On my last trip to my favorite gunsmith, I was offered a "junker-possible project" British No.4 barreled action. Now, at some point a 16" barrel was installed and the muzzle turned down to accept a P-14 sight. The rear sight was one of the types with a screw elevation, so that was a nice addition. Doesn't look like an amateur job either, possibly an attempt to create a marketable item "way back when"? There was no trigger guard, no wood, but the rifling appeared almost mint. The price was right (free), so I took it.

Got it home and rummaged through my collection of junk and found a birch buttstock and walnut forend, so those went on. The forend was cut down so that about 3" of barrel protruded. Found a trigger guard and borrowed a magazine from another No.4. Mounted a P-14 sight with JBWeld (hey, don't laugh.....it works) and took the gun to our local range. Accuracy was very promising with cast, but the extractor was "iffy". Examination revealed no extractor spring, so I cut a piece from a pencil eraser and shoved it on top of the extractor. I worked and I was able to keep shooting. At that point the gun was cleaned and put in the rack.

I finally got an extractor spring off the internet and that's where the fun begins. I did research on how to install it and found several different ways, but one video by an older gentleman (probably my age) seemed the best. I removed the bolt head and extractor screw. I then tried to push the new spring in using a screwdriver handle as shown in the video....no go. I finally put the bolt head in my small bench vise, positioned the spring and using a small brass hammer whacked the end of the spring. It popped right in. I installed the extractor screw after fiddling with hole alignment and the job was done.

So, that's how I repaired this little rifle and it should make an excellent "behind the pickup seat" gun. Now, if it would just stop snowing..........
    Last edited by 3006guns; 02-20-2019 at 09:05 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Your method of installing the extractor spring on a No4 bolt head is spot-on, 30/06 guns. I have a small brass hammer that I tap them in with. Fortunately, those springs seem to be tough little buggers because I have only broke one of them and I have been shooting No.4's since the early 1960's. Right now, the No.4 cut down sporters seem to be about the only bargain rifle out there anymore so they have become a good buy for rebuilds, parts or just something to play with.

Currently down here in Susanville, it's snowing AGAIN....This has been a long, cold, dreary winter but we do need the moisture. Last summer was the hottest ever recorded here and it dried everything out big time!

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetwalker View Post
    Your method of installing the extractor spring on a No4 bolt head is spot-on, 30/06 guns. I have a small brass hammer that I tap them in with. Fortunately, those springs seem to be tough little buggers because I have only broke one of them and I have been shooting No.4's since the early 1960's. Right now, the No.4 cut down sporters seem to be about the only bargain rifle out there anymore so they have become a good buy for rebuilds, parts or just something to play with.

Currently down here in Susanville, it's snowing AGAIN....This has been a long, cold, dreary winter but we do need the moisture. Last summer was the hottest ever recorded here and it dried everything out big time!
    Yeah, we have lots of "global warming" all over the ground here too. Remember when Enfields.......usually no.1 mk3's........were available in just about any surplus store? I saw them for $12.95 each, barrels full of them. Bought a couple too, in order to do my entry level "Bubbaing" when I was a kid.

Boolit Master
    I've used a piece of stout thread looped through the fold to pull the spring in while pressing down on it with a punch. Slipped right in.