RotoMetals2Load DataReloading EverythingRepackbox
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Packing the New 12ga Diablo Howdah ?

Lightbulb Packing the New 12ga Diablo Howdah ?

There has been a few threads started around the net about the new Diablo howdah pistols. I think they look great. I can't wait to get my hands on mine!

These are Black Powder Muzzleloaders and completely legal.

https://americanguncraft.com/product...l-black-grips/

I have a Pedersoli howdah 20 gauge, but it is just too big to carry. So I am sure glad to see this little 12 guage being offered.

This little 6" Diablo is going to be very portable and usable. I see their magnet attachment going on my boat and another mounted in the side-by-side for sure!

This thing should destroy a Rattle Snake! Might even get a grouse near the trail with some #4buck. Sure will be interesting to fire a 70cal roundball over the chronograph...This may even qualify as a hog stomper!

Many of you know me, and that I make holsters for a living. So my question for you guys is.. What style of a holster would you like to see available for the Diablo? I think this will be a tidy little package for your hip. They are small enough that a shoulder or chest holster should also work well.

The Diablo does come with a little ramrod, so whatever I do, I will be integrating a way to carry the ramrod and a couple 209primers right on the holster.

Please share your thoughts on this with me.

(And please, if you are not interested in the Diablo'...Please don't litter my thread with negativity.)

Thanks guys.
    Wes
    Last edited by freedom475; 02-19-2019 at 08:03 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    They suggest 1/2 ounce of shot--- wonder how it will shoot with the
    Lyman sabot slug 525 grains and about 90 grains ffg or fffg.

Banner Sponsor

WoW, that looks like toooo much fun
    From the first look at it, I thought it might be a regular 12ga pistol instead of a muzzle loader. It still looks like it will be a blast to shoot.
    I would think that a chest or bandoleer holster that could be tied down to a 4 wheeler might be a good option.

Wes built me a holster for my 70 cal Pinfire Howdah several years ago and it turned out great. I've got some old pictures around here someplace.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	70cal-01.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	236403

Name:	70cal-02.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	236404

Name:	70cal-03.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	236406

Name:	70cal-04.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	236407

Name:	70cal-05.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	236408

Name:	70cal-06.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	236409

Thanks Lar45... Sure had a good time getting to fire your old Pin-Fire Howdah all those years ago with John Linebaugh. Wow how time flies!

Boolit Master

Considering that the primary purpose of a howdah pistol was to keep yourself from being eaten by a large cat. . .

Your non-shooting hand (let's just call it the left one to keep this simple) is probably going to be busy fending the cat off of you - either by itself or with the barrel of an empty long gun. You are probably going to be starting the fight with your left side more or less forward toward the attack.

I lean toward a front-of-body cross draw for a couple reasons: first, from that relative position, it requires less movement once clear of the holster to fire a close-contact shot when compared to a muzzle-down, strong side draw (watch the Doc Holliday / Johnny Ringo fight at the end of Tombstone); second, if you ARE lucky enough to have both hands available in that starting position, you're fairly quick into something like a Weaver stance; third, if you find yourself dealing with a leopard trying to disembowel or castrate you with his windmilling back claws, this puts a large chunk of iron on your belt (as well as maybe your right hand reaching for it) to slow that action down.

Then again, the advantage to a standard hip location is that it's back out of the way of the attack.

Failing any of that, you should ask your elephant what they find most comfortable to wear.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaguarxk120 View Post
    They suggest 1/2 ounce of shot--- wonder how it will shoot with the
    Lyman sabot slug 525 grains and about 90 grains ffg or fffg.
    Well, it would likely shoot OK, but a lot of black powder would be wasted as it gets blown out of those short barrels. 65 to 75 grains is the typical black powder load for a 12 gauge shotgun. But those have long barrels.
    My flintlock 69 caliber pirate pistol, does really well with the .69 caliber mini-balls that weigh 750 grains. it is a handful with just 40 to 50 grains of black powder when shooting.
    This double barrel shotgun pistol does look great and I bet it is a hoot to shoot too. Even today it would make for a formidable self defense gun. I would want to find some 12 gauge mini-balls to fit it. Maybe 850 grains for their weight.
    Come to think of it my .690" mini balls would work in this too. Awesome.
    I think I have to get one of these monster handguns. It would go good with my .69 caliber musket and flintlock pistol.
    Last edited by Earlwb; 03-03-2019 at 11:56 PM. Reason: add more info

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    Considering that the primary purpose of a howdah pistol was to keep yourself from being eaten by a large cat.
    I would have loved to get one of those original Howdah pistols in .577 cartridge format or that monster revolver they used to make to shoot the .577 cartridge too. But I probably could not afford one.
    Last edited by Earlwb; 03-03-2019 at 11:56 PM. Reason: typo

Banner Sponsor

I saw an incredible pair of.577x2.5" howdahs at a gun show in Cody several years ago. If I remember correctly, they were $25k each.
    I would jump all over a modern double pistol in 50-70.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Earlwb View Post
    This double barrel shotgun pistol does look great and I bet it is a hoot to shoot too. Even today it would make for a formidable self defense gun. I would want to find some 12 gauge mini-balls to fit it. Maybe 850 grains for their weight.
    Come to think of it my .690" mini balls would work in this too. Awesome.
    Anybody tried something like this? I'd probably have to get one if this seems reasonable.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GL49 View Post
    Anybody tried something like this? I'd probably have to get one if this seems reasonable.
    I have fired the 69 caliber 750 grain miniballs out of my flintlock pistol. I use a old Lyman mold I bought ages ago. it sure does use up a lot of lead quickly when casting them. I used 40 to 50 grains of black powder behind the bullets. If I remember right the bullets had a muzzle velocity of around 600 fps or so. The accuracy wasn't all that bad, as you could hit a man sized target out to 15 yards or so. I will know for sure after I get the double barreled pistol to try it out. This double barrel pistol does have a shorter barrel length though. Being a close in type of gun, maybe 00 or 000 buckshot might be better. Or buck and ball like they used in the old days.

On second thought maybe the 69 caliber miniballs won't work. 69 caliber is more like 16 gauge (14 gauge), .72-.73 caliber is more like 12 gauge. I won't know for sure until I get a pistol.
    Last edited by Earlwb; 03-09-2019 at 11:49 AM. Reason: typo

Banner Sponsor

I have a 70 cal Pinfire double pistol that is about the same size. I shoot Lee 1oz 12 ga slugs in it with 50-60 gns of Swiss FFg, and it's not too bad to handle.
    Here are some pics

And Wes made the holster for it.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Now that pin fire is pretty slick. I would love to have one that fires cartridges. Nk real use just neat.

Boolit Grand Master
    Wow looks terrific Wes
    bet it will scare down a two legged varmint
    no problem
    should work well from your elephant basket as well
    way cool have fun
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Banner Sponsor

I asked Wes for a grommet of some kind on the bottom. Something that could be used to tie it down to the howdah(The Elephant Basket). So he suggested a piece of raw hide, I told him to have at it. I think this part turned out pretty slick also.

I have a new Diablo in hand!!! It came nicely boxed and packaged. And wrapped in a nice cloth bag.

This little devil makes you giggle when you hold it!..LOL If you like making blackpowder smoke as much as me... you will probably need one of these.

No shooting review yet...This is an early production model that doesn't belong to me. So I'm just getting patterns together for holster making right now. But I wanted to share some of the un-boxing pictures with you folks. I can't wait to get out and do some shooting with mine!

Boolit Master
    I just ordered one of these. You guys are really bad influences. I already have bunch of 72 caliber round balls and fiber wads. This looks like it will allot of fun. Holster? Cross draw is what I think would be best then if you wanted to use chest rig you could. This is going to be fun fun fun.

I'm not sure when they will be shipping our Diablo orders..but getting to handle this one is sure encouraging.

I have a mould made...now I just need to work up a classy way to add a little ramrod and a few caps (209shotgun) to the holster outfit.

Boolit Master
    Looking forward to your work and will asking for the price because you are really taking this to the next level. This is going to be fun.

Boolit Master
    Yeah I surmise there are a number of us breathlessly waiting for theirs too.

I also look forward to see what kind of holsters the folks come up with for it.

Boolit Master
    I had just got in my Diablo 12ga hand cannon today. They must have gotten in a lot of orders as I had placed my order way back in March. Yeah it needs a holster for sure. Has anyone come up with something yet?

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/atta...2&d=1569286960

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast