MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2Wideners
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: Savage 340 barrels

Boolit Master

Savage 340 barrels

Soooooo.....

I have this addiction......

I have several Stevens 325's and Savage 340's and Revelation 225's, and most are chambered in 30-30. What I am looking for, is a means to re-barrel, re-bore, or sleeve some of them, to calibers that suit my fancy. I am thinking of sending two of them to J E S Rifle Reboring, getting them made into 35-30 and 38-55. I would also like to have 1 in 32 special, and 22 hornet, but he doesn't bore smaller than .35 caliber, and I don't have a .224 bore barrel for the hornet.
    I do have a complete action and bolt assembly for the hornet, so that one would be just a case of getting a barrel made, but I'm not sure whether I should have one of the 30-30 barrels sleeved, or start with a barrel blank, or start with a take-off barrel from a suitable donor rifle.
    Oh, and the barrels on these rifles, even though they use a barrel nut, also use a cone breech, so that makes it even more fun!
    So many questions!!
    What are some of the ideas out there???

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

Threading a barrel for it should be straight forward enough and if you're lucky the Sav 110 shank/ threads may be the same. Lots of 110 barrels out there. A shortened, rethreaded& rechambered 22-250 could become a Hornet. The same in 25-06 could become a 25-35 Win. Although you might find an original .22 Hornet barrel from GunPartsCorp/Numrich. Do it and post it up, I love to read of other's projects!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I was hoping that would be the case, but the 110 series small shank is 1.055" at the shank threads, and as best I can tell, the 340 series is .855 - .860 at the shank threads. The other issue is that the 340 series rifles use a cone breach vs. the flat breach face of the 110 series. I really don't want to change the extraction mechanism on the 340 to work with a flat breach face.
    I constantly check gunparts for the "unicorn" barrel, but no joy so far!!

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

I am thinking of sending two of them to J E S Rifle Reboring, getting them made into 35-30 and 38-55. I would also like to have 1 in 32 special, and 22 hornet, but he doesn't bore smaller than .35 caliber,
    Check with Wayne York at Oregon Gunsmithing. He does really nice work.
    Oregunsmithing, LLC
    W. Wayne York, Gunmaker
    43906 Jerico Lane
    Pendleton, OR 97801
    Phone: 541-278-4177
    Fax: 541-278-4797
    Email: Oregunsmithing@earthlink.net
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    I am guilty of doing crazy things with mausers and carcanos but looking over my 340 I lost interest. I do not like their weak extraction, inability to eject long nose bullets and closed triggers. I do love it in its 30-30 mode!
    Look twice, shoot once.

If you like the Savage 340 series rifles and haven't already seen this website you might be interested to have a look at it ... lots of great information there.

http://www.leeroysramblings.com/Gun%..._bolt_act.html
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Al View Post
    If you like the Savage 340 series rifles and haven't already seen this website you might be interested to have a look at it ... lots of great information there.

http://www.leeroysramblings.com/Gun%..._bolt_act.html
    That's in my favorites list, and has been for some time. It's a great resource for figuring out what you have and what info is available out there. I actually ended up finding that site by going through the Wisner's web site to get a magazine for one of my model 325s.

My fascination with these rifles started when I was 15 or 16. My Dad wasn't a hunter, but one of his coworkers had invited him to go hunting with them. When I found out about it, I begged and pleaded to be included. My Dad tried to get out of it by pointing out that I didn't have a firearm to use, and his friend responded by telling him that there were all sorts of appropriate rifles available at the local pawn shop. Dad said if I was willing to pay for it, he would take me down and help me purchase one. You guessed it, it ended up being a Savage model 340, chambered in 30-30, with the Dockendorf thumb wheel rear sight (paid $65.00). Shot my first deer with it, but years later, after starting a family, pawned it to pay bills and wasn't able to retrieve it.
    Today, I have accumulated several, but I'm trying to put together a collection that covers not only the original chamberings, but those that are interesting and appropriate - like the 35-30 and 38-55.

Anyway, just a little background.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skipper View Post
    Check with Wayne York at Oregon Gunsmithing. He does really nice work.
    Oregunsmithing, LLC
    W. Wayne York, Gunmaker
    43906 Jerico Lane
    Pendleton, OR 97801
    Phone: 541-278-4177
    Fax: 541-278-4797
    Email: Oregunsmithing@earthlink.net
    I talked with Wayne this afternoon - great guy to talk to!
    I've not made up my mind if I'm going to send a couple to him, but I am thinking on it.
    Still open to other ideas!

Boolit Master
    You can always consider a mutt like the .25 Remington using .30-30 brass. You wind up with a rimmed .25 Remington.

Then you could use .303 brass with the rim cut down a little to make a rimmed .35 Rem. which has the advantage of standard dies but requires modified brass.
    EDG