Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Repackbox
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Winchester 350 Legend

Boolit Grand Master
    Winchester could screw up the Lord's prayer.

What kind of genie-*** would not use the .223 as a parent case and .358 bore?
    Don Verna

Banned

Good question

It was by counties. Here in DMU 7M Chenango County was rifle while Madison County was still shotgun for a few years at the beginning. I worked for the NYSDEC for 32 years. Yes, it did take a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by SvenLindquist View Post
    Actually, NY changed by DMU, not county AND it took years to evolve to allowing rifles into the DMUs outside of the Adirondacks.

Already several companies are chambering for the 350 Legend ---- far more than for the 35 Remington. I'm just waiting for some VDL bullets for subsonic use. Then I'll be buying a bbl for one of my ARs.
    Last edited by Shawlerbrook; 03-07-2019 at 03:56 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Meh- When is this country going to throw out court cases brought by idiots. Not seeing how one could possibly chamber a 357-223, in a smaller caliber, even in a blackout.

Maybe someone should bring out some rifles and ammo in a rimless 375 Supermag. Probably even more oomph than a 357 bullet and there are already bullets from the old 375 win. out there that should work.

Boolit Master
    I suspect Winchester wanted the tapered chamber for the "hull chuckers", that will make up the bulk of their potential market. That pressure could make extraction interesting in gas guns. Just guessing, you know.
    The blackout is much more concern fitting in a 223 chamber, ain't no way a 35 cal on a full length 223 case gonna chamber!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Banned
    Any arrests yet ? I don't want to miss that.

Quote Originally Posted by SvenLindquist View Post
    Any arrests yet ? I don't want to miss that.
    Are you still whining about that? How do you like your .350 Legend so far? Surely you have several by now. You'll have to wait till hunting season for the answer to your latest troll question with all due respect.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Banned
    "Whining" ? No I'm laughing that anyone would actually believe that a major state G&F department would do anything to endanger its income by arresting hunters for a .355 bore diameter. ALL the rust belt states need every dime they can get to support the vast underclass and unfunded state pensions. Wonder why none of the alarmists have contacted the "straight case" G&F departments for an answer ? Oh yeah, no more fodder to raise their post counts. (chuckle)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkfMrXCfIIg

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Are you still whining about that? How do you like your .350 Legend so far? Surely you have several by now. You'll have to wait till hunting season for the answer to your latest troll question with all due respect.

Don't sweat it, man. *******s like this guy come and go, won't be long before he gets himself banned.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Don't sweat it, man. *******s like this guy come and go, won't be long before he gets himself banned.
    So it would seem. We have been graced with this know-it-all for three weeks.

Boolit Master
    I see there is a “review” of this round on all outdoor. Says 11.? Inches of penatration at 200 yards, like that’s good. Really would like to see someone on here post actual first hand results. The add hype is nonesense marketing stuff.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Grand Master
    Sven,

You have been here for a month and have 187 posts to date. If you last as long as richhodg66, you will have about 20,000 unless you spend more time reading and thinking. IMHO you will get more out of this site by changing your approach. But the choice is yours.

BTW, I am not defending richhodg66. I do not know him and he needs no support from me. Just addressing your comment on his post count. I thought it would be useful to put it in perspective. Self awareness is a good thing before making judgements on others.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post
    I see there is a “review” of this round on all outdoor. Says 11.? Inches of penatration at 200 yards, like that’s good. Really would like to see someone on here post actual first hand results. The add hype is nonesense marketing stuff.
    A cursory look at the ballistics shows it about the same as the old .35 Remington (factory loadings which IIRC are limited to 35k PSI). So will perform the same as a .35 Remington with the same bullets. Penetration will be affected by bullet design and weight.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post
    I saw that too. My older buddy plans on getting one and says 150 grain bullets kill deer fine in his 308. I tried to explain sectional density and how that is half the penetration of 380 ball, how 9mm and 45 hollow points from 3" pocket pistol barrels penetrate 1.5x deeper and how the 30-30 goes 2x deeper. Didn't phase him. Winchester is misleading people and they will all be haters after opening day and this cartridge just might die off this year.

I explained how I shot 3 deer with 140 gr Ranch Dogs in the 357 at 2100 fps. 2-2-96 alloy mushroomed out to 66 cal and stopped in the 3rd milk jug w 100% weight retention. 3 jugs is roughly 12" gel penetration. This alloy made a fist sized hole in the first lung, dime sized in the second lung, and didn't even crack a rib on the far side. Deer ran over 200 yards.

Same load with 1-4-95 alloy sloughs the nose after 50 cal expansion, and retains 90% weight and penetrates 5 milk jugs. This is roughly 20" gel penetration. Coincidentally, my 30-30 Core Lokts penetrate the same. What does that tell you? Probably a pretty good penetration depth to have for deer since we all know how that works as a "calibration" The two deer hit went less than 50 yards with complete penetration and silver dollar sized hole through both lungs and both sides of hide.

If I, some hobby bullet caster, can tweak penetration of a bullet from 12" gel all the way up to 20", what the hell is Winchester doing selling an 11.7" penetration bullet and calling it a deer bullet? 9mm HOLLOW POINTS penetrate 14-16"

I told my buddy that he should only get the 180 grain load if he buys ammo but I haven't convinced him yet. He is gonna be really disappointed when he shoots deer and they all run a half mile with little blood trail from a soft, high speed, low SD bullet.
    Last edited by mnewcomb59; 03-09-2019 at 11:30 AM.

I didn't see it at the gun show in Ft Worth today- too new perhaps.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mnewcomb59 View Post
    I saw that too. My older buddy plans on getting one and says 150 grain bullets kill deer fine in his 308. I tried to explain sectional density and how that is half the penetration of 380 ball, how 9mm and 45 hollow points from 3" pocket pistol barrels penetrate 1.5x deeper and how the 30-30 goes 2x deeper. Didn't phase him. Winchester is misleading people and they will all be haters after opening day and this cartridge just might die off this year.

I explained how I shot 3 deer with 140 gr Ranch Dogs in the 357 at 2100 fps. 2-2-96 alloy mushroomed out to 66 cal and stopped in the 3rd milk jug w 100% weight retention. 3 jugs is roughly 12" gel penetration. This alloy made a fist sized hole in the first lung, dime sized in the second lung, and didn't even crack a rib on the far side. Deer ran over 200 yards.

Same load with 1-4-95 alloy sloughs the nose after 50 cal expansion, and retains 90% weight and penetrates 5 milk jugs. This is roughly 20" gel penetration. Coincidentally, my 30-30 Core Lokts penetrate the same. What does that tell you? Probably a pretty good penetration depth to have for deer since we all know how that works as a "calibration" The two deer hit went less than 50 yards with complete penetration and silver dollar sized hole through both lungs and both sides of hide.

If I, some hobby bullet caster, can tweak penetration of a bullet from 12" gel all the way up to 20", what the hell is Winchester doing selling an 11.7" penetration bullet and calling it a deer bullet? 9mm HOLLOW POINTS penetrate 14-16"

I told my buddy that he should only get the 180 grain load if he buys ammo but I haven't convinced him yet. He is gonna be really disappointed when he shoots deer and they all run a half mile with little blood trail from a soft, high speed, low SD bullet.

i haven't done a penetration test but a 10 lbs coww and a 1/4 lb of tin does penetrate deer. i can use my 30-40 krag(165gr ranch dog/1900fps) and 444 marlin(275gr - 300gr/1800fps - 1600fps) with that alloy. my furthest shot was around 190-200 yards(30-40 krag) but it usually goes 50 yards and less. i shot a 6pt and 2 does(444 marlin/300gr fn gc with 2400), under 50 yards and they were thru-n-thru. the deer(s) only went about 20-25 yards after the shot. i shot all three behind the shoulder and it did not touch the shoulder on the other side, but it did touch ribs!!! i'm guessing that the exit wound was around 1 1/2 - 1 3/4", the entrance wound was about 1/2"+/-.

i hope your buddy doesn't have to chase deer. but hoping doesn't change anything.

Boolit Master
    Most experienced boolit hunters think in terms of through & through with with exit holes at least 3x boolit size.

Planning for a short run after the hit is also just part of this game.

If people use a good alloy boolit, this gun should work fine.

On the other hand, most use of this gun for now will be with factory ammo.

J Word hunters tend to want higher impact velocities with significant bullet expansion to improve chances for DRT or really short runs.

In recent years, J Word terminal performance has improved with better chances for desired expansion while improving weight retention for assured penetration.

The 35 Remington got its reputation in the days before these improved J Words were common. It was considered a good reliable gun at to around 150 yards. This is fine for most hunting in the eastern half of the US.

If Winchester is making really good hunting bullets that are properly tuned to the 350L, the new gun will easily extend the effective range as far as terminal performance. Is there any reason to think that the new ammo will not have better bullets than the ammo that was sold for the 35 Remington?

Now the gun will not be "flat shooting" and it will have issues with wind drift. However, the guys in the straight wall states have nothing that is "flatter" or less subject to wind drift.

I really do not understand why anyone thinks the gun will not be good enough for straight wall states or for hunters that never plan for greater than 100 yard shots. For those that are saying it will not be effective for it intended use, can you provide a reason for your claim.

Yes, there are many bottleneck rounds that are much better when you expect shots at more than 100 yards. Nobody expects this gun to be a big seller where hunters can use a bottleneck rounds and longer shots are common. Lets not even make a comparison between these cases.
    Last edited by P Flados; 03-09-2019 at 07:05 PM.

Runoffs can be reduced by aiming for the front shoulder joint instead of the classic behind the shoulder shot. Hard to run far with a busted front axle IME.

Banned

?????????

Banned

Nobody said it wouldn't kill a deer.

Nobody said Winchester is lying, people rightfully state that they are hyping something that is no better for the stated purpose than things that already exist.

You really are a jerk. Why don't you find another place to troll?

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast