MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyRepackboxLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Winchester 350 Legend

Banned
    You know, sports' fans, this thread has been pirated by some who have no interest in the truth ---- rather they just wish to pursue a silly narrative about bullets that do not exist and a state regulation that will never be applied.

Dollar to a dime, the woods of Ohio will be filled with 350 Legends this fall and nobody will be cited.

If any of you trolls have any money to lose, bets are being taken.

PM me with all your information including photo ID to place bet. I'm done with this thread.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    Yes, I know in a single shot a rimmed .357 Max. works fine but brass is not readily available.

I do have to wonder if a guy could use blown out and formed 5.56 brass in a .357 Max. chamber? Might take an extractor mod but as long as the brass is the right length to headspace on the case mouth why wouldn't it work?

Easier to feed rimless in a bolt gun though.

For those that have worked with fireforming is 0.012" too much to fireform 5.56 brass in a 350 Legend chamber?
    Longbow
    357Max brass was hard to find for a while, but will probably never be hard to find again. Starline carries it now.

I have several 357 Max guns and one 357AR (Max Rimelss).

A Max chamber is tapered just in front of where max brass stops to avoid shaving 38 bullets. Years ago (before starline sold Max brass) I fired some converted 223 in a Max chamber TC with a 222 extractor. Ignition was not reliable.

If your gun choice does better with a rim, any interested reloader should just go with a Maximum chamber and maximum brass. Care & feeding is just so much easier and better.

Fireformed 223 will work fine as far as diameters. It will have a visible bulge but it will be no worse than many guns that bulge the brass due to loose chambers. A fraction of Fireformed brass may however end up too short.

Quote Originally Posted by SvenLindquist View Post
    You know, sports' fans, this thread has been pirated by some who have no interest in the truth ---- rather they just wish to pursue a silly narrative about bullets that do not exist and a state regulation that will never be applied.

Dollar to a dime, the woods of Ohio will be filled with 350 Legends this fall and nobody will be cited.

If any of you trolls have any money to lose, bets are being taken.

PM me with all your information including photo ID to place bet. I'm done with this thread.
    My guess is you are close to done with this site.

BB

My apologies to the OP and this site.

BB

Boolit Master

I totally agree.

I did note that CMMG is currently selling both uppers and guns. However, their prices are steep. Even though they are steep, the fastest and lowest cost option for now is probably their upper and a mag and a PSA (or equivalent) everything else. A more interesting wager may be something along the lines of will there be more Winchester 350L bolt guns or AR-15 based 350Ls hunting in the fall.

On the other hand, the discussions of the 350L ammo being only 0.355" where the law says 0.357" will not go away quickly if true.

Update: Looking for slow twist 9mm AR barrels, I stumbled on available 1:16 twist 350L AR-15 barrels for $280 at x-caliber.net.
    Last edited by P Flados; 03-04-2019 at 11:51 PM.

Boolit Master
    I suspect a letter to Ohio DNR would clear that up quite easily. "Does the new Winchester 35 Legend meet the cartridge requirement for our state?" Simple yes or no, and I'm betting on a yes as well. Glad I don't have to worry about that nonsense!!!!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post
    I suspect a letter to Ohio DNR would clear that up quite easily. "Does the new Winchester 35 Legend meet the cartridge requirement for our state?" Simple yes or no, and I'm betting on a yes as well. Glad I don't have to worry about that nonsense!!!!
    Why do the people of Ohio (or any other state) put up with that nonsense?
    USMC 6638

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbeans View Post
    My guess is you are close to done with this site.

BB
    So it would seem

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by oldblinddog View Post
    Why do the people of Ohio (or any other state) put up with that nonsense?
    It's appears to be more of a process of evolution. Ohio has always been a shotgun state, and since their limitations are set by bureaucrats by the ODNR who "may" be very knowledgeable about rifles but want to err to the side of caution. The laws have been becoming less restrictive as time passes and data is acquired. Slow progress is infinitely preferable to rushing in and saying "Go ahead and use what ever you please" If you over reach, how do you put the genie back into the bottle? There are a few places in Ohio you could use a high powered round but not as many as you might think and these would be down around the Ohio river. Where I live, you can't go a mile in any direction and not bisect a road or have a visual on a house or outbuilding. Most of the hunters that I'm acquainted with are just happy to have a rifle alternative. Four years ago, I was the only one that I knew that used a rifle and was scoffed at by by hunting friends. Last year, you would of had to put a bounty on a shotgun to find one. Sorry for the thread drift.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Banned
    NY went thru the same evolution and many areas that did not allow rifles now do. Evolution was from smooth bore shotguns>rifled shotguns>handguns>rifles. Some cynics have suggested that the change was made just to get more money for the "General Fund". The GF is used to keep those on the dole voting Democrat, not to enhance hunting and fishing.

BTW, I just heard on ESPN that Ohio is equipping all game wardens with pin gauges to measure rifle bores.

Boolit Grand Master
    But can they teach them how to properly use them!!!

Banned
    Doesn't matter. Once they see "350" on the barrel, the cuffs will go on.

Boolit Master

Give the game warden's a bit of slack. I know several and they certainly aren't idiots. They receive training in what and what isn't legal. The law clearly states that the acceptable calibers are .357 to 50 caliber, straight walled case. Pretty cut and dried. If the .350 doesn't meet those parameters, it's still your responsibility to follow the laws and leave it at home until the current laws are modified yet again. I don't even think next years proposed Ohio hunting regulations have been decided on in it's final form. I'm happy to live in a state with a six deer limit even if they would make me harvest them with a cane pole.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Banned
    this is from D&T Gunworks(David White).....

My sincerest apologies for the deletion of all the posts that were already here...

Reason being is that I just spent a couple of hours on the phone with guys from Winchester, and with all of the new things that I have learned today, misinformation was given, and some to the point that is would open up liabilities that I would not want to be responsible for...

So, with information that is now fact, and straight from the company who designed and developed the new 350 Legend cartridge, let's try this again...

Key Features of the 350 Legend Cartridge, as listed by Winchester -

More ENERGY than 30-30 Win, 300 Blackout and 223 Remington...

World’s fastest straight-walled cartridge...

Approximately 20% LESS RECOIL than the 243 Winchester...

20% more PENETRATION...

LESS RECOIL than the 450 Bushmaster...

Effective deer hunting ranges up to 250 yards, plus it delivers more energy than the 5.56mm, 300 Blackout or 30-30 Winchester...

This is a new case design and is NOT made from straight walled 223 Remington brass...

Compliant in states that allow straight wall cartridges for deer hunting...

2019 - 350 Legend Ammunition Offerings From Winchester:

350 Deer Season XP® 150 grain Extreme Point / 2,325 fps...

350 Super X® 180 grain Power-Point / 2,100 fps...

350 Hog Special 180 grain Power-Point / 2,100 fps...

350 USA White Box 145 grain FMJ Flat Nose / 2,350 fps...

350 Power Max Bonded® 160 grain Bonded JHP / 2,225 fps...

350 Super Suppressed™ 265 grain Open Tip / 1,060 fps...

The 350 Legend is rated at a s.a.a.m.i. maximum average pressure of 55,000 psi...

BORE/GROOVE is .346/.355........... Now knowing this information, I would NOT use .358 diameter bullets in a factory chambered rifle! Reason being is that the factory chamber is cut with a .357 diameter throat, then it tapers down to .355 (which is 9mm)...

Factory barrel's are 9mm and are NOT .357 or .358, but with the throating that Winchester is using, and using bullets of softer construction, those bullets can and do squeeze down in diameter to pass through the bore without issue!

New rifles or barrels offered through me, will have the correct 9mm bore and groove diameter and will be throated specifically for. 357 diameter bullets...

I should be able to tweak a few dimensions on the reamer to make it BETTER, since it is now s.a.a.m.i. spec'd reamer and the final dimensions have already been made...

Again, my apologies for the deletion of the other posts. Any questions, I will take them straight to the source and make sure that any and all answers are correct before posting..."

Funny that the old Remington .35 Rem 150 gr CoreLokt load - that was almost universally derided as a sorry choice for deer- has been brought back! There is so much hot air surrounding this cartridge it could fuel a balloon festival. 20% more penetration than what? Recoil like a 22-250? Which by the way has more energy than a 45-70! Assuming like bullet construction and 2300 fps a 150 gr 30-30 bullet will out penetrate a 150 gr .350 Legend bullet because of a thing called sectional density. If I hunted Ohio I'd use a .375Win, 38-55, .444 Marlin or the 45-70 and leave the GeeWhiz behind. Stupid claims; stupid rendering of something that could have been good(.357AR). Rant over; tip your waitstaff.

Banned

David White is a master gunsmith and then some. I will believe him before someone else.
    I agree, there is so much hot air that this thread might just float away.

Banned
    When the first arrest happens be sure and post the details here.

As David said the bullets are .357 and that's what counts just like an 8x60 that shoots a .323 bullet down a .318 bore.

NYS went from shotgun ( smooth or rifled), pistol (35 cal. 4” bbl. or greater) or muzzleloader directly to rifle county by county. This was in the southern zone as the northern zone always allowed rifles. There was no evolution other than the county. They added a few counties year by year and now most of the state allows rifles.

NY went thru the same evolution and many areas that did not allow rifles now do. Evolution was from smooth bore shotguns>rifled shotguns>handguns>rifles. Some cynics have suggested that the change was made just to get more money for the "General Fund". The GF is used to keep those on the dole voting Democrat, not to enhance hunting and fishing.

BTW, I just heard on ESPN that Ohio is equipping all game wardens with pin gauges to measure rifle bores.

Banned

Boolit Master
    My point is the “legislation” of a non-existent cartridge design of dubious suitability for the intended purpose. Some of the government “designs” eliminate otherwise suitable cartridges, i.e. the .45-70 (it’s too long in some of these states). It is an attempt to make the past-time so hard to participate in that the participants quit (which is the actual desired result). It is nothing other than control of activity by government.
    Last edited by oldblinddog; 03-05-2019 at 09:08 PM.
    USMC 6638

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast