Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Load DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Wideners

Thread: Noob question one

Boolit Mold

Noob question one

Can a 45-70 be loaded down to a milder recoiling round, using FF GOEX, trailboss, hodgdon 4895, or filler?

Thanks

You're on the right track. Stick within the parameters in the loading manuals.
    The biggie for reduced recoil though is to stay on the lighter side of available boolits.

I shoot a few 70gr of FF under a 405gr cast.
    Its about the most pleasant load I've found.
    It might be my imagination, but I think the pressure curve for FF comes on slower, and its more of a push
    on the butplate compared to being hit with a hammer like some smokeless powders feel.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 02-18-2019 at 10:55 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

I load 45-70 and 45-90 with 1F Olde Ensforfe the coarser granulation fills the case faster and then can be adjusted to velocity with compression and added charge. My load with 1F and a 550 grn bullet is giving 1190 fps and 12 fps extreme Spread over 10 rounds and tested several different days.
    To me Black Powder loads recoil is more a push while smokeless feel like a sharper crack. Same with the report the BP loads are a thud like thunder in the distance whie smokeless is a sharper crack.
    As to fillers I use a .060 napa rubber fiber wad and 2 .002 tracing paper wads between powder and bullets base. I have shot very few smokeless powder loads and have not used any wads or fillers with them.

Unique + light boolits = fun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Lighter bullets will reduce recoil ( also range at times). Velocity lowered also reduces felt recoil. Rifle weight makes a big difference in felt recoil, a 7 LB rifle recoils more than a 9lb rifle and a 9lb rifle is more than the 12 lb rifles. Depending on the rifle a lead weight in buttstock and forearm adding 2-3 lbs ( this way allows for balance to be maintained) really reduces felt recoil. If the weights are blocked in place thay can be removed or hunting if so desired. Another option is one of the mercury recoil reducers installed in the buttstock.
    Last is stocks fit to you and the butt plates width make a big difference in felt recoil. A butt stock that fits as to length of pull and comb height is much easier ion you. aa slightly wider srock and buttplate spreads recoil over a larger area.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hillbillydruggist View Post
    Can a 45-70 be loaded down to a milder recoiling round, using FF GOEX, trailboss, hodgdon 4895, or filler?

Thanks
    It can but I wouldn't recommend using that stuff all at once. .

Boolit Master

Research "trapdoor" loads here. These are lighter loads designed to be safe for antique trapdoor actions. Once you have a better grip on basics, you can experiment with unique or reddot loads and gallery loads. Stick to published data until you are willing to take your life into your own hands. Look into 4895 reduced or youth loads too.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Grand Master

Also pick up the Lyman Cast Bullet book. It has lots of loads, from mild to wild.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    look up the carbine load it was a 405 gr bullet with 50 gr. 1f.

Boolit Buddy
    TBG has the answer. 12-15gr Unique, 300-330g bullet very accurate, low recoil. 29gr 5744 is also good.

Boolit Grand Master

"Can a 45-70 be loaded down to a milder recoiling round"

Milder recoiling compared to what 45-70 load in what rifle?
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Trapdoor loads may be your ticket. The Lyman manual has three different versions of 45-70 load data... all of which are capable of being shot in a modern firearm. Even the online Hodgedon reloading site has data for "Trapdoor" "Lever Action" and "Modern Rifles" using cast boolits.
    He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High Will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. -Psalm 91:1

Boolit Grand Master

Be aware that even trapdoor loads in a light rifle and steel buttplate will hurt. It is more boolit weight than load that hurts. Get a Gould mold - Lyman 457122, and enjoy; get the Army mold, Lyman 457125 and hurt.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Tex is right again. Unique in a .45-70 is fun. From a 350gr to a 500gr 10 grs of unique is all ya need but never use fillers it could ring the chamber. Black powder is cool too if you don't mind the clean up.