Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: Trigger pull weight on hunting/target pistols?

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

Trigger pull weight on hunting/target pistols?

I ordered a Wolff spring kit for my colt andaconda and installed it today. I figured I’d try the $13 dual spring kit to see if it would lighten up my double action and trigger pull. Before I installed it my factory trigger pull was 42 oz. and pretty easy to run double action. I figured the Wolff kit would light both pulls. After I installed the Wolff kit my trigger pull was a whopping 58 oz and about another 2 plus pounds to cycle my double action. Needless to say my factory springs went back into my pistol. I’m thinking about polishing my trigger but I don’t know how much it will help with single stage trigger pull.

The good part about the whole situation is when I removed the grips I found the plate screw under the grip was missing! Can’t fix what you don’t know is broke. I never removed the grip since I bought the pistol new so I’m guessing it was never installed. Colt of course dose not stock parts for them anymore and I was lucky enough to find a new/ old stock replacement stainless screw for $12 shipped off eBay. Also found my red dot I installed last year slid all the way back to the bell and scraped off the black coating exposing the aluminum on the bottom where it’s not noticeable. Been having the worst time with slipping optics lately. Explains why it shot a foot to the left after I sighted it in. I touched it up with a marker and sprayed some 3M super 77 adhesive inside the rings and reinstalled and torqued to 25 inch pounds. I canted the optic and it took an act of god to get it straight even with all the ring screws finger loose. That red dot won’t slip now...that’s for sure.

So back to my question, what do you shooters have your pistol triggers braking at?
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 02-13-2019 at 09:54 PM.

Boolit Master
    A truly bad trigger will definitely prevent you from shooting your best, but there really isn't much gain between a "decent" trigger and a really good trigger. I've been shooting competition for forty years (and doing very well at it), and I've owned dozens of target handguns and hunting handguns. I've had some of the best pistolsmiths in the country build guns for me and I can tell you for a fact that getting your trigger down below 2-2.5lbs doesn't gain you much. If your trigger is crisp and properly positioned for your trigger finger you have enough to shoot the gun to its potential if you're up to the task. I've actually had these pistolsmiths advise me not to go too low on weight on a couple of guns. I've set records with box-stock triggers in some guns and they were probably around 3lbs. If you've got 42oz on your Anaconda, leave it alone. You won't gain anything going lighter if the trigger breaks cleanly at that weight. Being a Colt, I'm assuming it does. Super light triggers are somewhat over rated. Both my Bill Davis revolvers broke at 2.5-2.75lbs and would shoot a ragged hole at fifty yards. Spend your time developing good trigger control and don't worry about the weight as much as the control factor.
    Last edited by NSB; 02-13-2019 at 11:44 PM.

Thanks, it’s crisp and light enough for me. I’ll leave it alone since the parts are not growing in trees for them any more. My 45 colt vaquero brakes at a crisp 45 oz from factory and my 329pd nite guard is around 64oz. I’d like to see the S&W brake a little lighter but after talking with Wolff it sounded like their spring kit was hit or miss on whether it would lighten my pull on it.

My missing plate screw showed today in the mail. Of course I had to mess with it. Inspected my trigger and found that where it mates with the sear the lip was rolled over on the edge. I could catch my fingernail on it. I stoned it smooth and polished it. It actually broke a little heavier after I was done. I remembered doing the old trick of applying some force pushing the hammer forward and then pulling the trigger to help remove any burrsand lighten the triggers in my old H&R’s. I did that a good dozen and a half times. The process removed 3 oz of pull weight . The trigger now brakes at a crisp 39 oz. I wouldn’t want it any lighter that’s for sure. It should be great for long distance hunting now. It’s amazing how light it feels with only three ounces removed.

Boolit Grand Master

Perceived pull weight is also affected by length of travel and release. A short quick release feels much lighter than a long slow one. My service rifle triggers had to hold 4 1/2 lbs to be "legal" in the matches. the 2 stage triggers were set up so half the pull weight was held in the first stage and release in the second stage was only .010-.015 travel and the last 2 1/4 lbs or so. Mant when trying the trigger thought it was only a pound or 2 total.

When I had triggers done on my favorite hunting revolvers I specified 3 pounds with no creep. Crisp is better than mushy even if it is heavy. I have one custom .44 I bought that had been worked over by a well known pistol smith that is at 2 pounds. I really think that is too light. for a hunting gun when cold fingers are a possibility.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.