Inline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Winchester 350 Legend

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    Only comment I have s that's funny. Also, I really like the 5th Dimension, thanks for posting.

This silly cartridge is an answer looking for a question, it'll be an orphan before you know it, just like the WSM series of cartridges.

When I see this cartridge I can't help but think of moleman and all work that he did on the Max Rimless. Didn't Moleman break the trail on this idea and did all work to get it to the point of short run production. Even has put deer on ground to boot. The poor guy should at least get rifle and case of shells LOL.

Maybe the only thing Legendary about the 350 is a companies ability to pick low hanging fruit and change it just enough so the inventor gets left out of the picture.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Master

Moleman and his 357ar , was and is a great version , use 223 brass , sweet , why have a 355 bore ? that there is a little clueless . So it has the mighty winchester name so what. I liked the comment about the two having a child and maybe the it has to be store bought types will love it , but I do not need a straight wall case to hunt here and I like the 300 blackout , have the 450 bushmaster and the 458 socom , so I would opt for molemans version , easy choice .

Banned

lack of brass will be the death of this round.

get your collector guns now!

Boolit Buddy
    I really hope the 350 legend takes off...a 147 grn bullet going 2500 sounds familiar.... but it’s better in a 35 cal..

Banned
    Actually, NY changed by DMU, not county AND it took years to evolve to allowing rifles into the DMUs outside of the Adirondacks.

Already several companies are chambering for the 350 Legend ---- far more than for the 35 Remington. I'm just waiting for some VDL bullets for subsonic use. Then I'll be buying a bbl for one of my ARs.

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Fortunately, we don't have crazy laws about what's legal to hunt with here. All I hunt deer with is cast for the past ten years or so and it doesn't take a .35 or bigger to do it cleanly, 7mm and up have worked just fine for me.

I predict, despite the hype, will be a dead orphan in a few years.
    I think you are right as it is nothing but a .351 Self Loading cartridge without the benefit of being semi-rimmed to maintain head space. The .351 was obsolete by the end of WWll.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master
    I don't understand all the negative comments. It's a great cast bullet cartridge and it's going to be chambered in many bolt guns. If you don't like it don't buy it. Start a new thread for all the whining..........

Boolit Master

I always liked the .351 SLR. Most of us old enough to remember the 5th Dimension Have seen many of these 350 legend type pan flashes. What harm is there in keeping an open mind and watch how far this goes. The 5th Dimension didn't last that long but Mairlyn McCoo was really something special!

Boolit Grand Master

Good afternoon
    It's all about making the new wiz-bang cartridge and getting sales. I like that. Some of the new stuff is actually serviceable.
    Personally I will wait for a 40 something. A 401 Winchester was never noted as being a minimal deer cartridge under 100 yards. Yes we have one of those beast heavy Model 1910 Winchesters. With a 250 grain cast GC slug I would take on any East ILLinois corn cruncher.
    But alas those individuals that call the shots have not yet called a centerfire rifle "legal".
    But I cannot gripe. I hunt river bottoms and a bow and arrow still get what I need done.

Mike in Peru
    Last edited by missionary5155; 03-06-2019 at 05:00 PM.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Grand Master

Even though I don't own one I have always though .357 Max. in a rifle would be a nice cartridge ~ big enough but not too big! It'll get most jobs done and isn't too hard on powder, lead or shoulder plus there are a zillion... okay, a zillion and a half boolit moulds for .357" groove.

The thought of a rimless .357 Max. also appeals to me since brass is made from cheap and readily available and not going anywhere soon .223/5.56 brass and would suit a bolt gun nicely. Cheap, easy to get and versatile are always good things in my opinion.

Why Winchester decided to make the 350 Legend a little (just a bit) larger in the body is anyone's guess. Brass sales? If brass can be made from .223/5.56 even if it bulges a bit then that's fine by me but if that is a no go then I would stick with a .357 Max. rimless... if I ever build a gun.

Not sure what the negativity is all about either. It isn't revolutionary by any means but it appears to me to be a nice little cartridge for cast boolits. As for not being "enough", it is certainly more than .357 mag. which seems to make a lot of people happy.

300 BO makes a lot of people happy too but it doesn't do anything for me. I like bigger bore and .357" is about the minimum

Me, I like straight walled cartridges. I don't really know why but I do. I'd like a 444 Rimless too... go figure!

Different strokes!

Longbow

Boolit Master
    Longbow,

If you want a bolt gun to shoot 0.357" boolits with converted 223 brass, the MDWS guys can probably make you a barrel in short order using the 357AR reamer.

You will be able to choose case length.

In my mind, the "Rimless max" sticks with the Max length, 1.60".

Depending on maximum OAL for your magazine, longer could be better. A 1.69" or so chamber would give a little more powder capacity and would mean less trimming needed after 223 conversions.

If you want a little more performance, you could go for 1.79" but you would have to use Starline 223 basic brass.

For anyone that wants a least effort solution, the "Mini Mole" just cuts off the 223 just before the shoulder and gives you case closer to a Rimless 360 Dan Wesson.

I have a more typical AR-15 based 357AR built with a MDWS barrel with PSA parts. If I did not have this gun and wanted to build a bolt action, the 1.69" long case would be real tempting.

Second choice might be to get a gun than can handle a 2.5" or so OAL, but drop down to the Mini Mole case length and see what kind of performance is available with a long throat. Starting short would allow for a real simple chamber re-cut to get better performance if not satisfied at first.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    I think you are right as it is nothing but a .351 Self Loading cartridge without the benefit of being semi-rimmed to maintain head space. The .351 was obsolete by the end of WWll.
    May be "obsolete, doesn't change the fact that it is still quite effective for what it was designed to do; http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...317823-351-wsl
    Both of those does dropped where they stood. I like the 1907 for the cool factor and because I'm a gun nut, had I been practical about it, I have much better things to hunt deer with.

I don't deny that this newfangled thing will do fine on deer at woods ranges, just think there are things that will do it a lot better that are already long and established. The ONLY thing this proves useful for is the places where a guy has to follow a stupid law, and even for them, seems there are better alternatives already established.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GARD72977 View Post
    I don't understand all the negative comments. It's a great cast bullet cartridge and it's going to be chambered in many bolt guns. If you don't like it don't buy it. Start a new thread for all the whining..........
    Yep, the whining confounds me as the lil' whiners aren't going to be buying a rifle chambered for this round anyway..
    Yet they persist..
    It gets tiresome..
    Last edited by Nrut; 03-07-2019 at 07:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GARD72977 View Post
    I have hand loaded a few of these. The bullets we're .355
    What did the water capacity turn out to be? It seems like from the load data released by Win that there would still be some gains for a hand loader.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nrut View Post
    Yep, the whining confounds me as the lil' whiners aren't going to be buying a rifle chambered for this round anyway..
    Yet they persist..
    It gets tiresome..
    So nobody should have or voice a different opinion from yours? Last I checked, this is a discussion forum.

Banned
    Nrut: Whining is part of all internet blogs. Those who can't have whine. Those who don't know whine. Those who can't afford whine. Those who are jealous whine. Those who think they are experts whine. Those who have OCD issues whine. Those who believe having a high post count makes them superior whine.

Being a "keyboard warrior" is a full time job, so cut them a break.

You'll notice that:
    1. None of them have broken down a cartridge and measured the bullet as would sink the .355 narrative.
    2. None of them have called any state to find out the truth as then they would have to put a sock in it.

This thread will not die until the hunting season starts, there are lots of 350 Legends afield and nobody get arrested.

We can hope for 50 pages, can't we ?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    So nobody should have or voice a different opinion from yours? Last I checked, this is a discussion forum.
    The discussion has been interesting. I am not seeing the whining. Lot of interesting fact. But, it was nice of the member who has been here three weeks to set us all straight.

Does anyone know what it has for a barrel extension? Will it be able to feed wfn or lfn boolits?
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    The discussion has been interesting. I am not seeing the whining. Lot of interesting fact. But, it was nice of the member who has been here three weeks to set us all straight.

Spot on...

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast