WidenersLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: Fell in love all over again. XDm-10 is a lot of fun.

Fell in love all over again. XDm-10 is a lot of fun.

Finally got to take mine to the range today. 300 rounds later, I am convinced that it will take at least 300 more to really get used to it. Longer cartridge than the 40 I have been carrying for a decade, so my hand fits on it differently. Only real grip gripe is the bottom of the slot for the grip safety is not rounded. So my hand is a little sore from that. More recoil than the 40, but not unmanageable. Being my first 10mm, I actually thought it would kick harder. Then I started with full 10mm loads, and yes, it did kick harder, but still not bad, though I knew I was shooting something now. A bit more practice and I feel my follow up shots will be almost as fast as my 40. All in all, I am very pleased with it, and am glad that they FINALLY came out with one. Now I just have to wait on my 220 grain MP mold to come in, and I can really start having fun.

Boolit Grand Master
    10mm is a caliber I am very familiar with from many years of ownership and usage. My experience includes two 3rd generation S&W autopistols (models 1006 and 1026) and now two Glock 3rd generation variants (20SF and 29SF).

Most factory ammo in 10mm runs a 180 grain bullet in the 1125-1150 FPS ballpark from the G-20/4.6" barrel. Federal has one load that isn't much more than a 40 S&W--180 grain bullet at 1030 FPS, sometimes known as the "10mm FBI Lite". Winchester's Silvertip load in 10mm runs a 175 grain STHP at 1235-1250 FPS in the Glock 20, 1175-1200 FPS in the Glock 29, and they ran in the 1275-1290 FPS ballpark from the S&W 5" barrels. This is my carry ammo in both Glocks. Last but not least is the old Norma-level loads that run 200 grain bullets at 1200 FPS from 5" barrels, the Bren Ten standard. These were the loads that cracked Colt frames on 1911A1-series pistols in 10mm. I don't run these in my Glocks, but ran a lot of reloaded Norma-load duplicators through my S&Ws without noticeable wear or other issues. Those Smith 10s were TANKS, and were very cast-bullet-friendly.

I have never tried a bullet heavier than 200 grains in any 10mm. The G-29 with Silvertips or their duplicators is sufficient entertainment for me, thank you very much.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.