RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Wideners

Thread: Single heater for 2 lubrisizers build

Single heater for 2 lubrisizers build

I put this together yesterday but havent used it yet. Need to cast some more bullets first. The midway heater will heat the orange Lyman sizer up pretty quickly so when I picked up the grey one recently I thought that I’d see if the heater would work with two. Plan on having a .30 cal die in one and a .45 die in the other. Used an extra piece of aluminum to move the heat between them, 1/4 inch furniture nuts and an oak board for the base.
    Attachment 235917Attachment 235918Attachment 235919

Sorry, I don't believe that will transfer the heat enough during cool weather. Some other options would be a thick aluminum plate under a luber with an adjustable cloths iron or an oil pan heater attached.
    A deplorable that votes!

Boolit Buddy
    I use two sizers side by side like you show. I use a small clothes iron on a 1/4 inch steel plate with the iron between them touching each sizer. It has worked very well as the iron has a heat control.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I agree that it may be a little weak. It could work, if you start it perhaps an hour early and let it spread the warmth as far as it can. It sure won't hurt to try, since you've got 'er built. Good luck with it!
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Buddy
    It's a comfy 96 F (38 C ) here today, one of the great things about living in the tropics we don't need a heaters.

I'd put some sort of insulation under the plate so the heat can't sink off into anything else metal.

The only reason I wouldn't do it is because I like having plenty of 'elbow room' when I'm using the sizer.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

The Lyman heaters element is mounted on a 1/4 in aluminum plate which is mounted on a piece of oak. My single sizer was bolted to the 1/4 in plate originally, I’ve added a piece of 1/8 in aluminum plate directly onto the 1/4 in plate with my 2 sizers bolted on it. The heat should transfer just fine but it might take a bit longer to get hot. Also there is a thermostat on the lyman unit so I can always turn it up if needed. Need to cast some tomorrow before the ugly weather comes back in.

Attachment 236361I cast up some .455 Webley HB boolits yesterday. Today I plugged in my modded lubrisizers and tried them out, they heated up just fine. Didn’t seem to take any longer than when I had the single unit on the heater plate, maybe 5-10 minutes. I lubbed/sized over 100 boolits. I did like the older forked handle assembly better than the newer style handle. Just felt better, a different angle to the handle. I might try to retrofit the orange sizer handle to the older style. Plenty of room too. And my reloading room is a 10x10 kitchen addition I built 40 years ago so the temperature is regulated.

Update-found the parts needed to convert my 450 into an earlier version with the split red handle. Had to polish the collar where the ram slides a few thou to get the older ram to fit.
    Last edited by Baltimoreed; 02-24-2019 at 10:32 AM.