Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWideners
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: needing a new powder dispencer

Boolit Master

They're getting hard to find but if you run across an old SAECO powder measure at a tolerable price BUY IT! I've had one for 15 years and I love it. I have a Little Dandy and it is great for small charges. I also have an RCBS Uniflow, a Lyman 55 and Dillon progressive measures. The SAECO is the best on any size charge. The Little Dandy, Lyman and Dillon are about equal with most powders but with small charges of flat flakes, the oatmeal looking powders like Unique, the Dillon wins easily. On stick powders like H4895 the SAECO holds 0.1 grain tolerance. I find that a tap (or two taps) on the upstroke after dropping the last charge helps any rotary drum measure maintain consistency. Oh, the Uniflow? It's my least used powder measure. It's great for bigger charges of ball and flake powders but I'm most likely to load those charges either on a Dillon or on a single stage press using a Chargemaster 1500 to dispense powder. I only get +/- 0.2-0.3 grains with stick powders using the Uniflow.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    Used a 55 for years but I bought a Lee ppm after I used a friends ,both work well for me.

I’ve had good luck with the Hornady. I have one riding on my Hornady progressive, and another for all else.

USMC 77, USRA 79

I am here to tell you, for small charges, or powders that measure like gravel, or sugar for that matter, the Lyman Gen 6 is just super cool.. doesn’t take up a bunch of desk space like the RCBS, is super accurate, and do t care what sort of powder you are dropping and how low the charge, it just works. And under 200 bucks. I tell you, it works.
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I can tell you my rcbs that came in my complete kit I bought 2 decades ago has dropped up to a 2 grain varience at times. I bought an automatic chargemaster lite electronic trickle charger and scale all in one and don't use it anymore along with my manual trickle charger. Saves tons of time and very accurate.

I started with a Lyman 55, picked up several rcbs measures which are great with the micrometer adjustment but a few years ago I was given a Dillon 550 and have these measures mounted on 4 turret presses. A pain to get adjusted but once set they’re very consistent. I usual use my rcbs w/micrometer for load development. The rcbs with the small cavity works well. Gotta experiment and see what works and how picky you want to be. When I started this hobby I weighed every single powder throw, pistol and rifle, now I work up a load and go. I trust my measures and only weigh occasionally. Life too short.

Boolit Buddy
    have several laying around, use some, others for backup. Lil Dandy, RCBS Uniflow, Lyman 55,
    Harrell, Redding, and my ole friend RCBS Duo-measure, now that I have found a replacemnt
    hopper, gone is the old soda bottle fix, copper fitting fix, picked up a Ohaus model cheap because
    the hopper was broken, no problem.

-Rock

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by str8wal View Post
    Lyman 55. Mine drops small charges of Titegroup like a dream using the smallest slide.
    Just reaffirmed this observation yesterday. Loaded 350 rounds of .380 with 2.9 grains of TG, checking every 20 or so and every one was well within .1 of a grain, most dead on.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12