MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWideners
Lee PrecisionLoad DataTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: his weeks projescts

Boolit Grand Master

his weeks projescts

This weeks projects were 4 flash hole deburring tools and a few need case trimmer pilots I modified a little'

The flash hole deburring tools will do 20 cal up to 45 cal ( maybe 50 cal) and a case length of up to 4" 2 are straight shanks with a 1 3/8" knob. the other 2 have a short lever to aid turning. Main shaft is 3/16" cold rolled round stock. drilled 1/8" hole in end to depth of 1/2 a #0 center drill, end of rod sets depth the drill can cut. A Taper alignment bushing 1 1/4" long 1/2" on dia tapered from .190 to .500 leaving a 1/4" straight section at top was fitted to the shaft. This keeps rod centered in case mouth. Knob was turned from oak dowel for comfortable fit in hand. half a center drill was glued in the shafts hole with JBweld epoxy tapered bushing set and knob glued on with 1 1/4" depth. The 2 straights cuts smooth and even the stop makes a nice even depth of cut.
    The second 2 are the same but the shaft is bent to form a 1 3/4" handle to turn. a 1 1/4" end is turned up and a spinning knob is fitted. These 2 cut very smooth and clean are easier on my wrist than twisting is. Again the end of rod shaft stop controls cut nicely. In these 2 I relieved the shaft to match the flutes on the center drill so chips don't build up.
    Im thinking that a carbide #0 center drill would be better with its slightly less relief ( wouldn't grab on sharp edges) and could be silver soldered into shaft. I cut the center drills in half since they are double end and there was no point burying a new end in the shaft never to be used. I could then also build the out side of the end up increasing stop thickness and making the tapered bushing captive.

The trimmer pilots were something I've wanted to try. not straight sided but crowned like a flat belt pulley. the dia is in the center of the front portion front and back edges are smaller. gives better chip clearance at the cutter and moves full dia into case away from burrs and dings to a smooth surface. The stem is 3/16" dia 1/2" long. the body is 5/8" long/ crown is 5* front and back with 3/16" drive band in the center. Tested 45 cal in redding trimmer today. Cut very smooth no chatter or tight spots got a cut that looked like glass an improvement there. Handle turned smoother and easier with no tight spots or binding. Chips didn't seem to pack in cutter like before. Final was to flame color them and water quench. I also cut a small flat for the cutters set screw to bear on so pilots slide in and out easily. No burr binding from set screw.

Boolit Grand Master

A brief description of the new cutter pilots geometry. they are the .186 stem for the Redding trimmer 3/8" long with a small flat for orientation. The body is turned to cases inside neck dia. the outside end away from stem is chamfered at 8* and .050removed at the angle. Back side ( end with stem) is chamfered at 8* and .030 removed from dia,
    The back chamfer moves the body size ahead around 1/8"-3/16" ahead of the cutter in the case.
    These changes allow several things to happen.
    1) its easier to walk the case on and off the pilot as it allows it to be angled going on and off
    2) the smaller dia at the back lets chips fall out better so the cutter is plugging with chips between the pilot and flutes
    3) the bearing support is inside of the case mouth. Far enough to be away from most dings burrs and rough edges. Allows the trimmer to turn smoother and cut truer.
    I trimmed 250 45-70 cases as a test with the 45 R made as above. no chip loading, turned smooth and even. cases went on and off easily. Cuts hovered around .001 or less, and cuts looked like glass. I increased pilot dia by .001 over redding pilot. .454 Mine is .455. Burrs and small dings in the mouth didn't seem to have any effect on this pilot.