RepackboxRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Savage 219

Banned

Savage 219

I've been a fan of these for a while. My .22 Hornet is my favorite squirrel rifle, have a really nice one in .30-30 as well, but it is unmolested and I won't drill holes in it so it will only be as good as I can shoot the open sights.

Seems these are getting harder to find and expensive when you do. Went shopping with the wife and visited a LGS and there sat a .30-30 one cheap. It has a hardwood stock rather than the nice walnut of my other two, and I'm thinking the forend is a 20 gauge shotgun forend but seems to fit well enough, not as slender as my others, but OK. Best of all, this one had already been drilled and tapped for one of the side mounts so I can scope it, and I have several old Weavers around that will look right.

I'm pretty pumped about finding this. Got the bore soaking with some Ed's Red and it looks like it's cleaning up real nice. I need to put a primed case in it and make sure it doesn't have a broken firing pin which is a common problem for these. I really need to not do the impulse gun purchases like that, but couldn't pass this one up.

Banned
    Even if the bore is terrible, JES can make it a 35-30 AI.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SvenLindquist View Post
    Even if the bore is terrible, JES can make it a 35-30 AI.
    I have a ruined .30-30 barrel and a spare receiver someplace, somebody tried to drill and tap it for a top scope base and drilled into the chamber. I plan on eventually getting someone to put a liner in it to make it a .32 S&W Long or similar for a small game rifle, but it's easy enough to down load a .30-30 to do the same thing, and a .22 Hornet with cast does pretty well too.

The bore in this one looks good, no need for a rebore. I like the .30-30 real well as is.

Boolit Master
    Good show, Rich! I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a 219 myself. (Helluvit is, I had a dandy one years ago- one that my Dad had fitted with about every barrel Savage made to fit that frame, including a couple shotgun barrels. In a weak moment I let it go for a very pretty penny- but the money did finance a tasty Mannlicher-Schoenauer so it wasn't so bad a deal.)

In Remembrance

I`ve got an early model that is scoped for my old eyes. It just feels right with the way they made the walnut stocks fit. I believe I paid $150.00 for my .30-30 about 3 years back. It shoots nicely with a #311041 and a case of IMR-3031.Robert

Banned

I shot it this afternoon at 25 yards with some light weight bullets and 6-7 grains of 700X. Grouped fine, but still hits quite low with the open sights (which are about as precise as open sights get for me, I like them). Trigger pull is decent.

It misfired on enough of them to bother me. Usually, the second time would set them off, and when they were fired, the primer strikes didn't seem light looking at the spent primers. I think I'm gonna take the stocks and barrel off and soak the action in some Ed's Red and see if maybe it's just old gunked up oil. I have read enough about what a bear these are to take apart, so I'm gonna try the easy stuff first.

I hope to have a scope on it soon, and then I'll really be able to tell what she'll do. I really like the .30-30 round and it really comes into it's own in a single shot.

Boolit Master
    I like those too, presently without one. I wonder if a 3030 219 barrel would fit my Stevens M94 ? It's a 28ga but I think the frame is the same. Oddly enough, the M94 is the only 28ga I took hunting this year. A 2 barrel set would be Cool!
    Hopefully your light strikes are just dirt, keep us posted.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Banned

There is a guy on a .22 Hornet facebook page I'm on who did just that with a 219 Hornet barrel and a 94 action, though I can't remember what gauge.

I came into some 16 gauge shells, enough that when a well worn, but tightly locking model 94 presented itself at a gun show for $60, I bought it. It has quickly become my favorite shotgun, I think, and one of my favorite guns for just walking around my place. The slim, graceful feel of these guns is great.

I may have to take one of my 219 barrels and try it on my 94, I bet it would work. They seem to be the same action, just one has a hammer and one doesn't.

Banned

Looking a little closer at this one today, I'm pretty sure some prior owner restocked this one at some point. The stock is obviously hardwood, and all other 219s I've seen had walnut. The forend is walnut (I think) but is obviously cut for a 20 gauge barrel and there's a lot of clearance around this .30-30 barrel, still fits tight, but is also bigger in profile and not as slim handling as they usually are.

Thinking about finding a Model 24 stock with the monte carlo cheek piece since I'm planning on scoping this one.

I have an early model 219 in .30-30, with a 20 gauge shotgun barrel that goes with it. Same forend for both. Sadly I've never gotten around to shooting the thing, (for shame). I'd love to find a .22 Hornet barrel for it, but they are mighty rare.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    I had several of these a while back. .30-30, .22 K Hornet, .219 Zipper, .32-20, and .22 Hornet. The K Hornet and .219 Zipper had been re chambered. Sold all but the .22 Hornet. That one's a keeper. Bought it from an acqiaintance years back and it has sentimental value. Neat rifles and fun to shoot. My Hornet has a period scope on it. Came with Lyman Tang tool and bullets. Previous owner used .223 bullets rather than .224 and I stayed with that. My understanding is that they had .223 barrels.

Banned

I think Hornets made post WWII have .224 bores. No idea what mine is, never slugged it and don't care. Only ever shot cast in it and light cast at that. Sized to .225, they work great.

I have to ask, which gun shop? I haven't been up that way in a while but I like to stay current on which are decent on this end of the state.

I've had several 219s in 30/30 and a couple 22 Hornets. We did some extensive 30/30 shooting with spitzers and other bullets than don't generally cycle in Levers. I would have to say the 219 will outshoot any 30/30 lever that I've owned. The Hornady 1/2 jacket plinkers made fine squirrel loads.

I was at a small show and a guy had a 219zipper barrel. It was nice, good bore but not much blue left. He wanted $150 for it and wouldn't budge. I figured I would let him stew and give him $100 for it next day before show closed. This guy is one of those who has $17 worth of $11 guns. I went back over to deal and he had that
    barrel on a late Stevens 94. Now at $350. He had done some Bubba on both ends. The forend stud he had filed
    on and hinge block. I don't think gun would have fired because of gap you could call head space if there was any.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by firebyprolong View Post
    I have to ask, which gun shop? I haven't been up that way in a while but I like to stay current on which are decent on this end of the state.
    Cleave's in Salina. Pretty much my favorite gun shop. One of those good ones with a lot of old stuff and interesting people where you never really know what's gonna show up.

I have a 219 in 22 hornet that I bought without realizing the barrel is jacked. Never found a replacement barrel for it. If I do find one, is this something I can slap on and shoot, or should I take it to a smith for fitting? Could I put a 30-30 barrel on it instead?
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Banned

What's wrong with the barrel? I have a ruined .30-30 barrel I plan to send out for getting lined to a small caliber someday.

The lug that secures the barrel in the action is cracked.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Master

I pretty sure I have a 12G 220 barrel that will fit your frame!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Also affectionately known as "thieves marine". They always have of boxes and plies of stuff to dig in, neat guns in the rack and a fairly thick layer of dust over the works, in short a great shop for gun guys. I haven't been in there in a few years, a situation I need to correct soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast