Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Effect of having a muzzle break?

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=fatelk;4582896].
    As to loud, I always were double hearing protection with them, because that ringing in your ears could end up being permanent if you forget!

It is the sign of permanent damage.
    Does every one wear double ear protection?
    I think not.
    Do you ask the person next to you if they mind if you focus all your muzzle blast and excreta at them with a angled brake?

Just because you are inside the cone of blast why should others have to suffer.

I would gladly shoot my rifle several inches from your ear so you too can get the full benifit as some designs and expect you to suck it up sweet heart.

O.k. They serve a purpose.
    But i’m Not in a war zone under fire either.

That said. Have a nice day.

Boolit Master

I would gladly shoot my rifle several inches from your ear so you too can get the full benifit as some designs and expect you to suck it up sweet heart.
    I'm glad we don't shoot on the same continent, and I ain't your sweet heart.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44Blam View Post
    I had a muzzle break on a .308 rifle
    I you had a break in your muzzle you should have it cut back and re-crowned.
    Literacy should not be considered optional in computer based communication.

Boolit Buddy milsurpcollector1970's Avatar
    I have a ops inc brake on my MK12 mod 0 clone The baffles are vertically oriented. It’s a little louder but not much .223 cal I don’t need it but it’s part of the clone look.

Courtesy at the range is important. I have personally never met a rude person at my club. I am always very polite. Public ranges not so much.

I would never get in an argument with someone with guns around. I would just leave.

Quote Originally Posted by milsurpcollector1970 View Post
    I have a ops inc brake on my MK12 mod 0 clone The baffles are vertically oriented. It’s a little louder but not much .223 cal I don’t need it but it’s part of the clone look.

Courtesy at the range is important. I have personally never met a rude person at my club. I am always very polite. Public ranges not so much.

I would never get in an argument with someone with guns around. I would just leave.
    That is what I would do as well.
    The only time I ever got into an argument with a person on the range, he was pointing a loaded AR in my direction(I was standing behind the benches and off to one side) with his hand on the grip and his finger inside the trigger guard. He had turned around to talk to his friend who was behind him and not put down his rifle.
    Needless to say he got an ear full.
    They would not tell me who they were so I never got to report them.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fatelk View Post
    I'm glad we don't shoot on the same continent, and I ain't your sweet heart.
    Me too.
    Maybe you should acquaint yourself on the dB scale.
    Read up muzzle brakes and how they work.
    Go ask your audiologist of his opinion.
    Maybe he explain things too you.

Since we are supposed to be all growed up an responsible adults and all that.

Personally I don’t give a monkeys toss if people are using muzzle brakes and other things as long as they keep within your allotted area with your like minded people.

When you come into my zone of the range and expect or demand respect or curtesy.

Boolit Master

FYI, I have excellent hearing, better than most. I have it checked regularly for work. I have also been around shooters with muzzle brakes a fair amount over the years, both behind the trigger and nearby. I haven't always used double hearing protection either, but have become more cautious about such things in recent years.

So, the assertion that muzzle breaks as a rule will inevitably damage your hearing no matter what is factually and demonstrably incorrect.

Perhaps your experience has been with a different kind of brake; I don't know. I have shot very, very little around big guns with brakes. All I know is my own personal experience, and it has been quit different. This leads me to believe that some people are simply grouchy, hate things that irritate them, and make the hazards into something bigger than they are in attempt to get whatever they don't like restricted.

As I said previously, I'm always as courteous as possible at the range. What set me off a little was the angry tone of your first post, and the threat to shove a rifle up someone's "kallacka" (whatever that is).

Boolit Master
    I lost 10 % of my hearing because of some discourteous idiot

Why should I even consider allowing people with them near me.

I have to wear ear muffs to do more things now than ever to do day to day things or my titinnus plays up real bad.

I’m glad that you are immune to hearing loss and hope the ringing in your ears keeps going away.

Go forth and god bless all that sail with you.

I must be one of those weird peoples.

Cloaca sorry not kallacka
    Last edited by barrabruce; 03-07-2019 at 11:23 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I detest the loud stupid things. Oh, muzzle brakes? I thought we we talking about Democrats. I don't care for muzzle brakes either!
    Well said, sir!!!

If this thread were about trap shooting it would be: 7 1/2s or 8s?

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Back in 00’ when they became the new fad on factory rifles. I had a few KDF brakes installed on my 300 and 375 RUMs. I fired my 300 antelope hunting one day. I couldn’t hear for a week and lost some of my hearing. My face felt like it was sunburnt on the right side and my right ear rang for days. I repeated it again shooting my POF P415 two years ago. I had blood comming out of my ear and it hurt like bruise or a bee sting. Ruined my hunt as I was in too much pain to go out and call in more predators. After five days the pain went away enough to put in foam flags...all I had at the time, now I use razor slim muffs with foam ear plugs doubled up. so I could shoot it again. I WILL not hunt without muffs using a brake AGAIN and all the brakes that aren’t pinned come off for hunting. I’ll take the recoil all day long. My ear still hurts as I type...no lie.

I still don’t understand to this day why all tactical AR15’s have brakes in them. If military or LEO was out trying to save the world they would bleed out...of their ears trying. Still don’t know why Ruger put a brake on the 450BM American. Maybe for sub MOA shooters shooting cans.

My 375 RUM has a KDF on it and it still is unbearable with full throttle loads and blows out your ears to boot!
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 03-08-2019 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan in Vermont View Post
    I you had a break in your muzzle you should have it cut back and re-crowned.
    The barrel is a Wilson Combat. I got their thread protector and it is every bit as accurate as it was with the MB. But, I think in general, yes.
    WWG1WGA

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123