MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to price and altered Smith and Wesson triple lock?

Boolit Buddy

How to price and altered Smith and Wesson triple lock?

I had a friend approach me interested in selling a Smith and Wesson triple lock 44 special. The price he was asking seemed reasonable at $3500 since he said it was a rare revolver made for the Bisley competitions in England. He sent for a letter from Smith and Wesson and when it came it was found that the rear drift adjustable sight and grips are not original. The revolver is in very nice shape but has a few alterations to it. A nice triple lock is one of my bucket list guns. But not sure if I want to spend this much money on a gun that is not original. As to value what is something like this worth? Any help would be appreciated thanks.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	591B5145-1A4F-4698-8927-A4035FA4D9E0.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	236349

Name:	5FFBBBEF-801E-4E50-8AD7-35540F210BB5.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	236350

Boolit Buddy

Name:	69ADFF2D-ABA7-426B-850A-72BBF393BEB0.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	236351

That is too rich for a butchered gun. $800 to 1000 is acceptable if you really want it.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

My advice would be to get a professional appraisal. That’s pretty serious coin. JMO.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Banned
    Important to know who did the mods. If they were done by, for example, King, the value could be enhanced.

That said, price seems quite high. For example:

Description:
    S&W .44 H.E. First Model, Triple Lock, Nickel, UN-FIRED
    RL143 2313 A $4500

This S&W .44 Hand Ejector, First Model, Triple Lock was shipped to Cowdry & Co. New York City, NY on Feb. 10, 1916. The accompanying S&W Letter indicates that it remains in original factory nickel plated configuration, with the exception of the beautiful Pearl Grips. It was shipped with checkered gold medallion walnut grips.
    After 100 years it remains in beautiful un-fired condition. The only flaws noticeable to the naked eye is a small pitted area on the L. frame above the trigger and some minor corrosion on one surface of the Cyl. That was “down” in the drawer. The faint turn line appears to be from playing with it because it has NOT been fired. There are a few tiny scratches and handeling marks as would be expected. There are NO other flaws hidden by lighting or Photo angles. The Pearl grips are excellent condition. The bore and mechanicals are in matching excellent condition. This revolver comes with the factory letter and is an outstanding example for any fine S&W collection. Serial Number: 11756,

Boolit Master

Name:	44calbookpic.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	236363Pic & info in it are from the 36th Edition of the Blue Book of Gun Values by S.P. Fjestad

Note that it is the Second(2nd) row of prices across & down page, if you do not have factory installed target sights. The 100% condition starts from the left ($2750) & the "conditions" from there to the left are 98%, 95%, 90%, & down in percentage from there.

Factory installed sights are the 3rd row across down page. 100% starts at $5500

The 1st row deals with .455 Webley conversions & starts with only 98% conversions at $4650

YMMV as far as if you want to consider the values in this particular book as compared to the revolver you have in hand.

It seems to me that the value "maybe be" 98 or 95%, due to the changes from the factory finish to the present condition & being that they are 98% = $1525 & 95% = $1325, the prices obviously go down from there. It could even be less, or even more...
    You are the one to decide that... Unless you take it to a "Qualified" appraiser...

As far as how much you want to spend on it,and it being a "bucket list" item for you, then it seems that it is going to be entirely up to you to decide what value this particular revolver has, regardless of what anyone else thinks it is worth.

" Ones mans treasure, is another mans junk.", & "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.", are two saying that reflect the situation it seems...

G'Luck! in your decision(s)! IMO...Don't pay "too much." just because ya want it bad.. Suit yourself though.
    Last edited by JBinMN; 02-19-2019 at 02:11 PM.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

The folks I know who are into triple locks would likely be disappointed to see this conversion. It's not that modified ones are "verboten", but some are held in high regard (ie: a true King target conversion) while others are held in derision (ie: a 455 with the rear of the cylinder shaved for 45 ACP/AR). This style of target conversion, some refer to as a "hacksaw & file" job, is closer to the latter.
    One further consideration: the finish. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but given the work that's been done, I would expect a lot more finish wear. So, without a better look, I'd assume it's been re-blued. At least the little locking insert in the frame is still in the white, so maybe not?
    That's gonna knock down the value another 50% or so. Or not.

The value is highly subjective. Blue book values don't apply well to these old S&Ws. There's a thread on the S&W forum right now titled something like "You can still get a Triple Lock for under a grand".

Jim

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I told a similar vintage modified .44 Special Hand Ejector on GunBroker 6 years ago and after 3 months of listing sold it for $600. Yours may indeed be the same one, or one like it.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Moderator Emeritus

from my computer screen, besides not having all the original parts, those images show there is some bluing wear. Can I assume it has other conditions that indicate that it's seen plenty of use? LIKE: Cylinder play, worn muzzle, throat erosion ...even if those issues are slight, that knocks the condition down a few percentage points.

IMHO, it looks like a $1200 gun to me.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    I told a similar vintage modified .44 Special Hand Ejector on GunBroker 6 years ago and after 3 months of listing sold it for $600. Yours may indeed be the same one, or one like it.
    If you have any other triple locks you'd like to sell for $600 please let me know...
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Quote Originally Posted by NoZombies View Post
    If you have any other triple locks you'd like to sell for $600 please let me know...
    Yeah, me, too.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    from my computer screen, besides not having all the original parts, those images show there is some bluing wear. Can I assume it has other conditions that indicate that it's seen plenty of use? LIKE: Cylinder play, worn muzzle, throat erosion ...even if those issues are slight, that knocks the condition down a few percentage points.

IMHO, it looks like a $1200 gun to me.
    Unfortunately I have not handle it yet. This is a guy that I hang out with a lot of gun shows but he does live quite a ways away for me.

Boolit Buddy
    I’m not going to lie I’m really starting to get cold feet on this one. $3500 is no small chunk of change to me and I would have to sell quite a few guns in order to fund this one. You know the saying if it’s too good to be true it probably is.

Boolit Master
    Just a point about the Blue book info I shared.

I don't hold much in regard to such things. I did not even buy the book, it was a gift.

Regardless, it does seem to give at least some help, to those who might be in the same or similar situation as the OP & is better than nothing. That is why I offered it up as something to consider.
    Whether it is/was help, or not, is no skin off my back. A good effort was made to try to help.

Regardless of what the OP decides, and it seems he posted now & says he is getting a bit of cold feet. ( & I don't blame him. I don't own "safe queens", I shoot my firearms like most were meant to be, when made.)

It will all come down to whether he does buy it, or not.

I do notice that the listing is not being presented here as far as information for someone else to contact the seller, so that is an interesting aside from this thread.

So, perhaps there is still a chance of this revolver going off the market anyway.

I enjoyed checking out this topic & thanks to all for the posts that gave me that enjoyment!

G'Luck! to ya, Dpmsman!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Banned
    IMHO, the BlueBook is a book for dealer by dealer to rook the unwary. Dealers will whip it out at a show to convince you to sell YOUR gun for chump change. BUT if you quote it to them, it's suddenly wrong. The ONLY accurate source of gun values is prices realized (incl buyers premium) at major auction house gun auctions. Those are the prices real experts are willing to pay, not some book's opinion. Watching them also alerts you to trends, such as the crash in values of fine American & European single shot rifles, Winchester M 12 shotguns etc..

Boolit Master
    Are there actually guns made in 1916 that have NOT been fired? Just find it hard to believe in the last 100 yrs, someone has not put a round thru it. I could not imagine keeping a gun that long, passed thru several sets of hands, moved around, kept oiled and yet nobody said 'lets shoot it'.

I have not known that blue book to be much use, except as noted a way for gun shops to stick it to you. I had an HK33, not made by HK, but ATI, converted military weapon. I paid $1200 NIB, then less than 100rds later a shop tells me nah it would only sell for $800, they can give me $600, including the $300 worth of mags I had bought for it. At a time when I could not find a single rifle like it for sale in the US, and easily sold it for $1400 on armslist.

Boolit Buddy

Post your information at http://smith-wessonforum.com/
    You'll get a good estimate of the gun's value.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SvenLindquist View Post
    IMHO, the BlueBook is a book for dealer by dealer to rook the unwary. Dealers will whip it out at a show to convince you to sell YOUR gun for chump change. BUT if you quote it to them, it's suddenly wrong. The ONLY accurate source of gun values is prices realized (incl buyers premium) at major auction house gun auctions. Those are the prices real experts are willing to pay, not some book's opinion. Watching them also alerts you to trends, such as the crash in values of fine American & European single shot rifles, Winchester M 12 shotguns etc..

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry41 View Post

I have not known that blue book to be much use, except as noted a way for gun shops to stick it to you. I had an HK33, not made by HK, but ATI, converted military weapon. I paid $1200 NIB, then less than 100rds later a shop tells me nah it would only sell for $800, they can give me $600, including the $300 worth of mags I had bought for it. At a time when I could not find a single rifle like it for sale in the US, and easily sold it for $1400 on armslist.
    Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    Just a point about the Blue book info I shared.

I don't hold much in regard to such things. I did not even buy the book, it was a gift.

Regardless, it does seem to give at least some help, to those who might be in the same or similar situation as the OP & is better than nothing. That is why I offered it up as something to consider.
    Whether it is/was help, or not, is no skin off my back. A good effort was made to try to help.

Regardless of what the OP decides, and it seems he posted now & says he is getting a bit of cold feet. ( & I don't blame him. I don't own "safe queens", I shoot my firearms like most were meant to be, when made.)

Well, even though I posted that I was not a fan of the Blue books, it seems I may be being chastised for even posting up what was in one, even though I was TRYING TO HELP someone here on the forum.

I won't forget about the folks pointing out the error of my ways in doing so. I assure ya.

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks to all that replied! JB i appreciate the blue book info.

Banned
    JB, nobody is faulting you. Folks are just pointing out that the BB is questionable.

The only way to find out what something is worth is to put it in a big national auction and see what folks are willing to pay.

Barrett Jackson does this with cars. Their results set prices for like items.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast