RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
Load DataLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything

Thread: Beginner PP question(s)

Boolit Mold

Beginner PP question(s)

Still trying to get my 110 to shoot and am still trying some PP bullets. I know what grease cookies are, and how to make them, but if one wipes between shots, what good does a fouling-softening grease cookie do?? I am certainly not adverse to using them if they will improve accuracy....But HOW do they help?

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    The main benefit from a grease cookie in a target situation is the cushioning affect, but a person can achieve the same thing with a felt wad.
    In your Shiloh, you're going to want a .446 bullet wrapped in 8 lb paper with at the very least a .060 fiber wad, and set on top of about 105 grs., and quite possibly up to 108 of 1f in your Norma cases that have been inside case mouth chamfered.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

If you are wiping between shots, I’m not sure they are helping.
    Generally, as I understand it, a cookie softens fouling so that more shots can be had before wiping, or that a cookie makes that eventual bore wiping a bit easier.
    I don’t know where you live, but humidity does play a role in whether you need a cookie or if you do, how thick it needs to be.
    I say try it both ways and see what you and your rifle prefer.

Boolit Mold
    Don: Headed back to the basement.....Will build a few more and shoot them today. I can see the sun for the first time in days, it seems....High of 30 today. Got a 1-7 mix of NAPA oil and H2O ready to try as well....I have .060 fiber wads and have some PP try loads loaded but backed powder way off, thinking I was trying to push it too hard, but if 105 - 108 is 'a good starting point' then I will go up on the next few...Thanks again...Going to have to find SOMETHING that works pretty quick if I am going to make the May shoot in Alliance....So far I have been learning to make the rifle shoot rather than learning to shoot the rifle......

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    The 110 is an interesting thing to work loads up for. Fouling control gets to be a bunch more critical in these cases that use more than 90 grains. Once you find what the rifle wants then it's just a matter of keeping the powder truck coming to the door.
    I wasn't planning on bring either of the 110's to Alliance, but I can bring some rounds for you to try if you make it. I have a pretty good batch of them loaded that I was intending to take to Phoenix this week, but as I won't be able to make that trip, I've got the better part of a years worth of match loads sitting there ready to go.
    I wish Charlie hadn't of sold his rifle. Sure miss seeing him and his lovely child bride.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Banned

cookies can help with fouling and gas cutting, but they take up powder space. there is no real need for cookies if yer wiping.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookieman View Post
    Still trying to get my 110 to shoot and am still trying some PP bullets. I know what grease cookies are, and how to make them, but if one wipes between shots, what good does a fouling-softening grease cookie do?? I am certainly not adverse to using them if they will improve accuracy....But HOW do they help?
    The grease cookies fill up cartridge space so you can turn your 110 into a 90, which is what almost every 110 shooter does in the end.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BrentD View Post
    The grease cookies fill up cartridge space so you can turn your 110 into a 90, which is what almost every 110 shooter does in the end.

and then there's the opposite, which makes far more sense, where no cookies and a bore rider PPB can turn a .45-70 into a .45-90

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bigsmyl2.gif 
Views:	369 
Size:	1.3 KB 
ID:	236544

Still trying to get my 110 to shoot and am still trying some PP bullets.
    What bullets are you currently trying to get to shoot.

I have already given up on PP-ing....That resulted in terrible groups over a 3 day period.......
    Guess he's destined for a life of sticky bullets and leaded barrels