Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: 44mag lee c429-240 swc

44mag lee c429-240 swc

I was wondering if any one out there has any published load data for this Boolit. I was chronographing my loads yesterday, and was below max published data for a boolit of this weight. But had one case on my first five through the chrono that was so sticky that I had to take the cylinder out of the gun, and drift the case out with a brass rod (did not take to much force but more than I could confidently do with the extractor plunger[firearm was a Ruger super Blackhawk]) funny thing was that it was the first shot, and it was 114fps slower than the rest. I have located said case, and there appears to be nothing wrong with it, as well as my calliper reads its the same size as othe cases of the same head stamp, in the same string. The primer also did not appear to be flattened any more, or even as much as any other cases in this string. any theory’s. I’ll attach some pictures. My pen is pointing at the sticky case
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	236299
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	236298
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master

You are sure the case didn't split?

The suspect case and all the other cases ar in good shape no cracks bulges or any other defects and all the cases in the batch when measured at the base and neck were with in 0.002 of each other and had one other case that was 0.001 larger than this one at the base and all other cases ejected with little effort

Unseen debris in the cylinder or on the case prior to firing?

There was a little crud on the case coming out but no more than any others in the string of 15 took 13 to get ten to registered I did not have my defusers witch only left me two for accuracy testing the first of the accuracy test I flinched big but the second just about tore the X out of the target

Boolit Grand Master

Just one out of six? I'd note which cylinder the stickyness happened. With the number of "good" reports about the gun, brass, load, etc., I think I would clean the gun and try again (scrub the cylinders).
    My Anchor is holding fast!

As far as load data for that slug,,, It was my first Cast Boolit and I originally ran them with a Gas Check with 23 gr of H110 but toned that down to 22 gr of H110 for Magnum loads later as I didn't need the extra power in my Rifle.

Same boolit with 8.0 gr of W231 for mid range loads.

These loads also work perfectly with 429421 or 429244 or Clones or any other 240-260 gr cast boolit.

I have never had a case stick. Do you clean your cases between loadings? If not, you need to. Also clean your chambers.

Lyman originally published 240 gr loads with 25 gr of H110 which is a bit much IMHO. But even they extracted easily from my M29 Smith. That gun knocked the snot out of my hands even at 30 years old so eventually discretion prevailed and I reduced the charge. I fired thousands of them at anything available to shoot at. I could get consistent 1.5" groups at 25 yards.

I then acquired a Ruger SBH Bisley which is the easiest shooting .44 I have ever shot. The grip transfers recoil to the Heel of your hand instead of the Web like the Smiths do. Much easier on the hands

Also look at the finish of your chambers. Sometimes SBH's have pretty rough chambers and need to be smoothed out and that will definitely cause sticky extraction.

Hope this helps.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com