Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2RepackboxTitan Reloading
WidenersReloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: Need an oversized grip for a colt andaconda...any suggestions?

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

Need an oversized grip for a colt andaconda...any suggestions?

Pulled out one of my safe queens to start plinking with. I bought it new in 99’ about a day or two after colt announced they discontinued them for $489.00

I had one that was stollen out of my house a few weeks prior that I was pinpoint accurate with. This one must not have liked the same loads at the time because the groups opened up quite a bit.

Well, I figured it’s time to get some trigger time with it after all the years I’ve had it sitting.

I figured I’d try a wolf spring kit in it a week or so ago and found that there was never a lower face plate screw installed from the factory. I found one and put it in today. The wolf spring kit added another 5 oz to the trigger pull and another 2 lbs to the second stage pull so the factory springs went back in. I just polished the trigger a few minutes ago and it now brakes at a crisp 39 oz.

I’m sure it will help tighten my groups. What I can’t figure out is if my fingers grew over the years because the factory grip is way to small for my hand. I’m sure it’s goung to be limited to finding grips for this pistol but can anyone recommend a good oversized grip that will fit my hand for this pistol? I see hogue makes a rubber grip but from the reviews dosent sound like its much bigger in diameter, just longer.

I had an old Bali wood grip with a built in lazer that looked goofy I sold on ebay years ago. Guess I should have kept it.

I found a sight called badger Blackwood. I kinda like the green hornet or mystic river laminate colors.

https://badgercustomgrips.com/colt
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 02-19-2019 at 11:24 PM.

Boolit Master
    I have a set of Eagle grips on mine and they're pretty good. Decent wood, nice fit, and a good price. Certainly not the same as a high-end custom set of grips, but then you get what you pay for. I'd buy the Eagles again.

Boolit Grand Master

Herrett's will make you a pair.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Grand Master

I have the Hogue rubber grip on a number of guns. For the most part they are bigger than most. I've got Hogue on a number of guns, but I'm coming to like the Pachmayr Presentation grip better, at least on double action guns. On single action, the Hogue shape provides a better grip. I don't like finger grooves, which is a plus for Pachmayr, plus they seem to be the largest of all the common grips available. Besides that, you can't beat a Herrett Jordan Trooper. They are the best of the best for large hands.

I ordered hogue rubber grips today. I always liked them. Have a a set on my Ruger P85 and a pair on my desert eagle I sold off. Really like the finger grooves. Who ever made them must have the same size hands as mine. Found NIB colt V frame grips for $16 shipped so I figured if I don’t like them I’ll order some badger laminated grips. I don’t know if the hogue grips are wider but I can tell the grip is longer which is great so I don’t have to wrap my pinky around the bottom like I do with the factory grips because they are too short for my hand. I’m just not a fan of the open back from the hogue and was hoping it would have wrapped completely around the back and enclosed it. A complete rubber molded wrap around grip has to help with recoil I would imagine. I’m thinking wood is not going to absorb recoil vs the rubber grip.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 02-23-2019 at 03:23 PM.

Well, finally got my hogue grip in the mail today. It fought me tooth and nail going on. The stirrup came apart and 8 had to bent the clip that holds the nut back together along with the hammer spring comming out twice. It’s a major improvement over the factory grip but I wish it was wider. It’s definitely narrower than the stick colt grip. I might have tomake or buy a custom wood grip eventually for my large hands. This grip keeps my hand in place vs the factory grip that feels like the pistol wants to slide out out of my hand when I loosen up a hair to get a good feel. The hogue is sticky enough to grab my hand and long enough to almost get a decent pinky weld on. Definitely worth the $18 I paid. The colt pistol grip will be living in my safe for originality. Looks like the factory grip costs as much a cheap pistol to replace if I loose it!

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 03-15-2019 at 06:36 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Herrett's. They will make them to your hand size. Super easy to do and quality product that will last a lifetime

Boolit Master
    +2 for Herrett's.