RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad Data
WidenersReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Savage customer service sucks!!

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately

Savage customer service sucks!!

Just got off the phone with their service department about a problem regarding a Model 12 308. Got a BIG runaround with the upshot being I need to send the complete rifle back for them to check out.
    This is not the first or even second incident of this nature with Savage customer service. It has kinda soured me on their rifles. It is very frustrating to have spent quite a bit of money and time getting this rifle to perform to my satisfaction and then this problem pops up. Oh well. It's not a safety issue so I guess I'll just live with it until I can find someone who wants it worse than I do.
    Oh yeah, even tried to register on the Savageshooters forum and their stupid "are you a human" thingy won't load. Tried 3 times and said heck with it.
    OK. I'm done venting!!
    Last edited by roysha; 02-16-2019 at 03:33 AM.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Buddy
    Sorry about your experience but I think "send it to us" is policy for all manufacturers, at least it was my experience when dealing with Ruger and S&W. Even with small things (like slide stop broke on my M&P40) which would literally take few minutes at home they want complete firearm back. They cover shipping so the only downside is the wait time.

Boolit Master

many including ruger generally want the entire gun back and wont just send out free parts.

Boolit Master
    I do not blame any mfg for this, especially firearms.

The mfg cannot afford to let an amateur to disassemble or assemble a gun properly so they want to work on the whole thing and verify proper function before shipping it back.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

Just curious what is your problem with the gun?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

^^^^^ x2 ^^^^^

I had an unsatisfying experience with Savage myself. But I'll not hijack your thread. The details are already on the forum elsewhere.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a couple of M700’s with the trigger safety issue. I decided not to return them. Might come back worse than they are now.

Hope your problem is a minor one you can live with. Curious about it though
    Don Verna

I bought a used 110 recently and called savage to get a replacement extractor spring. The guy didn't charge me anything and sent me the whole bolt head rebuild kit. I told him I bought it second hand.

Boolit Master
    What is everybody supposed to get out of this post? No info, just someone who says they don't like Savage, but for no reason? I'm kind of getting tired of reading about every company on the planet doing something wrong on any given day and we're all supposed to quit buying anything from them. At this point there's no one left to buy from. At lease give some kind of reason.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    What is everybody supposed to get out of this post? No info, just someone who says they don't like Savage, but for no reason? I'm kind of getting tired of reading about every company on the planet doing something wrong on any given day and we're all supposed to quit buying anything from them. At this point there's no one left to buy from. At lease give some kind of reason.
    Real simple fix for that DON'T READ THE POST!

In regard to the problem, here is the email I sent to them to which I DID NOT receive a response and that is why I phoned them:

This rifle is a 308 WIN. I purchased it new and it has always had marginal performance in regard to ejection. However it has finally reached the point where it will not eject whatsoever. It just extracts the fired case and drops it into the receiver on top of the next round in the magazine.
    I have installed a new extractor and an 9/64" extractor detent ball.
    The ejector plunger and spring are free and appear to be doing what they are designed to do
    I have tried several different brands of ammo and they all fail to eject.
    It appears that the bolt face is so large that when the case is pulled clear of the chamber by the extractor, as the case mouth clears the chamber and tips to the right in the receiver recess, the left side of the cartridge case rim tips far enough for the rim to clear the bolt face recess and allow the case to become disengaged from the extractor.

Does that at lease(?) give you some kind of reason?
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by roysha View Post

In regard to the problem, here is the email I sent to them to which I DID NOT receive a response and that is why I phoned them:

This rifle is a 308 WIN. I purchased it new and it has always had marginal performance in regard to ejection. However it has finally reached the point where it will not eject whatsoever. It just extracts the fired case and drops it into the receiver on top of the next round in the magazine.
    The ejector plunger and spring are free and appear to be doing what they are designed to do
    It appears that the bolt face is so large that when the case is pulled clear of the chamber by the extractor, as the case mouth clears the chamber and tips to the right in the receiver recess, the left side of the cartridge case rim tips far enough for the rim to clear the bolt face recess and allow the case to become disengaged from the extractor.

If I knew what is was going to be about I wouldn't have read it. I actually gave you more credit for it from the title than it deserved. Better than no reason at all.

Well the ball is in their Court actually. You can either send it back to them for repair, or you can buy a new bolt head from numb rich or someone and fix it yourself. That appears to be the only two choices you have. They might have installed a magnum bolt face on that 308 LOL.

Banned

It is a Savage. They seem to have this issue. Put a longer spring and a larger ball bearing under the extractor usually helps.

Boolit Master

My Bro-in-Law bought a Savage 110 combo from Big 5 sale. He just wanted to burn up all the 7.62Nato brass he collected at the range.

Just a Rifle to shot 100yds from the bench with H4895 reduced J-bullets loads. Rifle would eject the rounds when feeding from the mag. Then would extract, but not eject fired cases.

He had too pay himself to send the rifle back. They took 3 months to "fix" it. It feeds & ejects about 95% of the time. Not a Rifle to hunt with.

I had to send my a Brand New Ruger New Vaquero back to Ruger in 2012. The Cylinder wouldn't turn with starline brass, And yes the Primers were seated below the case head. The dealer said it was Rugers problem. Ruger said send the revolver back, no prepaid shipping tag. I included 10 cases as examples.

UPS charged me $95.00 for Special Handling Next Day Air.

Ruger sent the revolver back. " Revolver within Specs ".
    " Owner Supplied cartridge cases out of spec."

Strange ? Those starline cases fit in my six other Ruger
    NM Blackhawks/ Old Vaquero's/Bisleys in .45 Colt. Plus 2 other .45Colt SAA's , a New Frontier, 3 Uberti SAA clones , a Marlin 1894CB and a Uberti 1866 Clone. Plus a Uberti Remington 1875 clone & Uberti #3 Schofield clone.
    Oh, and a S&W 25-5.

I own way too many guns in .45Colt.

Ruger service sucks. They also want $235 to fit a new .22LR Cylinder to my OM Single-Six.
    And now It's $115 to ship it to Ruger.

I'm not buying anymore Rugers. Too expensive.
    Last edited by Walks; 02-16-2019 at 02:05 AM. Reason: HI-Jacked post
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by roysha View Post

I was kind of disappointed too. 9 posts later you described the issue after someone asked you what it was.
    I make it a point to never call for service if I'm really cranked up over something. Makes it harder to communicate. All of this is moot since you decided to just put the rifle back in the safe.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master

ME TOO! I have a rifle I had to return right out of the box ( A22 Mag). Just eating the brass with every ammo. Sent a note with explanation and got it back in 2 weeks, no indication what they did (nothing) with another magazine. NOT THE PROBLEM! So I polished everything in the receiver best I could and not much better, but some. Pretty much put it away in disgust and got it back out 2 weeks ago to try again with no better result. Sent 3 emails per their website and received not so much as a reply. In the last one I told them I was gonna take a picture with the rifle used as a tomato stake this summer and post it on the several sites on which I participate. Won't change a thing but a new rifle that won't even function reliably as a single shot will remind me if no one else that if you buy junk you own junk, and the present day savage is just that...JUNK...and their customer no-service is even worse. Gonna send them a link to this thread too, right now in fact.

Just did, and here's a copy of the last email I sent them.
    ##- Please type your reply above this line -##
    Your request (#134162) has been received and is being reviewed by our support staff.

To add additional comments, reply to this email or click the link below:
    https://savagearms.zendesk.com/hc/requests/134162

Halrowland
    Feb 4, 2:54 PM EST

I bought this gun new in June 2016, excited about a semi-auto in caliber that I love and have shot for 50 years. Gun would not cycle reliably with ANY ammo including the recommended A22 rounds. YES, I cleaned first as recommended. Sent back to you with the receiver full of the brass shavings for repair and explanation of what was happening. Got it back with NO explanation of the problem, just an additional magazine. If this was supposed to be the problem you were wrong! Put it away, thoroughly disgusted and brought it out again recently as I found a Butler Creek "Savage supported" 25 rd. magazine in hopes it would feed and cycle. Wrong again! This rifle does NOT function as a semi-auto! Occasionally I am able to fire 3 - 4 rounds consecutively without a failure to fire. I sent 2 emails in 2 weeks about this and never even received a reply, so my expectations are really nil, but on the outside chance I get a response I'm making the effort once more. Is there anyone at Savage that actually cares? Will someone take responsibility for this firearm failure and get a gun in my hands that actually functions. If so you have my thanks. If not I have a presence on several well known gun forums and will tell this sad story with pics of my expensive Savage tomato stake this spring. I really don't know what else to do this Monday, February 4, 2019.
    Sincerely,
    Hal Rowland, lifelong shooter, hunter and gun owner

Attachment(s)
    image.jpg
    This email is a service from Savage Arms, Inc. Savage Arms.
    [ER9ZO5-OE85]
    Last edited by Hogtamer; 02-16-2019 at 11:52 AM.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master
    Well, if I had wanted advice on how to repair this problem I would have posted in the GUNSMITH forum, therefore I felt no need to describe the problem here.

For those of you who can't read or understand what you read, I posted my DISSATISFACTION with Savage customer support. What the problem is, in the context of my OP has NOTHING to do with it.

This problem is, apparently, rather common and the shorter the cartridge case, the more likely it is to happen. Had they said something along the lines of, "yes, we know some guns have experienced this problem and the only way to repair it is to return it for safety reasons" I would have figured that at least they acknowledged the issue and probably have a fix in place which would require factory tooling and/or fixtures to facilitate the repair. Understandable.

As far as parts, virtually any part can be purchased anywhere, so it would seem that it doesn't really take a brain surgeon to replace them. However, all she could tell me was I needed a new ejector and spring. Well folks, I've been in the gun business over 55 years and I have a sneaking suspicion when the ejector is not functioning.

Oh, by the way to the individual that is tired of "reading about every company on the planet doing something wrong on any given day and we're all supposed to quit buying anything from them", specifically where in my post did I mention that or even allude to it?

It's kinda sad to hear about your Problem I have a 110 in 7 mm rem mag and it shoots great but I got it in 1985. I have to admit that a friend of mine got one of the newer ones in 270 3 years ago for his grandsons first big game rifle and it shot minuet of scope. Meaning he could not move the scope enough to get it on paper with every shot. Went thru the same send it back fiasco and was told it was the Simmons scope. Finally Cabelas (before BP) refunded the money on the rifle and sold him a Ruger 77 for a discounted price for his trouble. They told him they would fight with Savage. He centered the scope, put it on the Ruger and got it sighted it in with a little more work. I've always been a Savage fan because of my gun but would not buy a newer one after all of the trouble I read about. I hope it turns out well for you.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

With your winning attitude I'm sure everything will turn out fine. I hope you didn't talk to your customers like you talk to people trying to help here in your 50 something years in the gun business.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    With your winning attitude I'm sure everything will turn out fine. I hope you didn't talk to your customers like you talk to people trying to help here in your 50 something years in the gun business.

I'm truly sorry you are offended since I enjoy your posts. Your sarcasm is duly noted.

Indeed I did talk to customers, or anyone else for that matter, at whatever level they chose. Intelligent, courteous, polite conversation was responded to in like manner. Smart aleck, know it all, rude, ridiculous discourse was met with shortness on my part. Life is too short to put up with very many stories about their 1000 yard shots hitting a deer by holding 6" high with their 30-30.

Overall I admit to being a jerk most of my life, not proud of it but there isn't much I'm going to do about it now.

For my part this thread is done. You folks can carry on as you wish. I've had my say.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast