WidenersRepackboxLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: H&R Handi Ultra Varmint -Spare Parts ?

Boolit Master

H&R Handi Ultra Varmint -Spare Parts ?

Just picked up a nice Handi Ultra Varmint with a .223 Bull barrel and a .308 Bull Barrel and wanted to ask what spare parts would you recommend I get? I've seen a couple sites carry some factory parts with some inventory in stock, but a bunch has been marked discontinued and sold out. I figured I'd get a firing pin and maybe some extractors for each caliber if different, but beyond that I'm not sure.
    I don't expect to shoot the heck out of this rifle, but also don't want it to become a safe queen, specially due to a broken part. So those who've had to replace parts, what were they?
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Wolf hammer spring. I think they have a double legged one that can be pretty helpful if you start getting light primer strikes.

I found a couple of complete trigger assembly's reasonable on ebay so I snapped them up. Seemed like a good idea.

Boolit Grand Master

Numrich has parts at least the firing pin and extractor your looking for. It's where I got one for the 35Whelen.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/search#query=handi%20rifle
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

I have replaced exactly ONE firing pin on an H&R shotgun because my dumb brother kept dry firing it. Firing pin, extra trigger guard and latch spring are my spares kit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    In 30+ years of gunsmithing, I have replaced about 100 of the lifter/striker assembly, they have a couple of weak places in this piece that can be broken by dry firing in just a few strikes.

Quote Originally Posted by koger View Post
    In 30+ years of gunsmithing, I have replaced about 100 of the lifter/striker assembly, they have a couple of weak places in this piece that can be broken by dry firing in just a few strikes.
    Yes, sir. The old rebounding hammer is more durable I suspect. I was always told to never dry fire a Rimfire or a shotgun and I've abided by that rule since I was racking &clicking my brothers m500 Mossberg and it made a tiny sliding noise as the firing pin tip left the barrel and hit the floor. Different brother- if you were saying "karma"��

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by koger View Post
    Is this for the shotguns or the rifles?
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

They are the same for rifle and shotgun.

Boolit Master

Is this the part?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	H&R part.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	236244

Or is it another?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HR Parts List.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	236245
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master

"...a bunch has been marked discontinued and sold out."

THAT's what you need.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

You've pictured the barrel latch. #22 is the transfer bar assembly- that's the weak link. Koger can confirm this. I had an Ultra Varmint in .223 wth a gorgeous fiddleback maple stock set. I had a 20x Leupold on it and killed a deer at 30 yards with it- talk about hair in the scope!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    You've pictured the barrel latch. #22 is the transfer bar assembly- that's the weak link. Koger can confirm this. I had an Ultra Varmint in .223 wth a gorgeous fiddleback maple stock set. I had a 20x Leupold on it and killed a deer at 30 yards with it- talk about hair in the scope!

Thanks, I think I've found a site with some, says reproduction so maybe they will be available for a bit...still getting one.

This rifle came with a decent wood stock, checkered and in good condition. SN says its an 06', previous (original) owner said it came as a .223, then had a .308 barrel factory fitted for it. Everything looks like it was well taken care of, and the barrels fit nice and tight. My guess is that any more barrels will be hit or miss as to how well they will fit.
    ~Pericles~

Graybeards Outdoors has the most H&R/NEF info psi than any site I know of.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Graybeards Outdoors has the most H&R/NEF info psi than any site I know of.

Yes, found them early on, that's where I found links to the parts suppliers. I joined last night, lots of info there, and a few related items for sale too.
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Buddy
    Just look up Jack First in South Dakota. (605) 343-9544. He should have what you need.
    If he don't , he can make it. Fast service, shipping is high, but you get what you need.
    webfoot10

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by webfoot10 View Post
    Just look up Jack First in South Dakota. (605) 343-9544. He should have what you need.
    If he don't , he can make it. Fast service, shipping is high, but you get what you need.
    webfoot10
    Thanks, I'll keep them in mind. They are kind of high, but they seem to make a repair kit for the part we are discussing.
    ~Pericles~