Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee Precision
RotoMetals2WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: Lube recomendations requested

Lube recomendations requested

I have a star lubrisizer, with heater. Haven't run any boolits through it yet. I don't want to use the sticky/messy lube I used in my old RCBS.

Any recommendations on a harder, cleaner lube? I'm loading .38's, 9's, .40/10's, and .45's. ... target loads, no hot rod loads.

Thanks

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Carnauba Blue. Barely needs heat (I use 87° on my PID), but I find it not to be as sticky as many others and it keeps my Stars clean.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Grand Master

White Label Carnauba Red or Blue. I like 2500+ better but it’s not nearly as hard as those two. I’ve also found that all of those work better w/ some heat. It’s required for CR. But with the other two I add heat unless it’s been 90+ for a couple days and my unconditioned garage is fully saturated.

You can go harder than CR if you want. White Label sells a bunch of commercial lubes w/ higher melt points.

Boolit Master
    CR is what I use in my Star and LAM II, with a heater. I find it works best for me at 105 degrees, in my heated basement shop. I use it for all my pistols and rifles.

Winelover

Boolit Master

I have used these hard lubes with the Star L/S, using a C&H heater , Red rooster, LBT commercial, Thompsom, Carnuba red, and Magma eng,
    The temp and the amount of lube pressure various for all lubes but you will be somewere in the 105 to 120 degrees range for all lubes.
    I would never go back to soft lubes! get excellent accuracy and no leading, been using the hard lube since the late 1980s

Boolit Master
    I use c- red for most of my lubing it stays in the lube groves well . I supply a couple of my shooting buddy's with 38s and 45s they wanted me to lube the boollits with a lube that would stay in the groves good during storage . When I use my last 2 pounds I am going to try white labels blue . I need a little heat to get it flowing , but not much .

Thanks to all! I assume “CR” = Carnuba Red?

In Remembrance

I used to use Thompson cold bear blue and a few other cold lubes they sold. All needed a bit of heat oon the luber to flow well. Then I discovered Carnuba Red (C.R.) and have not looked back.Robert

Boolit Buddy
    I use the commercial carnuba red 160. It requires a little more heat than standard CR. The standard shoots the same as the 160 but is softer and I get some transfer when bulk packing boolits. I use it form 32 long all the way to 44 mag. as well as 30 and 35 gas checked rifle up to about 1800 or so. I have never seen a lube cover such a range as good as CR.
    Tony

Bought some White Label CR 100. It’s much softer than I expected, or want. It moves at 80 degrees. I sent an email to “them” asking if I was shipped th wrong stuff...

Boolit Bub
    I use Thompson's Blue Angel.
    Located in SW Florida.
    I worry about lube melting in the car.
    So far so good.

Boolit Grand Master

Carnauba Red for me as of lately, however there are several good ones out there. RandyRat's Tac1 and TacX have also worked really well for me in the past. Same with LBT blue which dad swore by and was the only one he used. No issues in 100*, 100% humidity GA heat.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 468 View Post
    Bought some White Label CR 100. It’s much softer than I expected, or want. It moves at 80 degrees. I sent an email to “them” asking if I was shipped th wrong stuff...
    C Red 2500 is what I have been using .