Reloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Winchester 350 Legend

Boolit Master

I think you’ve got it a little backwards the 350 is “fatter” at the base and the 223.
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by P Flados View Post
    In a similar gun with the same barrel length, the 350L should do slightly better than the 357 Max. The 350L case does have more just a little more capacity and the 350L allowed pressure is not less than most consider appropriate for the 357 Max.

There is a real advantage for the max in single shots and revolvers where the rim helps. For a platform where rimless works better, either the 357AR or the 350L are better choices.
    I should have clarified yes hand loaders heavy cast boolits. I believe most will opt for Encore or reamed out Henry Single shots, bolt action or as you said revolvers like the BFR etc. But like I said I like them all. as far weather they will take deer with a 150 grain bullet depends on the projectile. Many a deer have been taken cleanly with a 220:Swift and a 55 grain X-Bullet. But shot placement is the key to any successful harvest of game.

Boolit Master
    I totally agree about the projectile.

For the factory deer load, there are some worries about less than desired penetration. Other than this concern, the pointy plastic tip ammo has a good BC and good velocities at all reasonable ranges.

I am betting it will work fine, but only time will tell.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Blammer View Post
    somebody is going to make a brass swage die so you can swage 223 into the 350 legend... any takers?
    The necking up is pretty simple. One or two annealing steps will reduce splitting and improve case life.

Expanding the body to just in front of the web is a little more tricky, but not a big deal. I know because I have been converting 223 to 357AR including steps to mechanically expand the body to just forward of the web.

I do not have a 350L sizer die, so I can only estimate the resultant length of a converted case. I am thinking a fully converted 223 will come up 0.020" short of the Spec minimum. Not good for a round that headspaces on the mouth.

Stretching brass is not impossible but is more involved.

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    The negativity is amusing . I ordered a CMMG barrel from Brownells, and a couple boxes of factory ammo. I am going to sell my 357 AR MDWS barrel and the 144 Starline 223 basic cases that I have not used yet.

Bottom line buying brass is a lot simpler than screwing around making brass.

The Starline brass is $.36 per case then some work to end up with 357 AR
    The WW factory ammo is $.44 ($.50 shipped)a round for FMJ, fire it and you have once fired brass, and you got to shoot it too .

I'm sure a cast and PC bullet of some dia between .357 and .355 will work fine.

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Master

Thats my thinkin too Bill. (Maybe I mentioned on MSR)

I was shootin my ruger yesterday. Its shootin better and better just like my other Rugers! I haven't put paper out past 100 but up too I can hit 1.25 pasters any time I try and targets of opportunity out to 250 have seen more impacts than misses. Thats just factory!!

I have loaded one box of cast 170g Keith with 1680. It shot about 2” @ 50 so not a Great load. I loaded a box with a 158 xtp and it shot about same as the FMJ Maybe a lil better.

Boolit Master

These bullets here may work well even though a bit on the light side.

https://www.hornady.com/bullets/hand...-box-of-500#!/

Looking at 9mm bullets which have drawn jackets vs plated.
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Master
    The velocities and penetration keep going up and up, other than the AR crowd I don't see this round working out, there are many better .358 rounds like the .35Rem., my fav. the .356 Win., here on the prairie we don't have such "straight case" limitations and if we did, most would use the .444 or the 45/70.

Boolit Master

We can use the 444 or the 45/70...but we like options . I’m sure it will sell like hot cakes in the states where it fills a legality niche. And I bet they sell a lot in other states too. The 265 grain subsonic will appeal to folks who already own a 9mm muzzle can too.
    Both ends WHAT a player

They should have used a 6.8 SPC case necked up to 10 mm.
    They could have called it the 400 Legend

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

They may yet .

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by texas by god View Post
    they should have used a 6.8 spc case necked up to 10 mm.
    They could have called it the 400 legend

sent from my samsung-sm-g930a using tapatalk

now your talkin!!!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    The velocities and penetration keep going up and up, other than the AR crowd I don't see this round working out, there are many better .358 rounds like the .35Rem., my fav. the .356 Win., here on the prairie we don't have such "straight case" limitations and if we did, most would use the .444 or the 45/70.
    I can see it appealing to smaller hunters who want less recoil and must use a straight walled cases. Let’s face it, most hunters are not reloaders and only a tiny fraction cast.

It holds no attraction for me. If I wanted a .35 caliber hunting gun, I would look for a .358 Win., or buy a Savage in .308 and have it converted. Thought about having one of my .30/30’s rebored to .35/30 by JES but never could justify it.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

If I was going to use a bottle necked case it would be a 358 Yeti which fits in AR15 platform too. 180 grain bullets at 2600fps from 16" barrel, 200 grain bullets 2500fps again from a 16" barrel.

Not limited to flat point bullets either.

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Master

CMMG barrel and WW ammo arrived today. Looded ammo drops right into chamber, plunk.

Used gage pins, gently ....to measure chamber. Seems like it has a .358" throat.

Case mouth at front of chamber is .380", chamber dia at rear end is .391

Loaded round measures .3775" over bullet. .357" bullets might indeed be a tight fit.

.098" gas port.

CMMG barrel, 1/16 twist.

Bore and groove might be a touch on the rough side but I am spoiled by Shilen, Hart, and PacNor barrels.

Will assemble tomorrow.

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Master

Fired 20 rounds, a 3 shot group to check zero, three 5 shot groups, and the last 2 rounds. Function was 100% with a modified 10 round PMAG. 5 shot groups were around 3" at 75 yards. Another gift from Winchester is lightly crimped in primers. I did try a partial resize and expand with M die, but the Fury 180 is really too long for this round so I just fired the 1 round I was working on.
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Master

So far I have fired 158xtp, 170 Keith sized 358 and a 190 wfn sized 358 and Lee358-158 sized 358.

Accuracy needs to be determined as I haven’t fired enough yet. The xtps had 6-7 rounds and went into a fat 1” 50 yard group.

I went and ordered LEE dies. I was excited to see just a seater offered. But no... its “coming soon”...

CW

Banned

so 358 bullet dia.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Blammer View Post
    so 358 bullet dia.
    I have not seated any .358 into cases yet. We shall see .

The Hornady 044130 looks like it might work for bullet seating...it is listed as working for 35 remington.

Hornady 397116 is the FTX specific seating stem for that die.
    Last edited by Willbird; 05-30-2019 at 11:38 PM.
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Master

Did seat and fire some .357 today, they fit the chamber about like they would if they were size for size with no neck clearance.

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast