RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loads needed for #358429 boolit.

Loads needed for #358429 boolit.

I am about to do a little experimenting with my S&W's. Model numbers, 19, 28 & 586.

Bullet: Lyman #358429
    Weight: 171.0 gr. average.
    Alloy: 50/50 WW/Lino.

Planning on using 2400 with CCI small pistol primers.

I don't want to push the limit using the newer 2400.

I know about the seating depth issues for the different S&W models.

Any suggestions on 'MAX' loads before I get started?

Thanks,

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Buddy
    Murphy,

I am away from my revolvers, reloading gear and cast boolits...tis a struggle! I do have a bunch of 358429s awaiting my return and I was hoping you could tell me if any of your three .357s will handle that boolit seated and crimped in the crimp groove provided. I've heard that the M19 will, but don't know about the L and N frame guns.

Let me know on that if and when you can, please.

Wayne

Wayne,

Number one, thanks for serving Sir.

As to the chambering issue and Keiths #358429 boolit, I'm not sure about the L Frame. I DO know that you can crimp in the crimping groove for the Model 19. Not so for a Model 27 or Model 28.

Lyman recommends the O.A.L. for this bullet at 1.647. Seating it at this length, the front driving band will appear to be just below the case neck. Then use a good roll crimp to finish the load up.

I'll get back with you on my results from the tests. Hopefully sometime this weekend.

Thanks,

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Grand Master
    Murphy--

I only recently started with the #358429, and haven't loaded any into 357 Magnum cases--just 38 Specials so far, and they shoot SUPERBLY from that caliber.

Reportedly, there are several "versions" or ideations of the #358429. Mine is one of the lighter editions, weighing 163 grains and having what appears to be a little bit shorter base band than what most photos of the boolit show. I haven't yet measured things, but I'm guessing at this point that my BisHawk x 357 could easily chamber this boolit seated in 357 cases with front band exposed and roll crimped into the groove. Dunno about the 686--gotta grab the tools and do some measuring. In the 38 Special, these boolits fit inside the Colt OMT seated with front band exposed and crimped into that same groove. The noses run close to the cylinder's forward face, but clear it with a little room to spare.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master

Murphy;
    Hope you will pardon me "butting in" but I noticed your alloy of 50/50 ww/lino. I have used very successfully 5/1 WW/Lino in the .44 magnum and full loads. Have done the same with the .357, also. Lino is hard to come by and I try to minimize its use to get it to last as long as possible. I have even used as little as 8/1 WW/Linotype.

Just a thought.

Dale53

From my notes on the 358429:

Mold: Lyman 4 cavity 358429
    Pistol: K38 (.38 Special)
    Cases: Mixed .38 Special
    Size: .357 (Star Sizer)
    Lube: Alox/Beeswax 50.50
    Powder Charge: 4.0 grains Winchester 231
    Range to Target: 10 yards
    Mean group average .75"

Notes: Nice mild load for plinking with .357 guns. Very accurate with M27-2 5" barrel. Sized .357 on Star Sizer. Wheelweight Mix.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

http://www.hensleygibbs.com

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Boolit Master

I shoot this bullet alot, mine weighs 173 grs with w.w. and i sixe them .,358 shooting in a blackhawk and theres plenty of room. Shoot these around 1300 f.p.s. and use 296 powder about a grain less then i use with the 358156. Ruger has plenty of room crimped in the crimp groove.

I use 12.0 gr of the newer 2400 in my smiths with the 358429 loaded in 38 special cases. These should only be fired in .357 magnum guns. I also use the same alloy as you do Murphy 50/50 WW/Lino. This is a powerful and accurate load. In my Blackhawks I go as high as 15/2400 in Magnum cases with the same bullet. Both loads us Winchester Primers.
    Big Bullets at moderate speeds...Makes things move

Boolit Buddy
    ive been shooting that bullet quite a bit in my BH. im up to 13 grs of 2400 with CCI SP. my bullets are cast from an old ideal mould with a round lube groove. they drop 172 +/- grs with straight WWs. i seat and crimp in the groove.they chamber easily in my BH.

The Lyman 358429 will work fine in the S&W 586/686 when seated to the crimp groove in 357 cases..........Creeker

Right on boogered .Been using that load since 1964 .Nonting better in three diferent ,blackhawks
    a GP100 two Smiths and two Taurus 66-----John
    Last edited by Papa smurf; 03-06-2006 at 08:27 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Greetings, Gentlemen,

Used this boolit for ever it seems. Cast from w/w & 15 to 20% tin based babbit. Have always used 15 gr. 2400. It launches at 1497 fps average from my wifes 6" Ruger Security Six. Works so well, we never found it neccessary to try anything else.
    Regards, Ralph.
    Boy, I love these old guns.....

Boolit Master
    I've shot the 358429 for over 30 years out of my Python and recenctly acquired Taurus. I used to shoot 13.5 gr 2400 but have cut it back to 12.5 with the new 2400. I've never shot a boolit in 357 that is more accurate. In both my 357's I have to crimp over the front driving band. I think seating this deep effects the pressure generated. To me it seems to be like loading a shorter case. Almost like a 38 Special. The load is similar to what bear4570 mentioned when using the 358429 in 38 Special cases crimped in the crimping groove. After all .... the 38 Special is the cartridge that Elmer Keith designed this boolit for. I'm gonna have to load some in 38 Special cases crimped in the crimping groove and measure the OAL. I'm willing to bet before I do it that the OAL between 357 and 38 Special are very very close.
    Nighthunter

Boolit Bub
    Greetings,again, Gentlemen,

My snubby is a 1989 Ruger SP-101 in .38 Special caliber with a 3" barrel. The trigger pull is as smooth as roller bearings. Added a red insert in front sight. The Butler Creek boot grips soak up the recoil and lets the shooter maintain control. Used it as a bowling pin gun in the early 1990's.

I guess the self defense cartridge I carry in it would be classed as +P+. Lyman 358429 Keith 170 gr. cast boolit. W/W &15% high speed babbitt.
    Chronographs at 1270 fps from 3" barrel. Is accurate and devistating. Very minimal leading. I think it will hold it's own with the .357's.

Don't try this at home, for Ruger SP-101 only.
    Regards, Ralph.
    Boy, I love these old guns.....

Boolit Buddy
    Been shooting that bullet cast from water quenched WW for years over 13.0 grs of 2400 in .38 special brass, sparked by standard pistol primer for 1260 fps from 6" barrel. No pressure signs present. Crimped in crimp groove. Elmers standard load was 13.5 grs of the old 2400 in .38 special case/standard pistol primer. Only shoot in .357 mag designated guns.

Yes I know this post is a lil outdated, but, what's 6-7 years among friends LOL.
    In a 357 case I use 14.0gr "new" 2400 under a 358429 (WDWW, 173gr, tumble lubed) lit by a small RIFLE primer, it's a thumper!

In a 38spl case I drop to 13/13.5gr (depending on gun) and use a small pistol primer, still a thumper and only for use in 357's, 38-44's.
    Last edited by maglvr; 10-18-2012 at 03:53 AM.
    The .357 Magnum......
    Major Douglas Wesson, using factory loads, which were a 158 gr. soft lead bullet, traveling 1515 fps, from an 8 3/4" barreled S&W, producing 812 ft. lbs of muzzle energy.
    Antelope - 200 yards (2 shots)
    Elk - 130 yards (1 shot)
    Moose - 100 yards (1 shot)
    Grizzly Bear - 135 yards (1 shot).

It kind of makes one wonder, why today, it will bounce off anything bigger than a rabbit

Boolit Master
    Holy Thread Resuscitation, Batman!

I just got done trying a 358477 over 14g of 2400, my K-frame didn't like it much. Don't want to think what it would think of 14g over a 170g boolit...
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Master
    Murph -

Howdy !

( IMHO )... even better than 2400, I whole-heartedly recommend you try:
    14.5gr WW296 ( H110 same stuff ) and SP Mag primer. I used CCI.

This has been my go-to load for .357Mag for 35+yr. 4, 5, and 6" "N"-frames all-the-way !

With regards,
    357Mag

Boolit Master
    Mag, I've always been a little leary of trying H110... Heard it likes to erode throats. So I stick to other powders. Have a pretty decent load that I worked up with the keith, but I believe it is with 4227. Would have to check to be sure.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Master

I have always had very good results with 13.5-14/2400 in my .357's. As far as "new" 2400 I have had access to some old unopened cans of Hercules 2400 from the 60's-70's era and they are no more different than lot to lot variations of today's 2400 over my chrono. Larry Gibson did similar testing a while back both pressure and chrono with the same results. That said, 296/H110 have always been slightly better performers in all my .357's than 2400. For top velocity with excellent accuracy using 358429, 296 gets the call in the 15 gr. range.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast