RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad DataWideners
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: WW's from a 2007 score.

WW's from a 2007 score.

Back in June of 2007, I managed to score 1,400 pounds of WW's from a tire shop. I have yet to touch them, just have them tucked away in the corner of the garage.

In the past few years, I know the composition of WW's have changed. Zinc, iron, pure lead stick on...etc.

My question is, I wonder if it's all pretty much just good ole' WW's the way we always knew them? Lead/Antimony/Tin?

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

You'll know pretty quick, but of the ones I've had from that vintage, I never ran across any Zinc.
    And up until a few years ago, nobody even mentioned it.

If I did run across anything worse that the stick 'm tape ones used on Mag. rims- I wasn't smart enough to realize it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

I expect there may be some steel and zinc weights in there but there should be more lead weights than you see now days. I would still sort them. I remember having an occasional weight that didn't want to melt even back in the 70's. I didn't know what it was then back then and just kept pushing it under until it melted!

Thats a nice stash of weights!

Wheel weight alloy has changed a little bit over the years. I don't know exactly when but weights from the 70's and maybe the 80's had a little more tin. Yours may or may not be like that.

Nice score. I would bet you have about 90% lead alloy ww. We didn't start seeing a lot of zinc & steel until Kalif banned lead ww, about 8yr ago..
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    I would probably do two things. Sort and cook over low heat. Not sure when this zinc/steel ** started but you don't need to mess up good lead with zinc. Steel will not melt at normal leadd temp. Sort a couple hundred pounds. Your score may predate zinc wheel weights. Melt at low (600*) temp and if some don't want to melt throw them out. You have lots of lead so don't mess it up. Weights that were slow to melt that you took out. Put them in a separate pile and try to melt them separately. If they melt and cast good boolits, fine. If not , that is what the trash is for. Enjoy your stash Murph.