WidenersRepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Below Zero with Cast

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I've not experimented with powder coat in cold weather, but I do know other lubes act different in cold conditions. Loads need worked up for the temperature difference.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks for the info. As I get older, my enthusiasm for cold weather is greatly diminished.
    I've gone to our range when i get cabin fever, but shooting is hard. I shoot open sights. mostly and with the constant air moving, my eyes
    tear up.

I clear them, relax, gat a few shots off, and repeat. Couple of weeks ago, I hit the 200 yard gong 14 times out of 15 shots. About 20˚ that day. Called it quits.
    Just too darn cold to shoot. We had RARE 40˚ in January. I took advantage.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    There is always Coyote Creek range to shoot indoors, IIRC.

G’Luck!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Grand Master
    Larry, not sure it was Bullshop...does Eutectic ring a bell?
    Don Verna

Thanks for sharing Larry, and thanks to everyone for contributing. This is a very interesting thread.

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I've not experimented with powder coat in cold weather, but I do know other lubes act different in cold conditions. Loads need worked up for the temperature difference.
    I will start by saying I have no experience with temps cold enough to matter, I don’t shoot if it’s uncomfortablely chilly. My only observation would be it would be easier to simply warm the ammo as opposed to creating cold only loads. The water bottle trick seemed easy enough

Boolit Master
    The person who mentioned cold performance with Blue Dot is onto something very important. I've read numerous cautions about that powder in cold conditions, some handgun, some shotgun.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    There is always Coyote Creek range to shoot indoors, IIRC.

G’Luck!
    I forget about them. I should check into it. I'm off Friday and Monday.
    Have you been??

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    I forget about them. I should check into it. I'm off Friday and Monday.
    Have you been??

Shiloh
    No, not yet for me. My oldest son & my nieces hubby have been on a few occasions. ( both former Army combat vets & like to get some "cheap thrills" on occasion doing some shooting.

They seem to like it alright. They only shoot factory & have not kept brass though. ( Even though I try to remind them, but I usually find out they've been shooting "after the fact".) I reckon they are thinkin about having a few brews afterwards & talking "shop", quaffing some brews & BBq-ing or something.

I have talked to the "resident gunsmith almost a year ago & he seemed like a pretty good feller.
    One of these days, I'll get a "wild hair" & stop in there for more info & maybe shoot a bit.

I go by there 2X every time I go to Stewartville to see my oldest, his missus & the two grandboys, but it is usually a "family get together" & time is limited.

If I go, I will let ya know more.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    I don’t get out of the house when it’s below 30 unless I have to
    Yikes. I would turn all sorts of strange colors suffering from cabin fever.

When its sub-zero I usually do more active things to keep warm like a primitive biathlon of sorts, snowshoe around and shoot my muzzleloader off-hand. Sittin' on a bench trying to shoot tiny groups in an area with no trees for at least a hundred yards would seem like madness to me. I actually prefer my muzzleloader in the cold. I can shoot, reload and shoot again without removing my gloves. I haven't figured out how to do that with my shell-shucker guns. Maybe my 9mm could work if I had a pile of magazines, but the trigger guard is too small.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12