MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Black guns

Boolit Bub

Black guns

I dont own one but can anybody tell me what makes the price go from the $300 to up over $2000 for a 223/5.56. AR15

It's like Kias to Mercedes, you get nicer Parts the more you pay. I have found that I $500 AR15 will do everything I need an AR-15 to do. But if someone gave me a Les Baer I would be crying tears of joy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Its like buying cigars, bread, booze, cars, diamonds, clothes etc.
    They all work, but there is often a seen, or unseen quality difference.

Anybody can buy cheap stuff cheap, the challenge is to buy good stuff cheap.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Plain and simple "Supply and demand". you want It you pay for it
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Master
    You see the same in all spectrums of firearms. A savage axis is $300-ish and an Accuracy International is $5,000 before you even add a scope that can maximize the capabilities of the platform. They are both bolt action rifles.

Boolit Bub
    I get confused easy , they buy one that they say is perfect than start changing out everything on it. I think I will keep the old war rifles at least I understand when somone says dont shoot hunting loads in the garand or the old 30-40 Krag has a smooth bolt , it must be somthing about the yr model! Oh Well we like our hobbies

Boolit Grand Master

A lot of it has to do w/ name on the lower receiver alone. There are only so many manufactures of AR parts. But there are quality differences in the other parts of the rifle. W/ an AR money is best spent on a barrel and trigger. You can add a free float handguard to that list if you want to squeeze every bit of accuracy out of it.

Boolit Bub
    The type of people Im seeing around here is just caught up in the fad and buys one then starts decoraoting it like a christmas tree to see how fast they can empty a mag but cant hit a barn door at 50yds. And they got this for their home defence gun, scary

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Divedigger View Post
    The type of people Im seeing around here is just caught up in the fad and buys one then starts decoraoting it like a christmas tree to see how fast they can empty a mag but cant hit a barn door at 50yds. And they got this for their home defence gun, scary
    I love this kind of people. They're the reason I have such a nice collection of brass.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I play around with one that 2 of my younger brothers put together out of left over parts they had and enjoy it . It took a little getting use to the feel of the recoil , and the trigger leaves a lot to be desired , but it will eat up a 1 1/4 bullseye at a hundred yards , with home made ammo .
    A member recently posted about working on the trigger assembly to get reasonable results out of a inexpensive trigger group . I may give it a try .

Boolit Master
    Ive put together 5 PSA AR15s, none of which cost more than $400 including the lower. They all shot the same. My boss couldn't shoot his Daniel Defense any better or faster and I'm not good. Buy what you can afford and be happy.

Boolit Master
    In my youth , I had a older fellow give me some advice about shooting rifles , work up your best load , fix any problems with your rifle , then shoot it until it shoots good , along the way you will become a better shooter .

Banned
    If you get to shoot a $3-5000.00 AR you will understand. It's like going from a Stevens 311 double to a best grade Holland & Holland.

Boolit Master
    Black guns are a good value. A good barrel is cheaper than for any other rifle. Great triggers are also less expensive. All your parts need two Beed good quality but you can over spend on some parts. I have 1400 in a High-power competition AR and it's a tack driver. I have another nice AR with a 1250 dollar scope that is not as accurrate......

They can be really remarkable target guns

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Divedigger View Post
    I have scrounged hundreds upon hundreds of 223/556 brass near the backstop at my club's one hundred yard range. Are some of these fellas shoot'n expensive ARs for home protection, and need to practice from the 7 yard line?

I own a couple ARs, both are unmodified, both have "DPMS" on the Lower. One was made near my hometown in MN, and the other was made by Remlin in Alabama. Both cost a little over $400 each. Both purchased a few months before #45 was elected. With all negative stuff I heard about Remlin, I would have thought I could tell the difference between the two...I can't. But I can say, I don't need to practice shooting from the 7 yard line with either of them
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Bub

Might be a police department using the range , I've seen some departments qualify at that distance , just saying .

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I have scrounged hundreds upon hundreds of 223/556 brass near the backstop at my club's one hundred yard range. Are some of these fellas shoot'n expensive ARs for home protection, and need to practice from the 7 yard line?

I own a couple ARs, both are unmodified, both have "DPMS" on the Lower. One was made near my hometown in MN, and the other was made by Remlin in Alabama. Both cost a little over $400 each. Both purchased a few months before #45 was elected. With all negative stuff I heard about Remlin, I would have thought I could tell the difference between the two...I can't. But I can say, I don't need to practice shooting from the 7 yard line with either of them
    I see that at my range sometimes. There's usually a thin trail of brass leading from the bench to a pile of brass about 15 feet from the target. I always chuckle and figure they got mad at the target and "taught it a lesson" at the end.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I have a .300 BO and a .223 Ar 15, both are of above average quality, I got them off 2 guys needing money fast during their divorces. I mounted some good scopes on them, and they were 1&1/2 inch guns, both of them consistent with the 5# triggers. I got a good deal on a complete #3 fire control unit, and put in the .300 bo, which started shooting 3/4" and better, for 5 shot groups, and all 5 different loads I had on hand, were shooting under an inch. I went straight back to the guy, and bought another trigger, put it in my .223 AR, and danged if it did not do the same thing. I have since worked up handloads for both rifles, that will shoot 1/2" groups for 5 shots, if let to cool between groups. The .300 has gone on to take 3 good sized deer and I regularly varmint hunt with the .223 and a scope with mildots set up for a .223, and have no trouble killing yotes out to 400 yds, about the limits I want to push a .223 to. You get what you pay for, and a little extra $ may outweigh the $ saved!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by sigep1764 View Post
    Ive put together 5 PSA AR15s, none of which cost more than $400 including the lower. They all shot the same. My boss couldn't shoot his Daniel Defense any better or faster and I'm not good. Buy what you can afford and be happy.
    I just bought some PSA during their Valentine's sale. (It's still running,but they're near picked clean, by the way.)

Since I'm building a pistol, I figure it will be accurate enough for my needs. I had intended to get a Spgfld Saint, but it was hard to scrape together $900.

Bulldogger

Banned

Im a psa guy myself and others in that price range. I guess I look at it like this. I can tell time very accurately on my timex and don't have any need to impress my buddys with a rolex. Ive got 6 ars now put together with psa parts and am happy with them all. Id trust my familys lives to them and what more needs to be said. Yup they were for the most part lacking in the trigger dept but even a psa polished trigger group for under 50 bucks gives you a trigger as good as about any out of the box bolt gun. Heck a 15 dollar reduced power spring set and a 10 dollar over travel grip screw replacement will get you there. Only issues ive ran into is due to me building them by parts and some parts that come standard for a 5.56 aren't optimal in a 9mm or a 300 bo. You might have to fool with buffer springs and weights but to me that's about like finding the perfect alloy to cast for a gun. Even those to guns were flawless from the git go with jacketed bullets. Most of the fooling around was to get cast to run a 100 percent in them. My ars are road hard and put away wet. banged around and scratched and USED. I don't need a 2-3000 dollar safe queen. 3000 dollars!!! I probably don't have a whole lot more then that into the 9 ars I own. Well at least 8 of them because I foolishly paid a grand for a alexander arms 50 beo when I could have used a cheaper lower (that was just as good) and saved some money there too. sorry but I don't need a range rover to get to hunting camp either. My jeep gets me there just fine.
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 02-19-2019 at 07:52 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast