Snyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dillon Reloading Question here.

Banned

Dillon Reloading Question here.

I first of all full length resize my 308 brass on a lyman -T-Mag reloading press. What I wish to do is reload my already sized 308 brass on my Dillon 650 press. I will need a powder funnel "B" PN 13587 and that is a given. What I wish to do is use my 45 acp #1 shell plate along with the 45 ACP bushing locator pins and such. The 308 conversion calls for a different #1 shell plate PN 12903 and the 45ACP's #1 shell plate is PN 13204. The differences between the two conversion kits are the shell plate, powder funnel (that is a given), the cf ARM BUSHING, CF body bushing, and CF adapter. I have physically been able to drop a case thru the 45 ACP CF Arm,Body, and adapter's. The thousand dollar question is has anybody tried this? I don's see why this wouldn't work. Not having see the #1 shell plate for the 308 I would assume it is probably tougher being it is used to full length resize but I don't plan to fl resize on this press. The 308 and 45 ACP do use the same #1 station 1 locator #13595, and locator pins (3) # 13930.

Banned
    I'm not sure I follow you completely but it sounds as if you want to use the shell plate and locator pins for the 45 ACP to load the 308 Win. on a Dillon 650?

The case head dimensions of those two cartridges are similar, so much so that 308 casings can be cut down and used to make ACP shotshells. The big difference is the profile of the extractor groove.

I see no harm in attempting to use a 45 ACP shell plate in your efforts to load 308 Win on a 650. Obviously other parts on the press will need to be specific to the 308 application but I think it might work.

Boolit Master

If I were you I'd try your setup and see if it will work.

Banned
    So, if I can use the 45acp shell plate I save $40+, the case feed adapter $18.65, the case feed arm bushing $11.55 for a total of roughly $70. before shipping. This would have me shelling out only $17.95 plus shipping for the "B" Funnel. I guess I can mock up the parts I have now minus the powder funnel just to see if it case feeds ok.

Banned
    Gentlemen, being retired now I am finding that I need to come up with ways to save some money. I'm going to set up the 45acp shell plate and assorted parts minus the powder funnel and see if it feeds ok. like I mentioned since I'm not fl sizing on the press I think the 45 acp shell plate should work. In addition I will prime roughly 10 and see if there is any problem there.

Banned
    For clarity... the parts that are different are the powder funnel (a given), the Case feed Arm bushing, the Case feed adapter, and the (B) or #1 shell plate. The rest of the 45acp parts are the same part numbers which are the #1 station locator, and the (3) locator pins.

Banned
    Ok, back with the results... One needs the case feed adapter PN 13541 because the case will need to move thru a slot in the adapter thus the solid 45 acp case adapter won't work unless it is milled. I can make it work with less parts but its almost better to purchase the conversion kit and simply have the whole thing. I gues this is one time where trying to save money isn't really going to happen. Now, if someone were to print the adapter well that would be another story. Once the 308 is in the shell plate the press will work fine. I'm thinking the #1 (B) shell plate probably provides a little more support.

Boolit Buddy
    I’ve used the .45 conversion kit to load .270win (which I think uses the same conversion kit as .308) on a 650 the only thing that doesn’t work is the case feeder parts,I just hand loaded the cases into station #1 I never bothered to get the case feeder parts because I only load 50-100 at a time for 270

Boolit Master
    Well at least you wont have to change primer size, I’ve known at least 2 reloader guys that bought an extra 650 press just for that reason. Me personally have never done it. Only load ‘06 on RCBS single stage and 9mm and .223 on progressive.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hossfly View Post
    Well at least you wont have to change primer size, I’ve known at least 2 reloader guys that bought an extra 650 press just for that reason. Me personally have never done it. Only load ‘06 on RCBS single stage and 9mm and .223 on progressive.
    I've had my 650 for a few years now. I have only reloaded pistol ammunition 380,9mm, 40 cal, 10mm, 44mag, 45acp, and 45 long colt on it. I've always thought along the lines of purchasing another 650 just so that I didnt have the change the primer system from small to large and vice versa. Now I'm thinking about a second press just for rifle. One the other hand being retired I have some time to reload so I don't know what I will do but its always in the back of my mind. Nothing wrong with wanting another dillon.

Moderator Emeritus
    There are a lot of Dillon conversion charts available, including in the back of the Dillon manual.

The 45 and 308/30-06 has a lot of parts that are interchangeable. Here’s some software that might help also: http://www.nfatoys.com/dillon/

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by garandsrus View Post
    There are a lot of Dillon conversion charts available, including in the back of the Dillon manual.

The 45 and 308/30-06 has a lot of parts that are interchangeable. Here’s some software that might help also: http://www.nfatoys.com/dillon/
    I appreciate your help but I have already printed the complete PN's and parts lists for all the conversion kits I already own. My thought is this... in the quest for more profit companies sometime make new part numbers for the same part in the hope of having customers purchase individual parts that may not be necessary. Since I have never loaded any rifle calibers on my 650 I found it necessary to question the shell holder mainly as I don't think a $40 part is necessary when my 45acp shell holder seems to work fine. There are others like myself that might find it useful to print out the Part number of the individual parts in their conversion kits to see if a whole new kit would absolutely be needed for a different caliber. In my case I wish to load 22-250 and .308 and I find myself needing (5) parts to be able to load two additional calibers when I check the other conversion kits I have already on my shelf. In my case to be able to add the 22-250 and 308 to the calibers I already have will cost me an additional $100 including shipping. At the current price of I think around $82 a conversion I will save some money. I've already made myself a list of the parts I will need for other conversions in order to make the conversions for 22-250 and 308.

I don’t remember if you have a 3D printer or not but there are free down loads for the case feed adapters out there.

Banned

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    I appreciate your help but I have already printed the complete PN's and parts lists for all the conversion kits I already own. My thought is this... in the quest for more profit companies sometime make new part numbers for the same part in the hope of having customers purchase individual parts that may not be necessary. Since I have never loaded any rifle calibers on my 650 I found it necessary to question the shell holder mainly as I don't think a $40 part is necessary when my 45acp shell holder seems to work fine. There are others like myself that might find it useful to print out the Part number of the individual parts in their conversion kits to see if a whole new kit would absolutely be needed for a different caliber. In my case I wish to load 22-250 and .308 and I find myself needing (5) parts to be able to load two additional calibers when I check the other conversion kits I have already on my shelf. In my case to be able to add the 22-250 and 308 to the calibers I already have will cost me an additional $100 including shipping. At the current price of I think around $82 a conversion I will save some money. I've already made myself a list of the parts I will need for other conversions in order to make the conversions for 22-250 and 308.
    As much as I thought I didn't need no fancy chart I thought what the heck and downloaded it. I found it useful after I deleted the calibers that I simply will never have. The yellow for owned kits and part numbers was useful. As much as I hate change and am stuck in my old ways I will admit the program works nice.

Thanks

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    I don’t remember if you have a 3D printer or not but there are free down loads for the case feed adapters out there.
    No its on my hold list right now. Getting ready to buy a home in Arizona next month and put this one up for sale. Wife says no new stuff. I can get by with small things but I don't think I can hide a 3D printer right now.

Boolit Bub
    You know what - I just setup a Dillon 650 yesterday, first use today. I used Lee Loadmasters for about a year and loaded around 6K rounds of ammo. Lee tells you that the shell plate for the 9mm and 40 are the same. But not Dillon. Kind of frustrating as I am loading 40 now and the 9mm conversion was included in the deal I purchased. Yep, I am using the Lee Loadmaster turnable case feeder too. Sorry guys, it works and doesn't cost $300. Oh, and using Lee dies and Lee powder measure. Mike Dillon doesn't like me prolly, but it works fine and I do not have to learn a new system.

I did see the "spreadsheet" online that tells you the sizes, etc for each case feed / bushing / thing. Hell, the "W" for the 40 conversion doesn't get used with any other single piece. I almost said screw it and used the 9mm to see how it would work, but waited on the 40 kit.

Lee tells you that the shell plate for the 9mm and 40 are the same. But not Dillon. Kind of frustrating
    Not as frustrating as having to dig up another die to center the 9mm case in the too large shell plate to get priming 100%, in the Loadmaster. I would have bought an extra shell plate, if they made one the right size.

Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    What you are describing, sharing parts from multiple kits for other calibers, is exactly what the software helps you do. If you right click on a caliber and choose “owned”, the part numbers you have are highlighted for any other calibers that use the same part.

I don’t know why the 25-06 and 30-06 have different shell plate numbers when they are both the same parent case, which is the 30-06. This is the same shell holder for the 45 ACP. The locator buttons are also the same. The same shell plate can also be used for the 22-250 and 308 since they are also based on the 30-06 parent case. If you have the 30-06 kit, you should not need anything else to load 308. You would need a different powder funnel for the .22 caliber case mouth of the 22-250. This would be the same as a 223 so if you load that, you already have it. The software shows that the case feeder adapter is needed. The 30-06 case feeder will probably work fine, so try that. The 308 uses the same case feed adapter that the 30-06 uses and the 22-250 case is similar in length.

The most important parts are the shell plate, locator buttons, and powder funnel. If cases feed with whatever else you are using, you should be good to go.

There is also a “what do I need?” Option under “View” that shows you the parts you have, the conversion kit they are in, and any additional parts. To use this feature, select the caliber you would like to load (left click and the line turns blue) and then choose “View” and “What do I need”. For the 22-250, it shows that all the parts come from the 30-06/308 (shell plate is from the 45 ACP) and the powder funnel comes from a 22 caliber kit.

You can also click on a part number and then click on the column heading to see all the calibers that use the part. Click on “complete conversion” to get back to where you were.
    Last edited by garandsrus; 02-25-2019 at 01:25 AM.

enter what you have

enter what you want

http://thegunwiki.com/apps/calconversion/

this website tells you what parts you'll need

Last edited by derek45; 02-25-2019 at 12:24 PM.

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by garandsrus View Post
    What you are describing, sharing parts from multiple kits for other calibers, is exactly what the software helps you do. If you right click on a caliber and choose “owned”, the part numbers you have are highlighted for any other calibers that use the same part.

I don’t know why the 25-06 and 30-06 have different shell plate numbers when they are both the same parent case, which is the 30-06. This is the same shell holder for the 45 ACP. The locator buttons are also the same. The same shell plate can also be used for the 22-250 and 308 since they are also based on the 30-06 parent case. If you have the 30-06 kit, you should not need anything else to load 308. You would need a different powder funnel for the .22 caliber case mouth of the 22-250. This would be the same as a 223 so if you load that, you already have it. The software shows that the case feeder adapter is needed. The 30-06 case feeder will probably work fine, so try that. The 308 uses the same case feed adapter that the 30-06 uses and the 22-250 case is similar in length.

The most important parts are the shell plate, locator buttons, and powder funnel. If cases feed with whatever else you are using, you should be good to go.

There is also a “what do I need?” Option under “View” that shows you the parts you have, the conversion kit they are in, and any additional parts. To use this feature, select the caliber you would like to load (left click and the line turns blue) and then choose “View” and “What do I need”. For the 22-250, it shows that all the parts come from the 30-06/308 (shell plate is from the 45 ACP) and the powder funnel comes from a 22 caliber kit.

You can also click on a part number and then click on the column heading to see all the calibers that use the part. Click on “complete conversion” to get back to where you were.
    If you refer to post #14 you will see that I acknowledged the usefulness of the program, the ability to click on what do I need and view the Part Numbers and associated parts that I have. I stated I believe it was useful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast