Inline FabricationRepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Load Data

Thread: 357 round nose for a lever action

357 round nose for a lever action

ii have some 158 gr round nose hi tech coated bollits at cowboy vel would they b safe in a rossi 357 mag lever ?

Boolit Master

I would not use them in my Rossi.

Boolit Grand Master
    Why not?
    Don Verna

Boolit Bub
    They would be sent down the pipe if they were mine. I have no troubles with PC, don’t see why hi tec would be any different. If accuracy goes south see if the bore has lead. As long as they are at least .357 it should shoot.

Mark

I was mainly wondering because they r round nose and not flat point they r sized at 358

Boolit Master

Depends on how sharp the nose is ?

I know of two (personally) blown up lever guns that had detonations in the mag tubes from round nose bullets.

Back in the day (20yrs ago+) When I had time to cast bullets for my 2Kids Cowboy guns, I used 2 4cav 158gr Lyman molds. A #358665CM And a #358311RN. The RN were loaded in brass cases, the FN in nickel cases.

My Kids knew well enough to NEVER LOAD a Round Nose in a Lever Rifle. And they never messed up loading the wrong bullet in the wrong cases.

Of course today you can PC any bullet any color you want/need.

They personally witnessed the results of a mag tube detonation. In those days nobody watched each other at the loading tables.

The closest thing to a RN I've ever loaded in a Lever gun
    has either been the Factory .45Colt RNFP from REM or WIN. Or else the as same profile in the OLD Lyman #454190. I've sent many 1,000's of the old cast design down range in Marlins, Winchesters/Brownings, Ubertis & Rossis.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Moderator Emeritus

The only magazine detonation I ever saw the results of was a 357 lever. It had rn bullets in it and was at my gunsmiths. He suspected a slightly high primer but there were two detonations in the tube. FN bullets are cheaper than fingers.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

I'd be worried first about what the barrel slugs at. Rossi's in the larger calibers generally have large bores. You can always single shot or chamber one and thumb one into the mag and continue each time you cycle the rifle.

Have any one took the RN and use a flat top punch to take some of the RN off and then use them in the Rossi to shoot and load like normal then .What I asking is use the RN with a FN put some on them.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Less than 5 seconds apiece to file a flat on them and they'll still shoot fine. Been there done that with a pocket tool.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by trapper9260 View Post
    Have any one took the RN and use a flat top punch to take some of the RN off and then use them in the Rossi to shoot and load like normal then .What I asking is use the RN with a FN put some on them.
    Yup! Before I switched to push-thru sizers for all my powder-coated boolits, I sized a bunch (1200+?) of Lee 358-150 RNs using a flat top-punch because I didn't have an RN punch that fit the nose profile (and was too lazy that day to customize a punch with Accra-Glas or JB Weld). Sizing left a small (1/16") metplat on every boolit. BTW, these were loaded fairly hot for practice with my CCW but did try a few through my Rossi 92...functioned just fine but less than acceptable accuracy at 50 yards.

Bill
    Last edited by Kraschenbirn; 02-19-2019 at 12:12 PM.
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Quote Originally Posted by Kraschenbirn View Post
    Yup! Before I got switched to push-thru sizers for all my powder-coated boolits, I sized a bunch (1200+?) of Lee 358-150 RNs using a flat top-punch because I didn't have an RN punch that fit the nose profile (and was too lazy that day to customize a punch with Accra-Glas or JB Weld). Sizing left a small (1/16") metplat on every boolit. BTW, these were loaded fairly hot for practice with my CCW but did try a few through my Rossi 92...functioned just fine but less than acceptable accuracy at 50 yards.

Bill
    Ok thank you and I was wonder also about the accuracy also.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I will put nothing but flat nose in my lever gun its better safe than sorry. A exploding gun is not a fun afternoon.

Boolit Master
    You could make up a jig to drill a large shallow hollow point in them, but its a lot of work if you only have a few. Stick with flat point even though I know of one guy who has used Lee 125gr conicals with no ill effect, I actually purchased the rifle from him and pulled some 700 rounds loaded with the lee 125gr. Regards Stephen

Boolit Master
    I shoot round nose in my levers all the time. BUT-- I hand prime all cases and then check every single one with my fingers to be sure the primers are slightly recessed into the cases. The time spent checking primers is very little considering the benefit.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Mold
    I'd say if you're using round nose in 357, do not use federal primers. They ALWAYS go bang (even if you just look at them wrong). But in this case,..go with something a little harder to ignite,..like CCI or something. I do know that with 30-30, round nose has been fairly standard in factory ammo for a very long time. There is also quite a bit of flat nose factory for 30-30 as well, but I would suspect if it were REALLY that much of an issue, that the round nose would have been long since retired. In my 37 lever,. I'm always shooting 358 semi wadcutters. But I have kept my eye out for a round nose 160 grain mold just for my levergun. Now you have me re-thinking everything.
    I have one more bit of info. The gun guy at the cabelas near here told me (this was when leverevolution was fairly new to the market) that his friend had one of those go off in the tube. It was very hard for me to believe a gummy tip would set the next round off....ever. So I guess anything can happen.

Boolit Master

I tied to duplicate the problem some years back. I put primed .38 spl. cases in a vise. Holding a H&G #39 RN cast out of ACWW in a pair of duckbill pliers nose down on the primer. I hit the back of the bullet with a ball peen hammer using numerous bullets and numerous primed cases. I was never able to fire a primer! Not saying it can't happen but I don't worry about it in my Rossi 92.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master
    How does it go ?
    If you do a thing over and over and over and nothing happens it only takes once for something to go wrong to kill you or someone close by.

Boolit Master

How does it go ?
    If you do a thing over and over and over and nothing happens it only takes once for something to go wrong to kill you or someone close by.
    If I thought like that I would never get in my car and drive to the store to get a quart of milk. More chance of me dying in that scenario than loading round nosed bullets in my Rossi 92. Like I said I personally don't worry about it.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle