RepackboxLoad DataReloading EverythingWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pistol sighting depending on bullet weight

Boolit Master

Pistol sighting depending on bullet weight

I am tuning up 9mm Luger loads for a Chinese made semi-auto pistol using LEE 125 grain cast bullets. When I use the sights like my wheelguns shooting proper weight bullets, the semi-auto in 9mm always hits real low. What weight cast bullets do I need to shoot to raise the strike zone to shoot to the sights? Winchester factory loads using jacketed 115 grain bullets also shoot at the same low location.

Boolit Master
    A heavier bullet will shoot higher for you. As a last resort if you find a load that you like, even if it's shooting low you can file the front sight down which will bring your group up where you want it. Go slow, you only get one try at it so make sure it's the load you want to shoot.

Dick

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by sixshot View Post
    A heavier bullet will shoot higher for you. As a last resort if you find a load that you like, even if it's shooting low you can file the front sight down which will bring your group up where you want it. Go slow, you only get one try at it so make sure it's the load you want to shoot. Dick
    Probably a better option is going to be a higher rear sight.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Probably a better option is going to be a higher rear sight.
    After your suggestion I Googled Norinco Model 213 rear sight and didn't find anything referring to sight height for sale. Mine has a number 4 on the rear sight, which appears to be able to be driven out of its notch to the side, and replaceable. But what to replace it with is the problem. Unless I try to fabricate one for myself? That seems to be such small work I am not sure I could do it. I am used to working on larger equipment on my farm.

Boolit Master
    Another last resort is to build up the rear sight with JB Weld & then gently file it down to the load you want. You wouldn't be the first person to do that & you can always pop it off if you don't like it. Just pain it with a black marker after it dries for a day.

Dick

Boolit Buddy
    You could also try to file down your front post.

Sent fra min SM-G930F via Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Longer barrel dwell time or a sharper recoil pulse are what you are after. You can get there with the afore mentioned heavier bullet, or with a quicker recoiling powder. For instance, bullseye will hit higher (for me anyway) with a given velocity and bullet combo than unique or autocomp. Lots of variables to help reach the same result.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Hits real low is a relative term.

Hits real low at what 50yds???

Hits real low ='s 2"/3"/5"/etc low at xxx yardage might give everyone a better understanding of what you're trying to solve.

Boolit Master
    Hits 12" low at 30 yards. Of course I can just shoot with the sights above the target by that amount, but I am trying to set it up for my wife so that it hits right on using the sights properly like all of my other pistols do.

Odd looking sights on those pistols to begin with. Front sight looks filed down from the factory (old 1/2 moon style). And the rear sight is skinny and tall.

12" @ 30yds is a lot, you're probably looking at +/- .2" off the front sight or +/- .2" add to the rear sight.

Quote Originally Posted by DonMountain View Post
    Hits 12" low at 30 yards. Of course I can just shoot with the sights above the target by that amount, but I am trying to set it up for my wife so that it hits right on using the sights properly like all of my other pistols do.
    Have you had the wife shoot it to see where it hits for here? Different people will often shoot to different points of impact.

Have you considered swapping it off for something "better"? I know norincos are usually decent guns but let's face it, the reason people like them isn't the quality, it's the price. They are made in China with no support or parts. You might get a different one of the same model that shoots to poa.

I don't mean any disrespect or condescension. I've traded a lot in my life and I've found it's often a waste of effort (unless you just enjoy it) to mess with bargain pistols that aren't where you want them to be.

I'd probably file the front sight to get it hitting poa with factory ammo if it were mine.

Boolit Master
    What type of load are you using? Start, Medium Strengh or Max? A slower moving bullet will be in the barrel longer and should hit higher everything else being equal. Backing off the powder charge might work as well as anything else.

First I'd let her shoot it and see where it hits. My local gunsmith will cut a new dovetail on a gun for $25. This might be an option if nothing else works.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Have you considered swapping it off for something "better"? I know norincos are usually decent guns but let's face it, the reason people like them isn't the quality, it's the price. They are made in China with no support or parts. You might get a different one of the same model that shoots to poa.

I don't mean any disrespect or condescension. I've traded a lot in my life and I've found it's often a waste of effort (unless you just enjoy it) to mess with bargain pistols that aren't where you want them to be.
    Recently my wife of only 22 years dragged me in front of a lawyer to divide "our" estate up so everybody will know who gets everything when "we" die. And naturally she wanted some of "my" guns (all of which I owned before we were married) because one of her children loves guns. Of course he has only one or two at a time before he loses them at the pawn shop before he gets enough money together to buy it back. So, in the division of my gun collection, she definitely wanted "her" Winchester Model 94 AE in 356 Winchester that she uses for deer hunting. And she wanted a handgun. So, which handgun would you pick? So, anyway, I am just trying to get it to shoot for her now and get her used to shooting it. I think I paid $100 for it brand new and unfired about 25 or 30 years ago. Maybe I should just buy some Hornady 147 grain jacked bullets and load them heavy to get the sights closer to point of aim and hope her limp wrist style of shooting takes care of the rest.

Or, were you referring to swapping off my wife for something better?

Hmm, that is a situation. Wonder if +P loads would flatten out the trajectory.

Boolit Master
    An old friend of mine had same problem with his Norinco 9mm and fixed a piece of hacksaw blade to sight and filed a groove in that. Regards Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by DonMountain View Post
    Recently my wife of only 22 years dragged me in front of a lawyer to divide "our" estate up so everybody will know who gets everything when "we" die. And naturally she wanted some of "my" guns (all of which I owned before we were married) because one of her children loves guns. Of course he has only one or two at a time before he loses them at the pawn shop before he gets enough money together to buy it back. So, in the division of my gun collection, she definitely wanted "her" Winchester Model 94 AE in 356 Winchester that she uses for deer hunting. And she wanted a handgun. So, which handgun would you pick? So, anyway, I am just trying to get it to shoot for her now and get her used to shooting it. I think I paid $100 for it brand new and unfired about 25 or 30 years ago. Maybe I should just buy some Hornady 147 grain jacked bullets and load them heavy to get the sights closer to point of aim and hope her limp wrist style of shooting takes care of the rest.

Or, were you referring to swapping off my wife for something better?
    Wow, that sucks. After almost 21 years, there is no "yours" and "mine" in my marriage. Everything is "ours". Guess I just got lucky.

Buy a box of cheap 147gr. factory loads and try them.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 35 Whelen View Post
    Wow, that sucks. After almost 21 years, there is no "yours" and "mine" in my marriage. Everything is "ours". Guess I just got lucky.

Buy a box of cheap 147gr. factory loads and try them.

35W
    Bingo! Why didn't I think of doing that? Are 147 grain factory loads readily available? Next time I am in WalMart I will have to take a walk back to the gun section and take a look. That would be easier than purchasing a box of 147 grain Hornady bullets just to try a few out or a new mold. Thanks for this suggestion 35 Whelen.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cohen View Post
    An old friend of mine had same problem with his Norinco 9mm and fixed a piece of hacksaw blade to sight and filed a groove in that. Regards Stephen
    This sounds like a good possibility. A piece of thin stiff sheet metal like a saw blade could be epoxied to the rear of the rear sight to raise the notch to a better height pretty easily. Thanks Stephen.

Boolit Master
    I also thought if using a "stiffer" lubricant on the slide to frame rails that might slow down the recoil enough to raise the front end of the barrel when firing? I am using one of those thin oil lubricants that come in the little plastic bottles in a cleaning kit now. Maybe some 140 weight gear oil would do the job, or some axle grease?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast