Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: trying out NOE 247 HP mold

Boolit Mold

trying out NOE 247 HP mold

Hey everyone,
    just loaded up some 235 grain .310 NOE bullets in .30-06 using 15.0 grains Trail Boss. MV is estimated to be 1200 fps
    I am super exited about it. Cant wait to shoot them! I am going to shoot them at a gel block and see if they expand.

Banned

cool! can't wait to see results.

Boolit Master

Thy should expand nicely. What twist is your barrel. I have shot them 1050 out if a 300 whisper. They seem to do well. Nice expansion in soft soil. Water is pretty hard on hollowpoints. The gel might be more forgiving. I'd expect to get great expansion and possibly blow some of the nose off. Of course, I've been wrong before. What is your alloy?

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by BK7saum View Post
    Thy should expand nicely. What twist is your barrel. I have shot them 1050 out if a 300 whisper. They seem to do well. Nice expansion in soft soil. Water is pretty hard on hollowpoints. The gel might be more forgiving. I'd expect to get great expansion and possibly blow some of the nose off. Of course, I've been wrong before. What is your alloy?
    Once I have an upper they will be going into a 300 blk. The alloy is the RMR bulk lead they use for cores, this stuff I have seems to be pretty soft. It dents easily even from being dropped a few inches above concrete. RMR said it was 12 BHN but I do not have the stuff to test it, so I will have to take them at their word. I think it should work well. This is my first hollow point mold so I am just happy that I can get them off the pins. They are powder coated so we will see if that has any effect. I will be happy to keep you guys posted.

Boolit Mold
    Well everyone, I tested out a few of the 235 grain bullets. Out of a 30.06 the bullets went about 1200 fps. As BK7saum said, I did lose some of the nose of the projectile. The projectile acted like a RIP round and shredded itself. The core, however, went all the way through 16 inches of gel without a problem. So I am going to try again using a 300 BLK with an estimated fps of 1050 to see if that helps to keep the projectile together. The twist rate for the 30.06 is 1 in 10. The twist rate for the 300 BLK is 1 in 8.
    I am on a quest for knowledge, any help is appreciated!