WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything

Thread: No idea how DS arms stays in business.

Boolit Master

No idea how DS arms stays in business.

I took the chance, not a whole lot of choice when it comes to buying a FN FAL barrel. Maybe save a little on a surplus barrel, but then the savings spent on gas system parts to match. One that came in mine is STG58, same as DS sells. I had the idea 'put in your cart' meant they had it on hand, put it in a box and send it to you. Barrel next to it on the page said 'out of stock'. No its some new form of in stock, like going to wal mart for corn flakes and they have the corn, just have to make the flakes. Yea the parts for the barrel are all there, but they still have to assemble them.

Funny I have made 2 orders to midway, 1st 3 days after placing the order at DS arms. That one arrived, I placed another order a week later, its already here. Still waiting on DS arms to put that in stock barrel in a box and ship it.

Banned

Ah the world of JIT , just in time stock management including drop shipping.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    We were supposed to have 20,000 oil pads and other oil spill equipment on hand at all times as required by the Coast Guard. Every 6 months the Coast Guard would show up and since all of the stuff was stored in a 40' trailer. We'd go in and could the boxes and bales the pads come in and multiply the amount of pads by how many boxes or bales we had. Easy Peasy Right?. Turns out the boxes held 200 oil pads while the bales held more. Took out all the boxs the contractor delivers the required bales to give us 20,000 oil pads. The old boxes went to the generation station for their daily supply. But then again there was stuff we had to keep on hand that fell outside of the normal channels. Buyers raised the roof more than once when certain items were ordered. They were usually told NYCFD required us to store this stuff and if we don't have it on hand then we get fined. that usually calmed them down. My old boss complained that no records were kept. Went down to the station and asked how he managed to miss all the files in the file cabinet next to my desk where all the records were kept. He was trying to make me look bad but his own stupidty tripped him up. Frank

Boolit Master
    Trying to figure out how Midway can send me a package vie priority mail USPS and it takes 2 days, from Missouri. But DSarms sent it monday, via USPS priority mail, and it might be here monday, from Illinois. I need a locking shoulder or any other parts, I will be finding another source.

Banned

Many times that internet deal ain't so great. I saw a fella last week come back to the shop 3 times for parts on a build. He mentioned after he does his build for us to check his work.

Which will require a total tear down and reassemble.

Could have built it for him

Boolit Master
    Internet is the only choice on something like this. Local shop can't even swap an AR barrel much less anything else.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Many local shops are just parts changers . They might be able to "fit" parts with a big hammer but that's about all .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master
    With FAL's - it's either DSA or EBay... maybe if you are lucky - you can put an ad on FALfiles....

10 years ago you could get those parts everywhere.... Now, not so much.

I think if I was dealing with DSA - I would just call them... It's not a huge place..

Boolit Master
    http://gunthings.com/

No new barrels, but very good folks to do business with. And, if they say that they have it, they can actually put hands on it!

ETA: Actually, they DO have new barrels!
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Grand Master

Some of these things are what was known as fill in work in shops where I worked. When the main jobs were slow and there was "extra" time these were ran to fill in the time. The company that makes lab radar is a big government supplier and military supplier when these contracts are up or slow then the lab radars get the attentions. Others are like this. a lot of smaller barrel makers have deep hole drilling contracts and other machine work to pay the bills the barrels fill in. In our tool room we knew the High use grippers and parts. When work orders were slow we pulled the prints for these parts and made them. Or needed tooling.

Boolit Master
    It finally showed up, and the crown has a ding in it. A crowning tool was one of my better investments. A little bit of lathe work to get it to fit. Lined up fine, needs a locking shoulder.