RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
Wideners Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it common to have to resize 45 acp brass several times at once

Boolit Buddy
    45acp are usually easy to resize and I never have to do it more then once. The only time I have to do it 3 times is when I'm forming new 300AAC cases out of LC 5.56. Brass spring back is a real thing but usually not something that you notice when resizing 45acp. Unless that brass was fired in some oversized chamber it shouldnt be that hard to resize.

Boolit Master
    I do not wish to sidetrack/hijack this topic, but I just wanted to mention that it seems to me that a "Bulge Buster" die might be swaging/sizing your cast boolit that you took pains to make .001-2 oversize, inside the brass you are trying to take out the bulge from, back down to a smaller dimension, wouldn't it?

I have not had the issues mentioned in this topic, probably since I changed over to using Lee Univ. Expander Dies with NOE plugs to expand & flare my brass for cast boolits & do not use the factory Expander die that comes with the sets, unless I would be loading jacketed rounds.

I am not trying to argue with anyone about the suggestion of using a "Bulge Buster", but it sure seems to me that it possibly could have an effect on cast boolits if you use one to fix the "wasp waist" bulges one can get sometimes when reloading.

I am sure they are great for jacketed rounds though, if needed.

Just thought I would mention it.

I am waiting to see if anyone here who uses them for cast, later on complains about leading due to swaging/sizing down their cast "boolits" ( non plated/jacketed) when using one of those Bulge Busters.

Like I said, not wanting to sidetrack/hijack the topic, just kind of "thinking out loud" but typing this post as I do it...

------------------------------

P.S. - The mention of those terms I put in the last post I made earlier was not directed at anyone in particular, nor was I suggesting that it was the cause of any issues. I was just posting it for those who wish to know more about what might happen as they are re-sizing brass, what might be happening to the brass they are using when they do it & also use the same brass over & over, what could be happening to that brass as well......
    Last edited by JBinMN; 02-20-2019 at 12:24 PM.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    I do not wish to sidetrack/hijack this topic, but I just wanted to mention that it seems to me that a "Bulge Buster" die might be swaging/sizing your cast boolit that you took pains to make .001-2 oversize, inside the brass you are trying to take out the bulge from, back down to a smaller dimension, wouldn't it?

I have not had the issues mentioned in this topic, probably since I changed over to using Lee Univ. Expander Dies with NOE plugs to expand & flare my brass for cast boolits & do not use the factory Expander die that comes with the sets, unless I would be loading jacketed rounds.

I am not trying to argue with anyone about the suggestion of using a "Bulge Buster", but it sure seems to me that it possibly could have an effect on cast boolits if you use one to fix the "wasp waist" bulges one can get sometimes when reloading.

I am sure they are great for jacketed rounds though, if needed.

Just thought I would mention it.

I am waiting to see if anyone here who uses them for cast, later on complains about leading due to swaging/sizing down their cast "boolits" ( non plated/jacketed) when using one of those Bulge Busters.

Like I said, not wanting to sidetrack/hijack the topic, just kind of "thinking out loud" but typing this post as I do it...
    Although the Lee bulge buster can be used on loaded rounds, I avoid doing this for reasons mentioned by JB. I run all 9mm or 40 S&W brass that I pick up at the range through a Bulge Buster to weed out brass that has been fired in unsupported chambers. (Easy to feel) Any brass that doesn't pass through the BB easily gets tossed in the recycle bucket. There's just way too much 9mm and 40 S&W brass on the ground to take chances reloading bulged brass. Gp

I do not wish to sidetrack/hijack this topic, but I just wanted to mention that it seems to me that a "Bulge Buster" die might be swaging/sizing your cast boolit ]
    It’s not intended for use with loaded rounds.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    It’s not intended for use with loaded rounds.
    Great! Thanks for answering the question I had! Had me wondering about it...

For some reason some of the earlier posts got me thinking it was being used by some with loaded rounds.

Thanks again!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Boolit Master
    Go gauges of the female variety (chamber shape) are always going to reflect the minimum possible SAAMI chamber size. Your pistol chamber will probably never be that small. So it is possible to have ammo hang up on the gauge that will shoot fine.

A go gauge of the male variety (cartridge shape) will always be the size of the largest possible cartridge.
    EDG

I’ve used my Lee BB for loaded .45 acp with no issues with lubed cast and PC boolits.

Moderator Emeritus

Quite a few years back, in my locale .45acp brass was in short supply, but a shooting buddy heard "through the grapevine" of a large quantity, available in lots of 2,000 cases, which was guaranteed once-fired, at a reallllly low price. Having heard, but not believing, "If it's too good to be true, it most likely isn't" a bunch of us bought a total of 6,000. Yes -- we not only got 6,000, but as it was sold by weight, actually a couple hundred more. All same head-stamp, too. EXCEPT, we couldn't size them. Apparently, they were fired in some sort of a machine gun (???). The solution was we got together and bought a nifty, albeit quite heavy, tool from Magma Engineering -- the outfit which makes the Star lubers, etc. It worked swell, and as a matter of fact I'm still loading and shooting some of this Speer brass. A video of unit is at https://youtu.be/v4L3Kw5u0q4 Not seeing your brass... perhaps it, too, was fired in something not supporting which boogered up your brass as that lot we bought had been. (Ironically, adding the price of brass at time and the machine together was within "pennies" of just buying good brass. Bad being the time and effort; the good, we have a machine never used since ).
    geo

Rustynails
    I shoot several different 45s and several different 9s. I load nothing but range brass and after some bad experiences I learned to size every one of them before loading them on my 650. I've picked up some VERY 'glocked' brass (both calibers) which gave me fits when loading/shooting.
    I have a Magma carbide push-through sizer for my 45s and a Case-Pro 100 for my 9s. I have dies for both sizers in both calibers so I can switch them at will. I don't have any problems chambering any of my ammo now.
    They BOTH are looking for a new home (as in - FOR SALE) as I plan to buy a new roll-type sizer which will do both calibers and do them faster.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TC2xTCb_GU

Have you ever heard of an anchor holding SLOW ?
    As far as some of us on this forum, we don't bite; We shoot !
    To see my images at imgur.com
    sign in as BOOLITCASTER
    password - 123456789

Boolit Buddy
    My Lee Bulge Buster does say for use on loaded rounds. I have done so. First attempts had a pucker factor involved. But using as directions advise, cured a problem I was experiencing failing to chamber.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian" Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by huntnman View Post
    My Lee Bulge Buster does say for use on loaded rounds. I have done so. First attempts had a pucker factor involved. But using as directions advise, cured a problem I was experiencing failing to chamber.
    I've used the bulge buster on loaded rounds as well. The push ram is cupped so as not to press on the primer. I to was somewhat reluctant to try it but the instructions seem to indicate that this is how the die is supposed to work. Still, it's going to size the cast bullet down and for that reason alone it's not that good of an idea Gp.

Boolit Buddy
    gpidaho thanks for the help. You added what I should have. I bought it to use on empty brass. I used it on about 300 loaded rounds instead of pulling them. QUICK FIX.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian" Henry Ford

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gpidaho View Post
    I've used the bulge buster on loaded rounds as well. The push ram is cupped so as not to press on the primer. I to was somewhat reluctant to try it but the instructions seem to indicate that this is how the die is supposed to work. Still, it's going to size the cast bullet down and for that reason alone it's not that good of an idea Gp.
    OK, Keep in mind that I Thank those who took the time to try to address my question(s), I also am concerned about the sidetracking/hijack of the topic(subject) of this thread.

Either it "is" or it "is not" supposed to be used on loaded rounds & perhaps there is some "caveat" that it is fine to use on loaded rounds with plated or jacketed bullets & not so good to use for loaded cast "boolits'.

I recognized from the description of what it does, that there is most likely going to be an issue if loaded cast lead boolits that were "purposely" meant to be oversize for fit to a bore, are run thru it.
    I have been told it is not for loaded rounds so that took care of that & others say it can be & perhaps "is" designed for them, since it has the cupped "post" to push them into the die.

So maybe it is one of those deals where certain options are available depending on the situation & what one wants the die to do for the expected results without causing issues down the line.

That was part of the question, and bringing it up was also for the consideration by those who decide to use it & then have issues as a result that are not what was expected. Like leading due to making the boolit undersized by the use of the die.

Anyway, once again, Thanks to gpidaho, jmort & huntnman for the info you shared, even if the replies were a little bit in conflict with one another depending, on the use each one uses.

Op & all... Please forgive the sidetrack/hijack, as it was meant to gain more knowledge & not an intentional mis-direction of the subject being discussed.

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

huntnman: Yes, even cleaning out a leaded bore beats pulling a big batch of loaded rounds. LOL Like you, I use it on empty cases. It's use , as stated in my earlier post is just to weed out the glocked brass I pick up at the range. Always good to hear from you J.B.

Either it "is" or it "is not" supposed to be used on loaded rounds & perhaps there is some "caveat" that it is fine to use on loaded rounds with plated or jacketed bullets & not so good to use for loaded cast "boolits'.
    They say case and show empty cases in the instructions.

https://leeprecision.com/cgi-data/instruct/1855.pdf

You are shoving a case completely through their factory crimp die. If you “crimp” just enough to remove the flare/bell and no more, because you don’t want the bullet swaged down by the case, I wouldn’t suggest doing loaded rounds.

Ok, we've about beat this to death so this will be my last comment on this thread. I personally don't think it's the best idea to push loaded rounds through anything other than the weapon they are to be fired from. Here is a quote from the Lee instructions posted above by jmorris. Bottom right just above the large LEE." Now slide a resized or LOADED CASE (my caps not Lee's) onto the base of the push pin (case mouth up) and raise the ram to push the case completely through the die." The end. Gp

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I got to say this is a new one on me been loading over 40 years and never owned a go no headspace gauge. Never sized anything more than once. Never tried the bulge buster die . I didn't think you could use it on 9 mm as they are tapered. I agree with others if they go in your chamber then your good. I do have a pistol now that i have to really watch my loadings s the case is not fully supported and at the hot end cases will budge dangerously. Can't use buldge buster as they are rimmed. Wouldn't if i could.

Boolit Master
    I completely agree with those that size & bulge bust every case. I do the same and figure I can spend the extra time in my reloading room and not the time being frustrated on the range with rounds that don't chamber.

BTW: Years ago when I wanted a custom 9mm bulge busting die made I was told that the reason the company would not make it was because the 9mm SAMMI specs. The specs show a 9mm Lugar rim size to be slightly larger than the base of the cartridge, so by SAAMI spec the 9mm Lugar is NOT a straight walled case. For those that believe everything is made to spec check some of your 9mm brass.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Baltimoreed View Post
    I’ve used my Lee BB for loaded .45 acp with no issues with lubed cast and PC boolits.
    For every warning/statement there is usually at least one denial. A bulge buster die is much like a Lee push through bullet sizing die. In 35+ years of reloading, for 7 different handgun cartridges, with many thousands of rounds, I have never had any need to resize my handloads with either a bulge buster or an FCD. I do not shoot competition, but I cannot remember any rounds that did not feed/chamber easily (and that's a lot of feeding, chambering, ejecting!)...

But reloading is very personal in the methods used and I guess any tool or method is OK, even if many/most consider them silly. So, it's your ammo, your gun, your time and money, and if you want to paint little happy faces on the bullets to make the target feel better when hit, go for it...
    Last edited by mdi; 02-21-2019 at 01:03 PM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    A 9 mm case is tapered. It is not advised by Lee because of possible issues of damaged die, but a 9 mm Makarov bulge buster can be used for the 9 mm, but as I said before, Lee does not recommend it.

A friend of mine does do it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast