Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLee Precision
RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Wad punch tool...pretty cool

USMC 77, USRA 79

I was thinking, Go down one side, then cut the side off, leaving another edge, kinda like I do when cutting gas checks. I just make the punches close together.
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Been thinking about ordering but cost is around $100 CDN.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

But you can make wads for the rest of your life!

Mine should be here soon. Expedited shipping from Canada is not all that, and mine shipped last Wednesday. Supposed to have been 3 days for $22 CDN

Total in USD was $83.

Luckily I am working on refinishing the gun right now so it is not all that bad that it isn't here yet.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Here where I live,very few people load for shotguns. So even the wads are imported.

When you add $10 shipping to this it makes 52 euros, almost 60 USD for 250 felt wads. I fired about 150 slugs last week for testing purposes only... and tungsten loads need filler wads everywhere... so money-wise this punch thing is a no-brainer for me. When one felt wad costs the same as powder...

Attachment 236759

Boolit Grand Master

Randy:

With your machining skills can I ask why you didn't make one yourself?

I'm kinda thinking of that. I like the tool but for my use I'd like the punch to include a center "needle" to make a dead center hole for screws. That mod could likely be done for the tool you are buying too though without an "anvil" the needle might not penetrate.

Having shot my Brenneke'ized Lee slugs today and having poor 50 meter groups I am thinking the slightly irregular edges from using a gasket punch may be contributing to uneven air flow/drag. A better wad punch certainly wouldn't hurt.

Longbow
    Last edited by longbow; 02-24-2019 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Spelling

I couldn't make one this nice for the $83 it cost me. If the needle was sharp it would go thru before the wad was punched out and wouldn't really need an Anvil as the material would be stiff enough to resist deflection.

I thought about making one, but I have a firm rule not to reinvent the wheel.

Besides I am knee deep in work right now which actually pays.

Mine should be here soon.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    I just spent half an hour,trying to order.

No matter what I do, can not choose any country on that page. No address,no order. Couldn't check shipping charges either for the same reason.

Boolit Grand Master

Hmmmm.... I was just punching wads with my very manual gasket punch and am now rethinking these very mice wad punches.

My next go at Brenneke'ized slugs is felt wads screwed onto bore diameter slugs to eliminate the wad issue. My TC slugs cast at 0.729"/0.730" so are perfect for the Slugster. They are a bit small in my fat bored single shot. As an HB slug they shot not bad but nothing to write home about but that was from a 0.733" bore so they are a bit of a rattle fit.

One of these wad punches would make it so much easier to punch out a whack of wads even if I had to center punch through for screw later.

They're pricey but nice! And when I say pricey I don't mean to say over priced... I am just cheap! I am sure they are good value for the money.

Longbow

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123