Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: Heavy wadcutter rounds for 45-70

Boolit Mold

Heavy wadcutter rounds for 45-70

Last hunting season I had the opportunity to shoot my friends Ruger No.1 chambered in 45-70. The rounds were loaded with these very heavy almost cylindrical bullets that looked strikingly similar to AccurateMold's 45-330g. These things devastated deer at the ranges we were shooting them from which was about a hundred yards and are in my opinion very well suited to the heavily forested area that I live in. The problem is that my friend picked up the bullets at gunshow and has no clue about the mold. I did talk to Tom about the 45-330g mold but he was fairly that it would have feeding issues in my firearm of choice, a new production Winchester 1886. He convinced me to get the 46-340V and I'll see how it works but it's a little light at 340 grains and the meplat is a little small. Ideally I'd like at least a 400 or 450 grain projectile of hard lead.

I'm sadly pretty ignorant on just how round the nose of a bullet needs to be to properly feed in a 1886 of if what I want will be greater than the OAL that will feed into my rifle. Do you guys have any ideas or suggestions?

Boolit Master
    I've owned or own at least seven different 45-70 rifles in Sharps, High Walls (my current favorite), 1886, and an Encore. ANY bullet out of a 45-70 is devastating on a deer. I have yet to recover a bullet from any deer shot within a hundred yards and at any angle. I probably will at some point, but so far at least a dozen have been all pass throughs. Shoot any bullet that shoots well out of your gun. Note: One of my guns, a Win/Miroku, like all Win/Miroku guns has a very short/non-existent throat that would not allow using blunt ogive bullets to chamber. Even the factory Rem 405 JSP would not chamber. I had to have it reamed (Turnbull.....they're pretty close) and after adding .250" more throat it feeds everything. A cheap repair, and the gun shoots lights out at 100 yards.

Boolit Buddy

If you like the the design of the 46-340v, he also makes a 350, and a 405grain version