Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load DataReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suffered a casualty today

It can be brazed if the plating is removed and you know what you are doing. I have some of the rods that will braze zinc and other "pot metals". You want to back the part up at the break with a piece of steel or something because zinc likes to drop off when it gets to melting point.

I've used the Lee primer tools since 1978 and never broke one. Maybe I'm not using it right?
    Leo

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 44magLeo View Post
    I've used the Lee primer tools since 1978 and never broke one. Maybe I'm not using it right?
    Leo
    I was going to say something like this, except 1988 instead of 1978. I have 3 of these hand primers, complete.

However, I decided not to say anything, for fear I would ghost myself.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    My bad i didn't look close i thought you broke the arm not the handle not sure if newer ones will work or not.

Boolit Master

I had the same problem a few years ago, decided to try the newer tools. I have most all of the lee priming tools, I like most of them but I finally decided to get the franklin arsenal hand priming tool. I love it, it works more like the older lee hand primer but has better leverage and the depth of priming is adjustable. I even have the ram prime II.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Pm sent. Guesser, you a lucky man!! In my hodgepodge of Lee Auto Prime tools, was a unicorn!!
    Hahaha!!! Sometimes it pays to be a collector???
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    PM received and answered. Thank You!!

I just looked at the Franklin Arsenal priming tool and it looks very nice but at 70.00 from midway it’s a little too $$. With no more off press priming that I do I’ll keep using my auto prime until I run out of spares or can’t fix ‘em.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Baltimoreed View Post
    I just looked at the Franklin Arsenal priming tool and it looks very nice but at 70.00 from midway it’s a little too $$. With no more off press priming that I do I’ll keep using my auto prime until I run out of spares or can’t fix ‘em.
    I understand, it is a little pricey, but it does come with most any shell holder you will need. I've only had to add 1 to it for all the calibers I reload.

I know the dogbone out of the no good square primer is heavier than the dogbone in the old round primer. Although it will fit in the round primer, it will not function. At least mine wouldn't. Seems like a metal one could be fabricated, may look a little different but if the round ends were of proper size and length correct, it should work just fine. I like the old round hand primer, hate the square one, bought a Lee bench primer, not too over joyed with it either. The new large primer cartridge never did work, I sent it into Lee and they sent me another redesigned cartridge. Again, it's not so great.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    Just an update on "the casualty". I got a new XR lever, had to polish the bore so the push rod would slide in. The XR lever fit the base pivot pin nicely, no polishing required. I greased the contact points and put it together; it works!! Couple pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF2110.jpg   DSCF2111.jpg  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12