MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingWidenersRepackboxInline Fabrication
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: Shooting The .416 Ruger For The First Time

Boolit Grand Master

Shooting The .416 Ruger For The First Time

Well, I gave it a go. I used Hornady 400gr DGS solids and set a 4ft piece of telephone pole up to shoot length wise. The first round went in but didn't exit near as I could tell.

I then turned it sideways and placed a second behind it. The second round went through both and plowed a furrow in the field behind before disappearing.

The recoil was not anywhere near what I was thinking. Felt like a 12g Mag shotgun to me. More of a hard thump instead of a sharp crack like a 300 Win Mag. I think of it as the diffrence between shooting a 44Mag and a 45LC Blackhawk. Nothing I'd want to shoot all day but with the muzzle break and a limbsaver pad very manageable. 2 rounds and my shoulder isn't really sore but I know I've shot a rifle.

Here I am!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RoU...ew?usp=sharing
    Last edited by jonp; 02-17-2019 at 01:38 PM.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

In Remembrance

Excellent form of testing on the Ruger round and solid Hornady. I believe you would be surprised at actually how deep that bullet penatrated. I also did a penatration test with my .416 Taylor and using a Barnes solid 400 gr. bullet on a 25`long `trough` made of 1" pine boards and filled with saturated paper magazines and cardboard with a few phone books added. From 25 yds. from a bench aiming at a orange dot on the front 2" pine board I fired 2 shots. As I started digging thru the paper I was amazed at the `wound channel` of the bullets. I finally found both bullet just before the 19` mark! Perhaps this was not a test run correctly with the test materials, but it sure impressed the daylights out of me! The recoil on my Taylor with the Mag-Na-porting with a Decellerator pad made it also feel about like a 3" 12 bore goose load. I`ve found the most economical `J` bullet for my .416 is the Speer 350 JSP. It is an accurate shooting bullet and should be enough for about any North American critter. As far as a cast slug I lean towards the RCBS 350 gr, I have other molds yet I like the RCBS using my 50/50 + Tin alloy and gas checked.Robert

Boolit Master
    I don't have a big thumper any longer. Sounds like an impressive round. I'm wanting a 416 Rem . Only thing in my way is money.....

Boolit Grand Master

Robert, it started to rain so I stopped testing. I have several pieces of telephone pole I got for deck posts so I can spare one. When it stops raining I'll add 2 more for a total of 4 and see if I can get one to stop. I'd like to see what the 400gr DGS looks like so when I have success in that I'll get out the chainsaw and get it out. I'll post a picture of it but I'm expecting almost full weight retention. I'm sure that in an animal it would not break apart at all.

I ordered some of the RCBS 350gr to try out with different reduced and full power loads. I'm pretty sure this will be the mold I get but another member on here is sending me several types. I doubt I'll shoot this one a bunch but I'd like to get a mold for it and don't really have a need for several of them.

Boolit Grand Master

That looks like fun! The last heavy rifle I remember shooting was a Browning Safari in 458 Winchester. The recoil was like a solid push vs the hard sharp recoil of the smaller caliber magnums.

I recently was able to add a 416 Ruger loaded cartridge to my collection.

Boolit Master
    I've got two .416's.The .416 Rigby is a hard push.The .416 Rem.Mag. has real recoil.Very unpleasant to fire.It tries to detach retina's when fired from a benchrest.The Rem Mag would probably be a bit better with a different stock.Both rifles are built on P14 actions and are quite heavy.I have yet to have someone take me up on an offer to testfire either of the rifles.I did cause a couple of shooters to leave the range I was shooting on because of the .416's.I didn't mind.They thought my 6x45 AR was illegal to own or that it should be.

Boolit Master
    Makes me rethink buying a 416 Rem. I would shoot more lead with trail boss any way. I don't mind recoil but this may be a bit much. Maybe I should step down to a 375h&h

Boolit Grand Master
    You coward....shoot that from the bench!!! LOL
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by KenT7021 View Post
    I did cause a couple of shooters to leave the range I was shooting on because of the .416's.I didn't mind.They thought my 6x45 AR was illegal to own or that it should be.
    Make sure you take the .416's to that range every time you go in case they come back. Then you can run them off again.
    " My people skills are just fine. It's my tolerance for idiots that needs work."

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    You coward....shoot that from the bench!!! LOL
    you first, big guy

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    you first, big guy
    Not a chance. .338 Win Mag is all I can handle. That would strictly be a cast shooter for me.

Seriously, make sure you wear plugs and muffs.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    jonp, that hurts my shoulder, just watching you. Very impressive.

Boolit Master

The way you stand there in the vid, it looks like your trying build up enough nerve.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Robert, it started to rain so I stopped testing. I have several pieces of telephone pole I got for deck posts so I can spare one. When it stops raining I'll add 2 more for a total of 4 and see if I can get one to stop. I'd like to see what the 400gr DGS looks like so when I have success in that I'll get out the chainsaw and get it out. I'll post a picture of it but I'm expecting almost full weight retention. I'm sure that in an animal it would not break apart at all.

I ordered some of the RCBS 350gr to try out with different reduced and full power loads. I'm pretty sure this will be the mold I get but another member on here is sending me several types. I doubt I'll shoot this one a bunch but I'd like to get a mold for it and don't really have a need for several of them.

In all honesty I have loaded and shot about all makes and weights of `J` bullets in .416 caliber. I also favored the Hornady 400 gr. SP and DGS solids for their less cost than Barnes. The Barnes type of bullets is indeed unique to the fact of both penertation and expansion, but as I said `They AIN`T cheap`! I was told by a `Smith about an elephant shot in the head using a Barnes 400 gr. .416 in the .416 Taylor. The hit was near the ear hole on a side ways shot at about 75 yds. The animal went done like lighting hit it. The bullet made a complete side to opposite side penatration, about 4` of bone brain and hide. My Taylor is plenty of gun for me in my advancing years to keep the `rogue Tembo`s` off my property.Robert

Boolit Buddy

Love my .416 Rem and .416 Rigby. Had the .416 Ruger at one time but it kept splitting the laminated stock right behind the tang every time I shot it. Finally decided enough was enough and ended up selling it. Still have a couple boxes of .416 Ruger brass and dies that were never used that will eventually need to find a new home.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by merlin101 View Post
    The way you stand there in the vid, it looks like your trying build up enough nerve.
    That's because it was the second shot.

I shoot a .338 Lapua Magnum from a bench. Okay. Nice brake and the thing weighs 16 pounds.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Master

I sighted in a guys .458 Winchester for him as he was having problems with flinching. I shot from the bench, no muzzle brake. Not a rifle I would want to shoot a lot. It was not really painful but you knew when the trigger broke. I can understand a little hesitation on your shot but at least you stood in there and put it where it belonged. james

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I used to enjoy the biguns but age arthritis and bad shoulders have me preferring a lot milder rounds these days. Well enjoy the thrill