Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWideners
RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load Data

Thread: The Generosity Of Fellow Shooters

Boolit Grand Master

The Generosity Of Fellow Shooters

I recently won a Ruger M77 .416 in an online auction for a great price. I happened to be the only one to bid I think because the person did not have a history. I called him the next day and we had a great conversation. He was retired military so we talked about that for a bit and it turned out that he had several big bores. He bought this on whim but after 2 shoulder surgeries the recoil was just a step too far so decided to get rid of it and keep the 375 Ruger and a few slightly smaller ones. I felt pretty good about him so had no problem sending the check. He asked if I wanted some ammo and reloading dies. Um...yeah... He said he had a couple of boxes with the brass he shot and the dies and would let them go for $75 shipped. Sounded good to me so I included it in the check and off it went.

He emailed me when he got the check and then shipped both the ammo to my house and the gun to the FFL the next day. Today the box with the ammo and dies arrived. For $75 he shipped me 5 boxes of Hornady 400gr DGS and a set of unused Redding Dies. Nearly $400 worth of stuff.

Never ceases to amaze me with the community of shooters out there in the hinterlands and how we help each other out. I'm excited to pick up the rifle which has less than 20rounds through it tomorrow. I can't wait to try it so listen for the giant
    KA-BOOOOOMMMMMM

BTW: I asked on a different thread about reloading for this as there is not a lot of data online or in my books for it. I pm'd a member here who had helped me out with another project in the past and sure enough Nobade came through with exactly the information I was looking for. Nobade has a wealth of knowledge and like everyone on this site is always willing to help out in a new endeavor. A big thanks to him both for this and for helping me learn the in's and out's of duplexing loads for a different gun.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Cool.
    I've done a few 'leap of faith' transactions involving me trusting the regulars here, and I've never been burned.

I've also found shooters at the range, as opposed to other sports will help you anyway they can.
    ,,,,,,,,,,,Mostly so you won't have any excuses when they beat ya like a rented mule when you compare targets.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

YUP, good folks these older shooters
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Grand Master
    Great story and thanks for posting.

But I do not envy you one iota when you touch off that first round. I could not sight that monster in.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

A couple of other members here stepped up big time. One is sending me some jwords for a screaming price to get me going on this and another is sending several varieties of boolits to help me settle on a mold so I don't waste money on something that doesn't work.

Great people here.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    A couple of other members here stepped up big time. One is sending me some jwords for a screaming price to get me going on this and another is sending several varieties of boolits to help me settle on a mold so I don't waste money on something that doesn't work.

Great people here.
    You have just realized what we already knew. Those who go to the trouble to cast and load, are way above the average.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

This forum has given me a ton of help over the years. Life has pointed me away from casting in the last few years but I'm still reading up in here, learning from other generous souls and gearing up for my next smelting and casting sessions.

Great story!

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Grand Master

Older shooters have always been that way. I hope the next generation steps up when their time comes. This site is above the average with more than its share of generous people. You and a few others have generously contributed to my cartridge collection. You have given me truck driving advice. Another member sent me a couple of "O" rings for a Lyman 450. I try to pass this on when I can. The list continues........

Oh yeah, enjoy that new rifle!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Great story and thanks for posting.

But I do not envy you one iota when you touch off that first round. I could not sight that monster in.
    My wife seems awful eager for me to try it out and has the video on the phone ready to go.

Boolit Buddy

I'm in my late 70's and have had firearms all my life, but am a rookie compared to most of you folks. I can't begin to tell of the many times I've asked a question, sometimes showing my ignorance, and always got great responses. Off subject from shooting, I once had questions about solar. The late gentleman from Arizona ,Matt(Grumps), PMed me back and forth explaining, with his vast knowledge, every question I had about solar. To each of you, Thanks Greatly, James Caldwell

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wag View Post
    This forum has given me a ton of help over the years. Life has pointed me away from casting in the last few years but I'm still reading up in here, learning from other generous souls and gearing up for my next smelting and casting sessions.

Great story!

--Wag--
    Wag,
    When I was younger and poorer, I had to cast to shoot. For me there was nothing fun about it....I am a shooter...casting was a means to an end. I became reasonably successful and started buying bullets. I have purchased in the area of 100k cast bullets. My time was limited and valuable. I was not going to use it to cast and lubrisize.

With retirement, things changed. I have much more time and casting makes sense again. You are likely experiencing the same. Do not sweat it.

There are many here who love to makes bullets. In fact, would rather cast than shoot. They are different and enjoy the journey.

You will naturally find what is right for YOU, and it will change as your life and pursuits change. Enjoy YOUR journey and have fun.
    Don Verna

In Remembrance

This sweet deal reminded me of the time I bought a sportered Krag. It was a beautiful job done by a compatent `Smith`. When I paid the $150.00 for it the seller also handed me a box that had 11 boxes of factory ammo and fired cases! Robert

Boolit Grand Master

Heres a example of shooters and their good nature and honesty. Just before the Nationals one year I left my shooting mat at a range in mich after a match. Bought a new one when I got to Perry on commercial row. The first day of the cmp/dcm matches I got to my firing point to find the old mat there. Someone has taken the time to find out if I was there and where and drop that mat offat the firing point for me. On most ranges a rifle left setting unattended is safe as is gear and equipment when setting checking targets.

Boolit Grand Master

I've sold quite a bit of brass and lead on this site. When the "I'll take it" comes in I ship it out. I have always gotten a check, cash or money order within a week or so later. No dead beats so far and I will continue to treat the members here like that.

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

you have no idea

when my son had a brain tumor members of this board who don't know me from Adam, offered me everything from opening their homes to organizing a blood drive.

It's humbling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Master
    Bought a 8mm mold from Ben. He didn't know me and sent it out before he had the money in hand. And some members stepped up to the plate when I asked for some 375 cast bullets and some 50 cal cast bullets so's I could slug the barrel on my 56-50 Peabody carbine. The way members help each other is seldom seen on other websites. So thank you to all of you that have helped me out over the years, your generosity is keenly appreciated. Frank

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I tend to believe that people are generally good and give them the benefit if the doubt until proven otherwise. I am glad everything worked out good fore you and happy shooting.

Boolit Master
    A friend of mine recently got a 20 gauge 870, I found a choke pack for him on Ebay. He is both language- and computer limited, no Ebay shopping.

We met yesterday,he got some hulls for me and I gave him the surprise chokes. Well... he opens the trunk "here is something else for you" and gives me a 50 pound pure lead bar and a 5 pound bag of pure tin mini horseshoes.

What goes around,comes around.