RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLee Precision
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Scored a drum of wheel weights!

I was worried about you tying up your trailer for a long time, but wow, you are already finished with the job.. Well done.

Boolit Master

How much zinc do you think there was? Would it pay to render it to ingot form I wonder? It is worth more than mixed steel scrap certainly I would think.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master

Last fall I took in all my metal scrap. I was surprised to find that I had 1100 lbs of steel and 400 lbs of zinc from all the wheel weights I've sorted in the past couple of years. While I was there I looked in the brass barrel. There was a BUNCH of .44 Mag brass and .45 ACP brass. I learned a long time ago to take my shellshorter.com baskets with me to the scrap yard. I ended up with over 700 pieces of .44 Mag brass and about 4 gallons of .45 ACP brass. $1.50 a lb.

While sorting the brass I noticed a barrel of wheel weights. It was about 3/4 full. I took a good hard look and sorted some of what I could see. It was obvious that it had come from a shop that serviced big trucks as there were some heavy weights in there. I asked about the price and it was $0.50 a lb. Scrap lead was $1.00 a lb.

I purchased the barrel. The weight was 900 lbs. My total lead score from that thing was 799 lbs. Very little zinc. Some iron. Not enough stick-on to worry about separating it.

My wife was mad because I spent the money but I was happier than all get out.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Grand Master

Nice Score!

I save my reject brass to sell as scrap. I guess I need to smash it first. I would hate for another reloader to buy it thinking he could use it. Its probably not a problem here because the scrap yards won't sell to the public.

Boolit Master
    There are no actual scrap yards around here. The best I can do is individual tire shops. I visited one a couple of years ago. He had a 5 gallon bucket about 1/2 full of wheel weights. I asked for a price, and he said just take them. I brought them home, sorted them, and less than 1/2 of that bucket was actual lead WW. I did make a couple of ingots, but it was hardly worth the effort. The least expensive way for me to get lead for casting boolits is to just buy it.

Boolit Bub

Quote Originally Posted by frkelly74 View Post
    How much zinc do you think there was? Would it pay to render it to ingot form I wonder? It is worth more than mixed steel scrap certainly I would think.
    I've sold zinc right here on cast boolits for $1.00/lb.-about 17 lbs. IIRC. Evil bay will bring much more--3-$10/lb. if you want to mess with it, but ingots should be of a shape to be bolted onto a surface. Steve

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123