Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersRepackbox
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Cast loads for deer with a 6.5X54 M-S

Boolit Master
    Next season I’ve got the Mannlicher Schoenauer MC Carbine in 6.5x54 MS to blood as well as a Mannlicher Schoenauer MCA Carbine in 7x57 . I’ve been intrested in Mannlicher Schoenauer Guns for over fifty years and at the moment I’ve got the 1903 a 1908 and six of the MC/MCA carbines . Also have a CZ550 FS in 6.5x55 that I’ve killed deer with .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by 6pt-sika View Post
    Congrats when it comes to deer I’m non denominational !!! I like big tacked bucks but I shoot what I see .
    Yep....pretty much my game plan as well, although the last few years I've tended to let the nice young bucks walk. This one was an exception because I was very anxious to blood the M-S. I'd already decided that a shooter (we shoot does and bucks 6 pts or better on our lease) was gonna be toast if I was carrying it.

I was totally uninterested in M-Ss until shouldering this one, the first one I ever picked up. Just by looking at them, I figured that mid placed bolt handle would be as awkward as all get out. However, it was love at first touch. The full stock didn't hurt matters either. I've had a love affair with them since building one in the mid 80s using a barreled Whitworth 7X57 action and a Fagen 90% stock.

I've been thinning out the safes to concentrate on just the favorites in the few hunting years I have left. The two Brno 22Fs (7 and 8X57) and a twin to your CZ will be used mostly from here on out. That CZ 550FS in 6.5 Swede is easily the most accurate full stocked rifle I've ever owned. Too bad it's so clunky....comparing it to it's grandfathers (the two Brnos) is like comparing a heavy weight boxer to a couple of gymnasts! I just cannot understand why the CZ/Brno rifles morphed from the slick, agile 21s and 22s to the 550. I guess they were going for rugged so you could beat an animal to death if you forgot your ammo….

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    I fell in love with them at first sight as well. Unfortunately none have ever came to call on me yet. Love the full stocks. Would also like a 10-22 in full stock. Someday......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I was fortunate yesterday and found a rather nice early 60’s or earlier Mannlicher Schoenauer MC half stock in 06 . It has double triggers a Jaeger side mount and a nice older Leupold Vari XII 2-7 . The trigger will be switched with my MC carbine in 6.5x54 MS , the mount will be removed and put in my parts box . Finally the Leupold will go on top the 6.5 and the 06 will head down the road . The 6.5x54 MS at the moment has a 70’s Weaver V4.5 on top (1.5-4.5x) that one just might end up on top my Mannlicher Schoenauer model 1908 8x56 MS as I also have a spare new old stock Pachmayer swing over mount for a MS same as what’s on my 1903 in 6.5x54 MS .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fiberoptik View Post
    I fell in love with them at first sight as well. Unfortunately none have ever came to call on me yet. Love the full stocks. Would also like a 10-22 in full stock. Someday......
    I like your idea of a full stock, but would love a take-down 10/22. I wonder what that would look like. Yes, I know that defeats the purpose. I went shopping for a 10/22 (1992?), many years before you could get a take-down, and saw a rifle that intrigued me. It was a browning design take down made overseas. I had read a mini biography of JM Browning, and there was a picture of him afield with one, and it was described as one of his favorite designs. He had designed so many things, mostly for military contracts, and he designed this just for fun/small game/enjoyment, some sort of thing. He died the following year.

After pondering, I think I would stick with your idea, full stock, figured walnut, rich finish. Sometimes they just have to be as pretty as they are functional. I don't need another 22lr but who says need is a consideration in this day in age. As of yesterday, I have 2 new grandsons. Maybe I really do need another . . 2!
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234