MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to price and altered Smith and Wesson triple lock?

Moderator Emeritus

IIRC there is a 1st, 2nd and 3rd change in Triple locks. The 1st and 3rd have higher values than the 2nd. If the blueing was original, or redone by the factory [it would show a mark under the grips on the frame], I see it as low $2000-$1750 at best. IMO, it's a little too pretty to be original.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy
    I talk to him today and he still insists that the sights are Bisley sights and we’re done at the factory. Does anyone have a picture of an original Bisley sighted Smith and Wesson triple lock?

Moderator Emeritus

The letter from S&W says other wise. Pull the grips and look at the frame. A star shows factory rework and it would have been noted in the S&W letter.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	triplle lock.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	236627
    Here are two factory Triple Lock Target models, formerly owned by Elmer Keith. Note the rear sights. Somebody is being conned if someone thinks the gun you showed previously is a factory Triple lock or factory conversion. It is a gunsmith hack job which took at least 500 bucks off the value. I would pay no more than 1300, and would be happier at 1000-1100.
    Last edited by rintinglen; 02-24-2019 at 10:25 AM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    I treat Blue Book values with a grain of salt. The author of that publication (S.P. Fjestad) reportedly establishes his values by attending gun shows, auctions, sales events, etc. to watch the actual cash trading hands for any specific item and in its specific condition. He uses real time experiences to influence his published pricing. However, he is located in the Minneapolis area. Firearm prices in that location may be the same or different from any other location. The buyer needs to learn the pricing trends in their own location, and the Blue Book serves as a "close but maybe not exact" reference in that need. My greatest interest in the Blue Book is the amount of detail about all the various models of any specific line of firearm to help make a positive identification of any firearm I see. As some have said "the devil is in the details." Knowing the exact model designation of any given firearm will start all the following discussions about it.

Boolit Master
    Be surprised how a trip back to the factory ruins a S&W. I bought a really nice 32 S&W, not long. Story the shop told was it had been unfired. Has the returned to factory mark under the grips. Back in 1919, apparently it was just part of the service to reblue your gun. I went and asked in the S&W forum, yeap it was near worthless once the factory got ahold of it 100 yrs ago.

Boolit Buddy
    I still haven’t seen the revolver yet but I think I better let it go. There’s always another one. Thanks to all that posted.

Boolit Buddy
    "...not sure if I want to spend this much money on a gun that is not original."

Ann Landers used to say people knew what to do, they just wanted someone to tell them. It seems as if you have already figured out the situation.

I wheel and deal S&W revolvers. With out seeing it and information you give its not a $3500 gun. Maybe $1K to
    $1500 if in really nice mechanical condition. If it's a nice solid gun you have to remember that 24-3s in nice condition are at $1K -$1200. This is type of gun that suffers buyers remorse and is passed down through the system by guys trying to get out from under it and break even, if honest sellers.

Boolit Master
    I’ll go a step further than Drm50:

With no documentation on the work, collectible value is almost nil.

That would leave you with a shooter.

A 24-3 for around $1k is a better shooter, IMO. Better sights, modern metallurgy that would better handle heavier loads.

Unless you want it for the Elmer Keith experience (which is fine, I think it would be fun to shoot), I wouldn’t go over $1,000.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry41 View Post
    Be surprised how a trip back to the factory ruins a S&W. I bought a really nice 32 S&W, not long. Story the shop told was it had been unfired. Has the returned to factory mark under the grips. Back in 1919, apparently it was just part of the service to reblue your gun. I went and asked in the S&W forum, yeap it was near worthless once the factory got ahold of it 100 yrs ago.
    I wouldn’t trust S&W forums or Blue Book.

BBs valuations are absurdly low.

Boolit Master
    ******t. I wish I had not even posted about the BB in this topic trying to help out another member in good faith. Even after the OP decided to pass on buying the **** thing anyway...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dpmsman View Post
    I still haven’t seen the revolver yet but I think I better let it go. There’s always another one. Thanks to all that posted.

Unsubscribing, so I don't keep getting email reminders about trying to help someone & folks complaining about the **** BB, one after the other. Sheeesh. Reminds me of a nagging ol lady...

***** about it all ya like... I'm moving on...
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12