Snyders JerkyWidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Load Data Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suffered a casualty today

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri

Suffered a casualty today

Broke the lever to my 1980 Lee Auto prime. Does anyone have knowledge of a source for replacement parts for it?? A pic.....just because I plan to erect a memorial.
    That said, I'd like a replacement, anyone???
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF2108.jpg  

Boolit Master

That sucks I was able to find that part when mine broke a few years ago good luck and I know how you must feel
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master

A couple of small steel pins and generous application of JB Weld might put it back in action. I repaired some pot metal in this fashion a while back and it is holding up remarkably well.

That happened to mine too.
    I just wear a sturdy leather glove to use it.
    It's a little tough on my delicate little thumb without it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

I believe that new Autoprime levers will fit.

Boolit Master
    Might be a good time to look at a new auto bench primer.

Call lee.

They may have one floating around the warehouse with your name it

Or take it to a radiator shop and see if they'll tack it back together for you.

Boolit Master
    If you decide to buy new, the cheaper RCBS hand primer takes standard shell holders and inserts for large and small primers. I think I gave 40 bucks new for mine and im pretty happy.

Boolit Grand Master

Glue it together and carefully drill a pin hole in the boss and epoxy a pin in. on the out side face cut a piece of brass steel or aluminum sheet metal .080-.095 thick to match outside dimensions. With a coarse file rough up handle and one side of plate. A 6-8" double cut file used like a draw file gives a very rough grooved surface As does a thread file. glue this plate on clamping snugly but not pushing all the epoxy out. Let cure and break sharp edges polish up. Should last a lifetime.

Boolit Master

the dog bone will be the next to go. somebody needs to 3d print these parts.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    You would think, in this day of cnc machining and newer materials, someone would build these things out of something other than the original metal, or whatever that material was!!! I know I would pay the price for it. Just sayin’. Let me look and see if I got a spare.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Banned
    I had a supply of Lee Auto-prime units of the old round tray models but cannibalized them all until I was down to one functional unit. That one finally broke.
    The design isn't too bad but the materials are pathetically inferior. Not to criticize Lee products too much but Lee stuff is inexpensive for a reason.
    I don't prime off the press often but it is nice to be able to do so occasionally. I purchased the RCBS unit and it's a far better tool to fill that need.

Correction - I just checked, I still have one functional Lee Auto prime with a large primer tray. I must have had the parts to assemble one last unit. In any event, the RCBS is a better tool.
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 02-15-2019 at 09:16 AM.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I've also had good service from an early Hornady hand primer....and it takes standard shell holders as well. I still have 2 of the Lee auto prime, one each set for large and small. I don't want a bench mounted priming tool. Good conversation and good suggestions. Cogitation commences!!

Boolit Grand Master
    I favor the even older Lee Priming Tool... the one with the old screw-in shell holders. I grab up all I can for an assured supply of working units and or spare parts. I've seen some real Rube Goldberg repairs to some, especially the handles that seem to take the most abuse. Just glue it up and keep using it until you can scrounge up an actual replacement from a gun show, local gun shop, or yard sale. Buy extras when you see them!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I did find them in england a couple years ago but shipping was over $20 . Watch ebay i picked up several for spairs. I love these priming tools and this part always breaks sooner or later i know i have broke more than 6 or 7. Bought a bench prime it just would not feed the small primers lee sent new part free and works ok now but it just ain't as easy to use as the auto prime. Will be very sad when last one breaks. I do not think new ones fit they are just a little shorter and end is not tapered to fit.

Boolit Grand Master
    I broke the handle to my Lyman 450 and just a quick trip to the welder got 'er fixed. Don't know what material your tool is made from, but it might just be able to be welded.

Don’t think you can weld pot metal. Broke a few of these myself. Bought one in the box at the last big gunshow that I went to so I’ve got a spare. I’ve never repaired one as lee would send a replacement if you mailed them the broken part but now that they’re out of print I’d jb weld a piece of 1/8 in aluminum to it shaped like the handle. Rough it up good to give the jb something to hold on to.

Boolit Master
    That's how I fixed mine

Boolit Grand Master

There are brazes for diecast metals the problem is the chrome plating on this part will keep it from getting a good bond. The other is aluminum and these metals are hard to braze weld since thes no real color change, Steels turn red when ready to apply brazes, these metals may get a slight green tint just before they drop away molten.

Boolit Grand Master

I would be tempted to make a crude mould of plaster of paris , see utube videos, (my dad would make fishing lures like this) He would buy a lure from the store...since he fished in brushy spots he lost a lot of store boughts , make a mould and cast a bunch to fish with...my job was to paint them !
    After making a mould of the lever , take some of the zinc wheel weights that usually show up in the bucket , melt them and cast a new handle of zinc .
    The part will require cleaning up with a file to smooth rough edges but it should work....Maybe

The hard part would be getting the broken lever stuck together long enough to make the plaster of paris mould.

Dad got good at making his own spinner baits , would even make the spinners some from thin aluminum sheet metal and others from copper flashing.
    Last edited by gwpercle; 02-15-2019 at 04:42 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast