Reloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad Data
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Wad punch tool...pretty cool

Boolit Master
    Seems to me the “full size” 12 gauge oughtta be just about large enough for inside my 10 gauge hulls and it also seems to me the full size 20 gauge should be close enough for inside 16 gauge hulls .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

I see some future venders coming soon.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

USMC 77, USRA 79

Felt is what I was thinking.. better then cork for lots of stuff.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	29-F8-FC1-A-F2-E5-4-FE9-BDC1-0-FB84042262-F.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	236326
    I also like to punch stuff out of these semi firm foam disks.

Name:	DE45-E040-4-F39-4839-8-F56-775-FC57-B8-D70.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	236327

But a die set like that gives ya lots of options.. all kinds of choices.. just need to decide which die to get first.. the full bore set would be my first choice.. ought to fit real nice into stuff like all brass shotshells.. all kinds of cool stuff. I really want one...

Marko
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Grand Master

If you want commercial wad diameters:

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/pdfs/...g/page_406.pdf
    https://www.trackofthewolf.com/list/item.aspx/170/5
    https://pipesf16.wordpress.com/makin...vershot-discs/

For full bore 12 ga. I've just used a 3/4" gasket punch. Haven't checked actual diameter but theoretically they are 0.010" over commercial card wad size. However, the work so I'm not too concerned.

I just made a punch at 0.672" (nominal 16 ga. wad size)for the Brenneke'ized Lee slugs. It is just like a typical gasket punch. Works fine for me.

Longbow

USMC 77, USRA 79

LB, that is what I use now.. the steel punch’s from Harbor freight.. but boy that gets old.. I love the idea of having positive pressure like on a press.. so much more control I would think.

Boolit Grand Master

No argument there but I'd need 2 ~ one for full bore 12 ga. and one for wad slugs (16 ga.). I'm afraid that $200.00 US for wad punches is off my to do list until I see some steady work again and even at that I have a rifled barrel to buy for my Mossberg Slugster and a few other odds and ends like washer and dryer need replacing, new to me truck (not new you understand), replacement trailer for our old beat up 1978 18 1/2' trailer and there's more! So wad punches, while those are really nice, are not on the menu for a bit unfortunately. Now, I might look at making something like that. More likely I'd go with a punch mounted in a drill press as next best thing. We'll see. I made a gas check maker that is pretty similar design but obviously punches smaller disks. I have the slitting saws and can do simple milling on my lathe. Hmmmm... yet another project I can start and not finish for several years!

Hey, if memory serves you bought one of those ACE 740 gr. slug moulds didn't you? If so how did it shoot for you? I always like to hear about other people's slug shooting and different types of slugs.

Longbow

USMC 77, USRA 79

Yup... I got one.. at the time I still lived in serious Brown Bear country and was guiding salmon fisherman along spawning streams and rivers on the copper river delta. Yikes, I tell ya.. huge bears need big lead I figure. They are just spooky up close... that is where I took this pic...

Name:	IMG-3047.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	236333
    What you don’t see in that pic just to the right off frame is the bears G-friend. She was relaxing after a long roll in the hay with that pumped up Giant.. that was the only reason I took that pic. They were pretty preoccupied.. he point being, no matter what you are carrying for bear protection can seem dang small depending on what your looking at. That slug is around 2oz. No matter what there is a recoil. I had visions of that being a great slug for the huge bears. Truth be known though, big giant slugs like that just slow things down in my opinion. You pull the trigger on 2oz packed with around 33gr os blue dot, it takes a bit longer to get things lined up again. While the size of the slug is awesome, not many shots on a large brownbear frontal assault are instant kills. Especially when you are rattled by the sheer size, claws, teeth, and hideous roaring of a mature brownie... enough to just plain rattle some folks. Not all shots are on perfect on target, so I thing you need to be ready to shoot until you are out of ammo or the bear stops moving. A famous bear guide I know always told me that when guiding for mature brownies, once the client takes the first shot, he shoots until the bear is down and stopped moving.. recovery is imperative. That big *** slug takes a moment longer to recover from.. at least for me. Rather shoot something I can continuously shoot on target.

I have sense moved to this island a few years ago, no brownies on Prince of Wales island.. big record blacks, but no brownies.. yes blackie kills too, but brownies just seem to know they can eat anything in the woods, but blackies are different in my experience. Blackies know they have to fight ya to kill ya.. there is no contest for a brownie, and most know it.

Name:	IMG-0833.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	236335

Name:	IMG-3767.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	236334
    So I cast a bunch of them slugs.. played with them in brass shells with blue dot, herco, BP, and even tried that paradox load of unique.. in the end, it wasn’t what I needed, ate up a lot of lead per shot, and a lot of powder in a place where that stuff is pretty dear to me... I dontt shoot it. I have some loaded, and some extras, but when I saw that one sell a week ago and get bought by Leon, I thought about selling mine too.. maybe trading it for something in 303... we shall see.

Marko

Dats a Bigass Bear! Sounds like and Auto Loader with about 8 Brenneke's might be in order.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 02-19-2019 at 04:52 AM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Sounds like one needs a nice 50 Alaskan on a AR platform.

Boolit Master
    Now that's a one huge bear. Ours don't get that big. Considering how fast they are,if you need a third shot you're too late.

I found some felt rolls, 20cmx10 m,4mm thick for 13 euros. That makes at least 5000 wads.

Attachment 236348

USMC 77, USRA 79

I like those hard backed felt sheets... they are a bit spendier but it’s what I like...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
    I like those hard backed felt sheets... they are a bit spendier but it’s what I like...
    Haven't found any like that,googling around here where I live.

But I like the whole DIY- idea a lot,it just feels good being self-contained. And I have friends who could use these,too. These look quality tools.

I got one of the punches coming, we'll see how it works out. It looks nicely made and if I can use it in my Hand Press so much the better.

I got the smaller 12 ga one (not full bore) It cuts at .650 which is perfect for building wad columns so I can make wads that fit inside the shot cups and use as over shot cards.

I got sick of buying the wrong card wads.. I can make my own as needed and try different materials without buying bags of the wrong ones.

I really want to be able to cut up all the Coke Bottle Caps my wife saves to enter their stupid contest with Zero Odds of winning. She's literally got bags of them and they would look good on LB's Lee slugs as they are a pretty Red color.

Should be here soon as they use 3 day shipping.

Randy

Marko: The thing to do with your big slug mould is cast up about 50 of them and then sell it. Chances are you'd never shoot up 50 of them but you'd have the slugs to load as you saw fit and could sell the mould to buy something you can use more.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

USMC 77, USRA 79

I offered to trade it to Longbow for a certain 303 mold he has... haven’t heard from him yet though... I did cast a bunch and loaded a bunch of those slugs... it just sits there looking at me..

Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
    it just sits there looking at me..
    I have a Cat that does that. Randy

Boolit Grand Master

I didn't get in on that group buy because I didn't think that slug was a good candidate for smoothbore. Also, I think the meplat is too much of a good thing much like the Lyman sabot slug. My opinion only.

What .303 mould do I have that you want? I don't recall discussing that trade but I have an old shriveled brain these days. No matter, none are for sale! I love my moulds! Even the cantankerous Lyman Foster mould and my Lyman 429421 that casts undersize (in WW anyway). The only mould I have parted with in about 40 years is my Lyman Maxi Ball mould and I gave that to a friend in North Carolina because he had a gun with 1:48" twist where mine is 1:66" so too slow for the 370 gr. boolit.

My favourite shotgun slug design is still the Dixie Tusker:

Name:	Tusker large.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	236410

At 600 grs. it is a substantial slug but not so heavy as to be too hard on lead or the shoulder unless pushed hard. I recently sent the drawing to Tom at Accurate molds and he has added it to his catalogue:

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...73-740TN-D.png

I was hoping he would state it was the Dixie design... almost anyway, he can't make the large groove so modified it to suit his tooling and he doesn't do HB pins. I figured it was keeping a bit of James around. I really like the slug and even though accuracy wasn't very good from my smoothbore (it is for rifled gun) they did fly nose on to 75 yards punching nice round holes. They were sized to 0.725" though and being shot from my 0.733" smoothbore so sloppy fit. Should be an excellent slug in rifled gun.

As for stopping power, Greg Sappington went to an extreme and had a mould made for 1000 gr. slug that he launched at 1100 FPS IIRC. He said at moderate velocity recoil wasn't bad but penetration was spectacular. Not sure at what velocity but he said it was tested at the Linebaugh seminar and it out penetrated everything there including big bore heavy duty rifles.

Here is a response on the testing from Todd Corder: https://www.shootersforum.com/shotgu...s-tested.html:

https://www.shootersforum.com/shotgu...gs-tested.html

Also, another link to Shotgunworld with Greg's load data for your reference should you want to load heavy lead!

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/vie...32539&start=15

But I digress (and ramble) yet again. Sorry! However, on topic is the fact that the recipe has card and cork wads that you could punch with one of these nice tools! Also on topic is that the Tusker requires built up wad columns that can be punched using one of these nice tools!

Longbow

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Now thats a pretty slick punch. Sure beats the heck out of hammering them out one at a time.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    I didn't get in on that group buy because I didn't think that slug was a good candidate for smoothbore. Also, I think the meplat is too much of a good thing much like the Lyman sabot slug. My opinion only.

What .303 mould do I have that you want? I don't recall discussing that trade but I have an old shriveled brain these days. No matter, none are for sale! I love my moulds! Even the cantankerous Lyman Foster mould and my Lyman 429421 that casts undersize (in WW anyway). The only mould I have parted with in about 40 years is my Lyman Maxi Ball mould and I gave that to a friend in North Carolina because he had a gun with 1:48" twist where mine is 1:66" so too slow for the 370 gr. boolit.

My favourite shotgun slug design is still the Dixie Tusker:

Name:	Tusker large.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	236410

At 600 grs. it is a substantial slug but not so heavy as to be too hard on lead or the shoulder unless pushed hard. I recently sent the drawing to Tom at Accurate molds and he has added it to his catalogue:

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...73-740TN-D.png

I was hoping he would state it was the Dixie design... almost anyway, he can't make the large groove so modified it to suit his tooling and he doesn't do HB pins. I figured it was keeping a bit of James around. I really like the slug and even though accuracy wasn't very good from my smoothbore (it is for rifled gun) they did fly nose on to 75 yards punching nice round holes. They were sized to 0.725" though and being shot from my 0.733" smoothbore so sloppy fit. Should be an excellent slug in rifled gun.

As for stopping power, Greg Sappington went to an extreme and had a mould made for 1000 gr. slug that he launched at 1100 FPS IIRC. He said at moderate velocity recoil wasn't bad but penetration was spectacular. Not sure at what velocity but he said it was tested at the Linebaugh seminar and it out penetrated everything there including big bore heavy duty rifles.

Here is a response on the testing from Todd Corder: https://www.shootersforum.com/shotgu...s-tested.html:

https://www.shootersforum.com/shotgu...gs-tested.html

Also, another link to Shotgunworld with Greg's load data for your reference should you want to load heavy lead!

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/vie...32539&start=15

But I digress (and ramble) yet again. Sorry! However, on topic is the fact that the recipe has card and cork wads that you could punch with one of these nice tools! Also on topic is that the Tusker requires built up wad columns that can be punched using one of these nice tools!

Longbow
    Your links will not work.

USMC 77, USRA 79

Sure they do???? I didn’t have any trouble with the links... I did read where the recoil was enough to split the skin over his collarbone??? Yikes...

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Downside of the press cutter ... your material has to cut in strips. Otherwise it just punches the edge of the material. IMO, a dead blow hammer and hand punch works equally as well
    Regards
    John

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast