Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Casting Furnaces

I've got a Lyman 25 and like it, it's a lot better than the lee (but then again it's quite a bit more $$$). I'd buy another one, but would like to try the RCBS.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks all. I will be waiting for Brownells to get the RCBS back in stock.

Boolit Master

It is an interesting time. Probably no better time for the availability of great quality molds. But with the retirement of the Pro Melt, we are basically left with Chinese made units from Lyman or RCBS and the Lee. That is unless stepping way up to a Magma. I do love my Pro Melt.

Boolit Buddy
    I have an old black Ohio Thermal (rcbs) pot that has been great for many years. When it stopped heating I was going to buy a new one. I opened it up and saw that the off/on switch looked over heated. I replaced the switch and expect it will last another 40 years. I would suggest you get the RCBS.

Boolit Bub
    I switched My three year old Promelt to pull down rather than lift for pouring, and it really helped with old age and the visits from Arthur. ;<)

I really enjoy the Pro-Melt!

KnifeMaker

Boolit Master

Well trying the new RCBS pot this time ordered Pro Melt 2 off Amazon for 188.00 with tax and shipping. See how this one works.

My Lee 10lb pot heating element went on it .I had replace it about 2 to 3 years ago and did not think it would go that fast. Now Lee dose not make the element anymore. I am use a Lyman Big dipper now. In time will look into another bottom pour but not now . Like to hear bout RCBS what you all are saying about them
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by trapper9260 View Post
    My Lee 10lb pot heating element went on it .I had replace it about 2 to 3 years ago and did not think it would go that fast. Now Lee dose not make the element anymore. I am use a Lyman Big dipper now. In time will look into another bottom pour but not now . Like to hear bout RCBS what you all are saying about them
    Do you mean this part? https://leeprecision.com/new-heater-500w120v.html

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p-1100.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	3.9 KB 
ID:	239373

Boolit Master

It’s hard to beat the original Pro Melt. Mine is almost 40 years old and still going strong.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    It’s hard to beat the original Pro Melt. Mine is almost 40 years old and still going strong.
    Your pro melt stopped being made years ago even the last Pro Melts that looked like yours were made in China. We will see how this on does.

Quote Originally Posted by Valley-Shooter View Post
    Yes that is the part ,they have them for 20lb , but not the 10lb. that I found. Or I miss it some where for them.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by trapper9260 View Post
    Yes that is the part ,they have them for 20lb , but not the 10lb. that I found. Or I miss it some where for them.
    I believe the 20 lb. pot takes the 700 watt element. Lee's site shows the 500w above for the Prod Pot IV as above. Seems to have been a part number change is all.
    Mike

Benefactor Member NRA
    Life Member Iowa Firearms Coalition
    US Army Vet

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
    One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams 1826

Quote Originally Posted by Mike W1 View Post
    I believe the 20 lb. pot takes the 700 watt element. Lee's site shows the 500w above for the Prod Pot IV as above. Seems to have been a part number change is all.
    Ok thank you for your help .

Banned
    trapper, call lee, their # is at the bottom of their web page Lee Precision | 4275 County Road U | Hartford, WI 53027 | phone (262) 673-3075

I had check Lee and see what they wanted for it, then I check Titian that there banner on here also and they had ask for less then Lee have and have one on the way now. Thank you all for the help. It will give me more time to play with when I want to up grade if I find the money for one. I have this Lee 10lb for I forgot how many years now. But a long time.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dannyd View Post
    Your pro melt stopped being made years ago even the last Pro Melts that looked like yours were made in China. We will see how this on does.
    True, but when they show up at gun shows or yard sales they’re still hard to beat. I didn’t intend to suggest that they’re available new.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Not sure if the new Pro Melt II is like the Easy Melt, but that one has reviews saying you need to leave the internal fan going for 2-2.5 HOURS to avoid cooking the circuit board. That's kind of a turn-off to me. Love the quality and built in temp control, but...2.5 HOURS?
    "Are you gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Captain*Kirk View Post
    Not sure if the new Pro Melt II is like the Easy Melt, but that one has reviews saying you need to leave the internal fan going for 2-2.5 HOURS to avoid cooking the circuit board. That's kind of a turn-off to me. Love the quality and built in temp control, but...2.5 HOURS?
    The PM II has an internal PID. You need to let it cool off before you unplug it.
    NRA Benefactor.

OK, same as the Easy Melt then.
    I like them 'on paper' a lot more than the Lee funaces (Lee Magnum Melter is ladle-pour only, (no spigot to drip) holds 20# lead (supposedly) and has a manual temp rheostat but no built in temp control or thermometer), but the potential for cooking a PID if your fan fails or if you pop a fuse or CB has me leery. One of the reviewers on the Midway site said his fan quit after a few hours of operation while casting and it in turn fried the PID.
    That worries me. You could buy 3 Magnum Melts for the price of one PM II, and 2 for the price of an Easy Melt.
    "Are you gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Boolit Master
    Knowing what I know, if my old Pro Melt died I would search to find a used one or look into making my own pot. For the dollars a good pot costs it would easily pay for the needed materials and it doesn't look like it would be that difficult to make a pot capable of holding twice the amount.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12