WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad Data
RepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: Remington 722 extractor question

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately

Remington 722 extractor question

I've worked on a LOT of REMINGTONs over the years but this is a new one on me. I was sure I knew how the extractor on the 722 rivetless extractor kept from turning inside the bolt recess. I thought there was supposed to be a couple of "bumps" (for lack of a better description) one on each side of the ejector that positioned the extractor and retained it.

I have in my shop a 722 308 WIN that has the rivetless style extractor and the recess is perfectly round. I can push the extractor anywhere I want, with the ejector removed. I was able to take a cartridge case, hook the rim with the extractor and with the ejector in place rotate the extractor around over the ejector. Obviously, not a good thing.

The owner of the rifle and I have inspected the bolt under magnification and there is no indication of any rivet whatsoever. Besides, I don't think any of the 721-22 series had riveted extractors unless, possibly, it was very late in production. This one still has the split sear trigger so I would say it was one of the earlier 308s.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Quite simply I'm at a loss what to do, short of a new bolt.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

In Remembrance

I fought for quite a few years with the extractor on my 722 in .300 Sav. It was in 3 different `Smith` shops and had new extractors put on when they located them to do so. The problem was when extracting the fired case the extractor would just drop the case on the top of the magazine of shells. I finally saw in a Brownell`s catalog a Sako type system for an extractor. I took the rifle back to a `Smith` at Williams Gun Sight and he ordered the parts and installed them. Now my 722 extracts and tosses the empties like it should. With extractors getting as scarce as chickens teeth perhaps this cure of mine is what you should look at.Robert

The Sako type extractor is a good answer to restore a wonderful rifle to working order IMO. It won't void the warranty anymore!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I will suggest the m16 style extractor over the sako in a Remington, there are documented cases of the sako blowing out in a case head failure injuring the shooter. The m16 is pinned in and will not do that. I suggest sending the bolt to Greg Tannel aka Gre Tan gunsmithing for this work.
    NRA High Master XTC
    DR# 2125