Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad DataTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shot my M1 Garand for the first time

Boolit Master

Shot my M1 Garand for the first time

Went to the range Friday. I took along my M1. It had made it to the range 3 times and not fired yet.

We have steel set up @100 and 200yds. I have been shooting my 223 a lot and a 300/221 Encore rifle. Hitting the steel with an '06 is almost shocking after shooting the mouse guns for a while. I love the heavy smack on the steel.

I have shot larger calibers before but never at steel. Have to say it's fun. No point to my story just sharing.

Boolit Master
    I know what your saying....nothing the garand has a personality all of its own. I think it's that long op rod that gives it that warm fuzzy filing against your shoulder
    when the dust settles and the smoke clears all that matters is I hear the words " well done my good and faithfully servant "

<(*)(()><

Congratulations on owning one and shooting it. They're addicting, kind of like jellybeans. Hard to hold it down to just one, and so much knowledge and history to be learned. It just might become your favorite rifle.

Boolit Master

To me, there is nothing comparable to shooting a Garand-- 8 whoomps and a ping. Mine is a '54 IHC, fantastic shooter. One of these days I'm gonna try 800 yd at our gun range. Glad you finally got it shooting. Enjoy it.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master
    Mine is also a 54 IHC. It is a CMP model with original receiver and all new parts including a Criterion match barrel. It was unfired (Since CMP) before Friday

Boolit Master
    When I enlisted in the Navy in 1952 I weighed 117 pounds. We had week of rifle training starting with 22 target rifles. I had fired lots of 22s but never a center fire before. I was looking forward to shooting my first. We formed a line to get the ammo. We turned our white hat inside out to hold the ammo. We got five clips. I asked, is this all we get and of course the guy said, "move on". We fired the first round and I thought, OMG, 39 more to go. Talk about pain. I don't see how I fired the other rounds but I qualified and did not have to go back for more punishment. I don't think I have fired another Garand since. When the DCM began selling Garands, I qualified for one and had all the paper work ready but never mailed it. At the time they were $125.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master

I got my M1 Garand from the DCM in 1988. It was a Walnut Stocked Winchester made in June 1944. All Winchester Parts. It was in 95%+ Condition.

It also had It's rear sight moved half way to the left. I didn't touch the sight first time I fired it. It hit dead center at 100yrds. I don't know if the barrel is bent or the sights are screwed up. Probably why it was never issued. Just put aside and never bothered with.

I don't care, it shoots great with the sights screwed halfway to the left.
    Still using my DAD'S load; 150gr FMJ over 46.0grs of H4895. 5 rds into 2inches or less.

I know the U.S. Gov't paid $88 for it in WW2. I had to pay $166. For Storage, handling, packaging, shipping and who knows what else.

Great Rifle.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

The one thing I always liked about the Garand, as a citizen, was the weight of it, to counter the recoil. As an Infantryman, I wouldn't like to lug that thing around all day. It has recoil, but to me, doesn't seem like much. I got mine in the early '80s--I saw an ad in the American Rifleman and responded to it. The company was selling surplus Garands to law enforcement only for $125. Got my Sheriff to sign off on my application(was a deputy at the time) and received mine in a few months. Seemed like it must have come from an Asian country, as the stock had been shortened. Apparently, the country had received M16's as military aid and were selling/returning previously supplied U.S. surplus. Got a replacement stock and there you are.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master
    Mine is a CMP IH as well, love the things! They are an accurate service rifle and I never thought the recoil was a concern. I shot high power with one and enjoyed it, they were just starting the Garand match when I shifted to coaching SCTP. Really need to work up a cast load for it, rountuit issues, one day.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Mine is also a 1954, made by H&R. Stenciled rebuilt 1966. Assembled with Springfield parts for all but receiver. 1954 must have been a good year for M1's.

Boolit Master
    If your shoulder is a little tender (like mine-- from an old surgery with a pin and a couple of screws) you can just download a little. That's what I do for my CMP Service Grade Special (1954 H&R). I slow it down to about 2600 fps and the recoil is no issue at all. Wonderful rifles!
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master
    Probably the most iconic rifle that lasted for 3 wars. WWII, Korea and Vietnam. Mine is a Blue Sky from South Korea. Came with a Remington national match op rod. Bore on this one is really nice. Stock was really beat up so when midway had the Boyd's stock set on sale for $120 or so bought one. Mine is a Springfield Armory one dated to 1943. Loves LC 67 M2 ball. Even old eyes like mine find the iron sights easy to use. Frank

Boolit Master

I have a Springfield made in '53 that I have shot probably 1,000 rounds through and the major groups are lurking in the parts bin in a dark corner of the garage. I paid $750 to a shooting club member and it is a very decent example of a normal Garand. Last year I stumbled across a Winchester made in April '43 when I just just 3 months old. I has a large crack on the wooden top piece closest to the receiver that was repaired with glue and brass nails. Also somebody hacked the butt off and put on a decent foam recoil pad. I bought a new stock unfinished and sanded and refinished it with Linseed Oil over a 6 month period. Now I hafta remove that old battered stock and replace it with mine and add the few metal pieces (ie; Buttplate, spring door in plate etc) necessary for a complete job. I have not taken it out to the range yet in it's present condition but I will do it soon.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

In Remembrance

I have a '41 Winchester and it has to be one of my favorite rifles in my humble collection for two reasons.
    One, I love me a Garand and two, my wife bought it for me, a lot of fun in a Garand package.

Boolit Master
    I have a 54 hra, Springfield op rod and rifle from cmp. Loved it so much o loaded 2 full ammo cans of ammo for it. Wifey loves it too.
    Life is so much better with dogs!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GARD72977 View Post
    Mine is also a 54 IHC. It is a CMP model with original receiver and all new parts including a Criterion match barrel. It was unfired (Since CMP) before Friday
    That’s what mine is as well, but with a 1942 Springfield receiver. I love taking it to the range. It’s like taking your classic car out on a nice day and it usually attracts a lot of interest and questions. It also makes you realize how important it was in the battle against evil in World War II.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    Mine was a 53 HRA service grade with a CMP birch stock. All HRA except the SA oprod. Traded with another CMP forum member for and HRA oprod and replaced the stock with the appropriate GI walnut stock. Fun shooter but my arthritis made it unpleasant after a 3 or 4 clips. Gave it to my son and he really enjoys it, and yes you definitely know when you hit the steel plates.

Banned
    Springfield born in march 43 it was rearsenaled in 50 with a new barrel h&r i think cant remember offhand shoots good real good likes the cast in 170-180 weight.

Waiting for good weather!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast