Snyders JerkyRepackboxLee PrecisionWideners
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: 45-70 powder ?

45-70 powder ?

I,m looking at my reloading handbook and it is saying h-4895 is a potentially accurate powder but I don,t have that powder but I do have imr - 4895 would that work bout the same ?

No there different burn rates so won’t work the same I have a lot of cartridges that use the imr and I bought the h version which I haven’t even opened it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Hodgdon has a free reloading website and shows both powders (they own them both) for all bullets and loads. Here's the link. Go there and find the info you need http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle

Vendor Sponsor

No, as said, they are not exactly the same. But that may give you the wrong idea. They are very close in a low pressure load application.

You can use it if you start, as you should in any case, with the starting load. You can even back off a few grains to be extra-extra safe.

I would try large rifle magnum primers because any of these IMR slow powder loads in the 45-70 burn better and show better accuracy when helped along with a stronger spark.

None of these IMR powders or their clones from the "book" tested loads produce very high pressure if you stick within the guidelines. Often these can be VERY accurate and I would expect you will like how it shoots.
    Last edited by Chill Wills; 02-14-2019 at 12:24 PM.
    Chill Wills

I have been using IMR-4198 in my 45/70 loads. In my Marlin 1895 that powder has given me accuracy of one inch at 100 yards using 43 and 44 grains behind a 350 gr. ranch dog RNFP boolit. Same accuracy with that load using the Hornady 350 RNFP jacketed bullet. That load is just below 29,000 CUP in pressure which allows me to use it in my Pedersoli 1874 Sharps rifle with the same accuracy with both cast and jacketed bullets. Velocity in the Marlin is around 1900 fps and have taken several buffalo and one feral hog with one shot kills. I tried H-4895 several years ago and did not get as good of accuracy that I do with IMR-4198. Your rifle may be different.

Boolit Grand Master

I use both IMR4895 and H4895 in 45-70 loads for 400 - 500 gr bullets both cast and jacketed. I use both to duplicate M1873 and M1882 (405 and 500 gr cast) rifle service loads. I also use a Dacron filler.

I started using both powders years ago for heavy loads in my Siamese Mauser 450-400-70. Based off data I received from Lyman I also use both powders in my trapdoor smokeless loads with both weight bullets. I've pressure tested both powders and would not get wrapped around the axle over any difference in burn rate. The main difference to me is H4895, being smaller kernelled, meters a bit more accurately through powder throwers and the newer is an "Extreme" powder. Both powders work very well with 400 gr + bullets in the 45-70.

What rifle?
    What bullet?
    What level of load?
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

rifle=marlin lever bullit =350 gr swift a frame vel = top end for big brown with teeth and claws

Boolit Grand Master

You're in business! With IMR4895 you will hit 100% load density before you reach max psi for your Marlin. Suggest you start at 50 gr and work up in 1 gr increments to 58 - 59 gr which is probable 100% load density with that bullet depending on case length, oal and where/how you crimp it. Magnum primers are not needed and a filler is not needed either. Of course still watch for the usual pressure signs as you work up and stop if they appear. You'll find a load there or your shoulder will give out............

FYI; I have pressure tested 62 gr of H 4895 and 61 gr IMR 4895 under a 400 gr Speer seated out to and crimp in the bottom canalure groove. they gave a tudge over 36,000 psi at 1978 +/- fps out of a 24" barrel.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla