Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: Small amount of Lathe work needed.

Small amount of Lathe work needed.

I have a little project im working on. I need some help with a little lathe work.
    I can draw a sketch if needed. However, I think its simple enough I can describe it in enough detail.

Im starting with a lyman ezee case trimmer. What I want to do, is make a larger end for the part that pushes against the bottom of the case. Its about 1/4 as is, and goes through a hole, so the part has to be made separate and attached.

Basically I need a small disc .300 inch, and .50-.70 thick. If it was made similar to a gas check, out of steel, with the inner diameter to fit over the shaft of the ezee trimmer pretty close, it would be fine to JB weld it in place. Or It could be soldiered in place. The trimmer has a recess made into it already to accommodate this addition.

Then, the other thing is I need my shell holders center hole opened to 5/16 so that they will accommodate the larger diameter of the trimmers shaft. I have a lee shell holder set, if its easy enough, might as well open them all up. They are hardened, and I tried to drill one open, but the bit wouldnt touch it.

If you're willing to help me out on this project, im glad to offer something on the PIF as a thank you.

Thanks for your consideration.

~Bazoo

Boolit Grand Master

The piece for the lyman trimmer isn't going to be to hard to do. The .300" dia and .250 recess isn't going to have mush thickness to the rim though .300-.250 / 2 = .025 lip but should be okay with a solid fill of jb weld to support it. Im assuming this pushes to lock case in shell holder so a light case hardening or even hardening wouldn't hurt any either. Not a big deal though. a smooth finish and no sharp corners is important to not marr brass.

The shell holders are a different story as this is going to be a major undertaking. The shell holders are very hard They will more than likely require carbide tooling to modify, the small amount needed to be removed may negate drills and require them to be bored out with a carbide boring bar. This may not even be ideal it may take a post grinder and small diamond wheels. ( the last shell holder I had heat treat check was 55-58 RC very hard). Grinding one out with a post grinder would be time consuming .001 at a time a set would be some real work. A edm would do it quick and easily but there aren't a lot of them in hobby shops. You will want to take the hole out to .310 - .315 so the new plug has a little clearance to move freely thru the hole.

PM me the sketch of the disc I may be able to help you out with it. But the shell holders are beyond my equipment currently.

Howdy, thank you for the information. I will send you a few pictures.

Pictures wouldn't load from the phone in message so I'm loading them here. The little disc is steel but with a brass plating and is not attached just setting on the tool for reference.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	236152

Views:	44 
Size:	72.7 KB 
ID:	236153

Views:	43 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	236154

Views:	40 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	236181Click image for larger version. 

Views:	39 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	236182